"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Concerts

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Concerts

Displaying 16 posts
Displaying 16 posts
Jul 9, 2009 6:05 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Do you remember the very first concert/gig that you attended?

What bands/artists were on the line-up?

What was the highlight of the day/night?

Anything else that you want add?

My first concert was the "Unholy Alliance Tour" in Long Beach, CA back in '06. I had plenty of other shows to attend years before this one but, I didn't have much money and transportation at the time.

The line-up consisted of Slayer (Headlining of Course), Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Mastodon, & Thine Eyes Bleed.

The highlight of the night was probably the last few mins of Slayer's set. They played "Angel of Death" and 5 massive pits erupted! It was nearly 5 minutes of maximum violence.

Also, I remember going to take a piss during Lamb of God's setup and some dude was just pounding his girlfriend in one of the toilet stalls. Moans and groans echoed throughout the halls. Overall, it was a great night of metal. \,,l l,,/

Jul 9, 2009 6:13 PM ET #2 (permalink)

My first concert was Motorhead at the Hammersmith Apollo. Support came from The Wildhearts and Young Heart Attack. YHA sucked but The Wildhearts were good. Motorhead was awesome. I can't remember too much about that night actually. I nearly got in a fight while waiting in line with one of my mates because he was moaning all the time and kept fucking about. I remember getting so pumped when Motorhead covered the Sex Pistols I turned around to my other mate, Chris, and strangled him (it's an old British punk thing, don't ask). Don't worry he saw the funny side of it. After the show we couldn't hear for three days. Lesson learned. In future bring earplugs!

Jul 9, 2009 6:59 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Led Zepplin at the Superdome in NOLA. It's been so long I can't remember what year it was (I think 74-75) but they were touring Black Dog. I think the warm up act was called Gorilla? Oh yeah and the tickets were $4.00ea. I went with my mommy. lol. We also saw Joe Cocker that summer at the same venue.

Jul 9, 2009 7:02 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Oh yeah... The highlight of the day? LOL. I saw Zepplin fuckers!!! And I saw my mom stoned for the first time ever.

Jul 9, 2009 8:03 PM ET #5 (permalink)

My first concert was the Iowa Jam in 1975... I was only 6yrs old, so I don't remember much of it.
The lineup was The Babys, Love, Charlie Daniels Band and Foghat headlined.!

First show as a maturing metal head.?
Rush - Moving Pictures tour/spring of 1981
opening band was Max Webster(also from Canada)

High points that I remember...
Seeing Geddy Lee playing his double neck Rickenbacker during Xanadu.!
Neil Pearts drum solo.!
Alex Lifeson's guitar solo.!
In the beginning of "A Farewell to Kings", Alex Lifeson was leaned over playing a classical guitar on a stand, and as he backed away to start the next part of the song on his electric, the stand fell over and the classical guitar hit the stage falling into pieces.. He walked over and kicked the pieces into the crowd.!
The best part of the night..? Seeing Rush...!!

Jul 9, 2009 8:04 PM ET #6 (permalink)

1st concert. Was The Clash @ the Santa Monica Civic .
March 3/1980. With my Uncle and Cousin.

Dont remember much. But I know I fuckin loved The Clash
and still do.

\m/\m/ Joe Strummer \m/\m/

Jul 9, 2009 8:05 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Oh yeah... Ticket price for that Rush concert.? $7.50

Jul 9, 2009 8:06 PM ET #8 (permalink)

My best friend and I saw the two main NZ metal acts, Dawn of Azazel and 8 Foot Sativa. Can't remember how old I was but remember not being drunk so can't have been too old.

Highlight (we still joke about it now) was a dude obviously on some form of meth, pretending to "air-drum" but really using it as an excuse to violently elbow people for no reason. Also memorable for seeing the largest bouncer I've ever laid eyes on suddenly snap and take some guy down. Talked to the DoA guitarist afterwards (super cool) and he signed something for me, bought a sticker which still resides on my guitar. Good times.

Jul 9, 2009 11:48 PM ET #9 (permalink)

First real concert was Acid Bath not long after Kite String was released.

The best show was seeing Machine Fawking Head, or as they say in Europe, Mushy Ned, in Luxembourg. It was ofr the Ashes tour, and it rocked so fucking hard.

One of my buddies who came with me got shitty and passed out in the foyer and missed the whole show. Everytime I'd remind him, he's tell me to shut the fuck up.

Jul 10, 2009 1:38 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Well, excluding the Des Moines Symphony performances of the Nutcracker my parents forced me to go to, my first concert was a Crosby, Stills and Nash accoustic performance at Hilton Auditorium (Ames, IA). I was only 8 or 9 and was blown away...especially by Graham Nash. The next haircut I got was a Nash replica. I'm still a pretty big CSN/Y fan.

My first metal concert was Metallica also at Hilton ('03 I think? can't remember when). Godsmack opened and actually weren't that bad. Metallica played and awesome set and wrecked the place (metaphorically)!

Jul 10, 2009 4:34 AM ET #11 (permalink)

Way back in '06, Carpathian. Have seen them 11 times since them lol.

Jul 10, 2009 6:53 AM ET #12 (permalink)

damm it i am afraid to tell
my first concert was with my dad he used to be a stoner
it was deep purple in germany was about 10 years old

but my best concert do think metallica with cliff buton
kill em all just came out
and dont forget saxon in suport of judas priest

Jul 10, 2009 8:44 AM ET #13 (permalink)

My first gig was actually the Download Festival last year. It was before I even went to a local gig or anything. I loved it :) I was really into rock and more punk orientated stuff back then. So I saw bands like Madina Lake, Biffy Clyro, Within Temptation, Bullet For My Valentine, Offspring, Kids In Glass Houses, Incubus (who were shit) and Airbourne. My favourite things from that were getting a t-shirt signed by Bullet, seeing their set :P and watching Airbourne, whose Joel managed to climb the scaffloding at the side of the stage and tie an Austrailian flag to it (which he'd hijacked from the crowd), and then proceed to play his guitar up there while hanging on by his legs...that was pretty damn cool.

But my first 'gig' gig was Bullet for My Valentine, supported by Lacuna Coil, Bleeding Through and Black Tide. It was amazing...so ha! That was in November last year. My favourite bit was managing to get from right a the back to basically right at the front in time for BFMV to get on stage. Other than loving the fact I was deafened afterwards. I know that Bullet aren't well liked on here by any means but I do love them :P

Jul 10, 2009 4:23 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Mine was the Pledge of Allegiance tour with (as all know): Slipknot, System of a Down, Rammstein, American Head Charge, and (no shit) a band called No One (pretty self-descriptive, huh?).

Best part(s): seeing Slipknot in top, authentic form. Seeing SoaD in top form (honestly, so far, one of the best acts I've seen, rhythmically). Seeing Rammstein and not dying of heat-stroke.

My best memory of any show though was seeing Mudvayne about two years later. My mom and I were leaving and got chased down by who I can only assume was Chad's girlfriend, which then resulted in me meeting him backstage and receiving a crash cymbol signed by the band.

Jul 10, 2009 4:34 PM ET #15 (permalink)

My best concert going moments would be:

Interviewing Alex Skolnick and Paul Bostaph before Metal Masters.

The who trip to Blackest of the Black and Free-fest.

Getting a busted Sean Reinert (Cynic) drum stick. The way it broke turned it into a dagger.

Watching Warbringer's vocalist blow chunks on stage and not missing a beat....and then seeing Warbringer again and giving their vocalist a homemade "Barf Without End" barf bag.

Jul 12, 2009 12:16 PM ET #16 (permalink)

Bare naked ladies when I was ten at red rock in colorado.
My first Metal Show was God Smack, Shine Down and SoiL when I was 12. Right up in front in the GA

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum