"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

favorite and least favorite metal genre.

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> favorite and least favorite metal genre.

Displaying posts 26 - 33 of 33 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 26 - 33 of 33 1 2 Last
Nov 9, 2009 10:36 PM ET #26 (permalink)

I'm with Cynic on the Doom metal... it's nice to see another fan of doom metal (funeral doom in particular)

favorites: melo-death, industrial, symphonic, and doom
least favorites: -core (of course), black (with the exception of Samael, but they're kind of black/industrial)

I like some thrash and power metal too, but I wouldn't say they're my favorites.

Nov 9, 2009 11:31 PM ET #27 (permalink)

The problem is, even if I say I hate a genre, there are dozens of exceptions. (I hate black metal, but love Dimmu) On the flip side of that, Even if I say I love genre, sometimes it's only a few bands from that genre that make me love it, while the majority of bands suck (grindcore, so I understand why a lot of people cant stand it)

But, even with my detestations, I will make generalizations....:P

Fave: grindcore, mathcore, when done tastefully, and Doom are right at the top, but I listen to alot more Death metal than anything else. However, that Death metal has top be in some way experimental(Faceless), technical(Necrophagist, Nile), prog(Opeth) or have some sort of undefinable x-factor that makes them awesome(Behemoth, Hypocrisy) Bland straight death metal usually doesnt exite me much.

Least: Definitely deathcore. the only band in the genre I like is After the Burial, and that like is defined by their rediculous technicality and composition. Black metal, especially older black metal, doesnt sit very well with me at all. However, Dimmu borgir is a notable exception, and I do enjoy when the genre is mixed with other's to create something better (Skeletonwitch, Goatwhore, Inactive Messiah) In general though, cant stand, the vocals, the production, and the style overall. Don't like it.

and fuck screamo.

Nov 9, 2009 11:59 PM ET #28 (permalink)

fav: death/thrash and thrash
least: symphonic metal

Funny I like symphonic black metal a lot, but dislike regular symphonic metal. It just doesn't do anything for me and if the keyboards aren't creating a dark and erie effect, they generally annoy me.

Nov 10, 2009 12:20 AM ET #29 (permalink)

"I actually think genres are pretty handy when it comes to helping find and describe bands, it's just that I can't really pick a favorite genre of music, let alone a sub-genre of metal. About 60% of the stuff in my library is metal, but I listen to metal about 43.57% of the time, haha. It all depends on my mood."

This, combine with this: "The problem is, even if I say I hate a genre, there are dozens of exceptions."
And this: "Funny I like symphonic black metal a lot, but dislike regular symphonic metal."

Nov 10, 2009 12:30 PM ET #30 (permalink)

Yeah, in that case, "symphonic" is more of a modifier than a genre. They are styles within a genre. Like melodic metal vs melodic death metal vs. melodic metalcore.

It doesn't make much sense to hate a genre if there are dozens of exceptions though. There are plenty of styles that I am not particularly fond of outside of the handful or dozen bands I like within them, but I would not say I hate a genre under such circumstances. Doesn't make sense. Except for that symphonic viking nu-metal that you listen to, psythe. I hate that.

Nov 10, 2009 1:50 PM ET #31 (permalink)

symphonic viking numetal? lol

Nov 10, 2009 6:43 PM ET #32 (permalink)

ahah yeah that one's got me confused... who the hell is symphonic viking nu-metal, and why havn't I heard this abomination yet? lol

"It doesn't make much sense to hate a genre if there are dozens of exceptions though" - true, I'd have said a few fingers' worth of exceptions, myself, but I was quoting. If you lke DOZENS of bands in a genre, you like the genre. And I see what you're saying about the melodic style within a genre thing. I love MDM, but I don't listen to much melodic metal/core, so I'd still say I like melodic death rather than just saying I like melodic, I guess.

Nov 11, 2009 11:03 AM ET #33 (permalink)

Fav. black death thrashheavy and classic metal
least fav. hardcore screamo. it sucks

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum