"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

SLAYER

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> SLAYER

Displaying 18 posts
Displaying 18 posts
Nov 4, 2009 6:12 PM ET #1 (permalink)

You know they went from punkish metal, to full on heavy metal it cant get any better...

Nov 4, 2009 6:28 PM ET #2 (permalink)

*Facepalm

Nov 4, 2009 7:24 PM ET #3 (permalink)

*Palmface

Nov 4, 2009 7:40 PM ET #4 (permalink)

This thread is bad and you should feel bad!

Nov 4, 2009 8:50 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Lol. C'mon guys, give the kid a break!

Anyways, Slayer's first album (Show No Mercy) was heavily influenced by Judas Priest & Iron Maiden. Therefore, sounding very melodic. Their following albums (Hell Awaits & Reign In Blood) were influenced by the likes of Motorhead and Venom. Thus, sounding extremely fast and diabolic. In conclusion, Slayer's sound has only been slightly changing throughout the years.

(This post was last edited on November 4, 2009 at 9:10 PM ET.)

Nov 5, 2009 1:36 AM ET #6 (permalink)

To give the kid his kitkat, if we draw the Motorhead comparison then we can say that Slayer was at least influenced by a band that has strong punk roots. Saying Slayer themselves were ever punk, however, would be something of a stretch, I think.

Nov 5, 2009 3:51 AM ET #7 (permalink)

can not find the motorhead connection i the slayer music
must say a bid venom

Nov 9, 2009 10:56 AM ET #8 (permalink)

Slayer did do Undisputed Attitude, though, Psythe. They were covers by Slayer, but they're still Punk songs.

Nov 11, 2009 10:40 AM ET #9 (permalink)

well you know they do take after venom big time. and they are one of my favorite bands all time favorite song. man, myth, and magic. but kerry king is an exellent guitarist and you can see some resemblence in vomon and slayers guitars. tom mariahs vocals from slayer is alot alike venoms.

Nov 11, 2009 10:45 AM ET #10 (permalink)

i dont wanna argue but you guys are saying that the songs richard hung him self, cant stand you, dissinegration/free money, guilyt of being white do not resemble punkish metal at all just listen to them.

Nov 11, 2009 10:47 AM ET #11 (permalink)

I take it back, this guy doesn't deserve his Kitkat.
Tom Mariah, seriously?

And they aren't supposed to sound punk, its the fact that they are covers of Punk songs.

Nov 11, 2009 11:01 AM ET #12 (permalink)

just listen to them i know they arent punk at all but sound a little punkish in those songs

Nov 11, 2009 11:04 AM ET #13 (permalink)

Your getting this whole 'Undisputed Attitude is a Punk COVER album' thing, right?

They didn't like how they sounded doing covers of stuff like Deep Purple and Judas Priest, so they decided to dip into Punk covers for one album.

Nov 11, 2009 11:13 AM ET #14 (permalink)

*takes the kitkat and eats it* Mine!

Nov 11, 2009 11:16 AM ET #15 (permalink)

Slayer is a great band period with their own distinct sound and like all bands they were also infuenced by their favorite bands which some happened to be punk. I believe this added to their incredible sound.

Nov 11, 2009 11:20 AM ET #16 (permalink)

yess yess yess thank you

Nov 11, 2009 11:26 AM ET #17 (permalink)

you know you just gotta listen to those songs

Nov 11, 2009 11:50 PM ET #18 (permalink)

You get what Tundra was saying with the covers, right? EX: Guilty of Being White is a song by Minor Threat (drum roll please), a punk band! To establish MU cred, please name a Slayer song that sounds punk but isn't a cover. Thank you for playing.

And I know Tundra brought this up, but...Tom Mariah? *Facekeyboard

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum