"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

favorite and least favorite metal genre.

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> favorite and least favorite metal genre.

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 33 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 33 1 2 Last
Nov 3, 2009 9:41 PM ET #1 (permalink)

least favorite: black metal
Most favorite:thrash or extreme metal

Nov 3, 2009 10:00 PM ET #2 (permalink)

fav: prog anything, but death/thrash in particular
least fav: hardcore, if we're considering the -core's part of the metalverse.

Nov 3, 2009 10:27 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Favorite: Death, black, thrash, prog, classic rock, and doom.

Least favorite: Power metal. There are only a few power metal bands I like.

Nov 4, 2009 7:39 AM ET #4 (permalink)

Favourite: Heavy metal, thrash metal and doom/stoner metal
Least favourite: Deathcore, metalcore

Simples.

Nov 4, 2009 8:40 AM ET #5 (permalink)

Favourite : Prog, death and thrash.
Least favourite : Blake Metuhl, power metal, deathcore and derivative metal in general.

Nov 4, 2009 3:51 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Favorite - 80's Extreme Metal (preferably Thrash & Death)

Least Favorite - Deathcore, Metalcore, Grindcore, Brutal Death Metal, & Folk Metal

Nov 4, 2009 4:21 PM ET #7 (permalink)

i forgot about grindcore... can't stand it

Nov 4, 2009 4:24 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Favorite: Doom Metal, 80's Thrash Metal, NWOBHM, Death Metal, early Black Metal.
Least- Power Metal, Folk Metal (mix of the two sounds even worse).

Nov 4, 2009 4:38 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Favorite: Prog. Death/Tech. Death

Least favorite: probably power

Nov 5, 2009 11:28 AM ET #10 (permalink)

favorite deathcore

least favorite death meatal, thrash meatal, black metal, metal. shits for pussys man.

the core cant be stoped, breakdowns in, fag ass guitar solos out

FRANK THE TANK!!!!!!

Nov 5, 2009 6:00 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Y'all tank postin' in a troll thread.

Nov 5, 2009 11:42 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Fav: Heavy Metal, Metalcore, Thrash
Least Fav: Techno metal, Black Metal

Nov 6, 2009 12:10 AM ET #13 (permalink)

Favorite--melodic death, neo-thrash, and glam metal
Least--deathcore

who would be considered a power metal band?

Nov 6, 2009 12:20 AM ET #14 (permalink)

^Dragonforce. Manowar. Gamma Ray. Blind Guardian. Stratovarius. Helloween. Custard. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I apologise for mentioning Dragonforce.

I think if we leave out the -cores, my least favourite would have to be straight Death. Like Cannibal Corpse. I just don't get it. Soon as you mix it with tech or melodic or prog or whatever I love it, tho, so... I dunno, whatever.

(This post was last edited on November 6, 2009 at 12:23 AM ET.)

Nov 6, 2009 12:53 AM ET #15 (permalink)

Thanks psythe! I always wondered what subgenre they fell under. I understand why it's been so many people's least favorite now lol

Nov 6, 2009 1:42 AM ET #16 (permalink)

Most: Doom, thrash, power, black, death, funeral doom

Least: Core

Nov 6, 2009 5:32 AM ET #17 (permalink)

I actually really like Custard, but yeah, not a big Power Metal fan, definitely one of my least favs. I probably wouldn't mind it so much if they didn't insist on having lyrics about retarded shit like Tolkien fantasies. Great books, and all, but with lyrics like that, and vocals like that, and ridiculous solos like that, Power Metal just comes off as over-the-top and silly in most cases for me. As I said, Custard I really like though. Exception to every rule, I guess.

Nov 6, 2009 10:01 AM ET #18 (permalink)

thrashmetal deathmetal oldschool heavymetal

dont like anything where is to much keyboard noise playes a important role
dont like symphonic rock

actually do like power metal like halloween and gamaray and have to say pantera belongs in there as well

anyone did hear the new udo
his new cd good old school metal

Nov 6, 2009 2:43 PM ET #19 (permalink)

I haven't heard an U.D.O. album since "Thunderball." I liked him a little better as Accept's frontman.

Nov 6, 2009 4:31 PM ET #20 (permalink)

I wouldn't say that Pantera belongs in the Power Metal genre....if anything they are more thrash than any other but I myself has always considered them the straight Heavy Metal

Nov 9, 2009 10:54 AM ET #21 (permalink)

Favorite: Thrash, speed metal
Least: I like a wide variety of metal, but if I had to choose its power metal and Death Metal. I listen to Death Metal, its just not my favorite when its stacked up

Nov 9, 2009 2:04 PM ET #22 (permalink)

Favorites (in no particular order): Folk Metal, Folk/Death Metal, Death/Doom Metal, Doom Metal, Symphonic Metal, Melodeath.

Least: With rare exception, black metal. Brutal death metal. (and the *core's, if we are counting those).

(This post was last edited on November 9, 2009 at 2:09 PM ET.)

Nov 9, 2009 2:05 PM ET #23 (permalink)

Favorite - Good metal

Least - Shit metal

Nov 9, 2009 2:23 PM ET #24 (permalink)

totaly agreed with natsquatch

i like good metal
i dislike shit metal

sums it up perfectly.
fuck all this subgenre bullshit. it does not exist in my realm!

(This post was last edited on November 9, 2009 at 2:25 PM ET.)

Nov 9, 2009 3:59 PM ET #25 (permalink)

I actually think genres are pretty handy when it comes to helping find and describe bands, it's just that I can't really pick a favorite genre of music, let alone a sub-genre of metal. About 60% of the stuff in my library is metal, but I listen to metal about 43.57% of the time, haha. It all depends on my mood.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum