"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Expanding my tastes

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Expanding my tastes

Displaying 18 posts
Displaying 18 posts
Oct 28, 2009 11:05 AM ET #1 (permalink)

My Dad raised me on Metal, which is probably one of the greatest things I could've been exposed too at a young age. He also raised me as metal biased, which sucks. I'm a major Thrash head, can't get enough of it. But all my friends listen to Death Metal, which I can't stand personally. I'm pretty narrow minded about my music, but I'd like to give this shit a try.

From a major Thrash metalhead, whats the best Death Metal band to start with?

Oct 28, 2009 11:40 AM ET #2 (permalink)

I would start with Death, specifically the ''Leprosy'' album, since there are elements of thrash present in that album as well as the predominant death theme. Just to warn you, though, listening to it may give you an orgasm.

Oct 28, 2009 1:25 PM ET #3 (permalink)

OBITUARY

Oct 28, 2009 1:50 PM ET #4 (permalink)

napalmdeath or obituary
they are the ac/dc from thrash metal

but to finish it lissen to the new album from asphyx
brings the anger in you out

Oct 28, 2009 3:04 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Obituary, Napalm Death, and Asphyx are all great bands, but they may not appeal to a hardcore thrash fan.

Oct 28, 2009 4:14 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Nah "Leprosy" is probably a bit raw for someone used to Metallica and Megadeth. I'd start with

Death - "Human"
At The Gates - "Slaugher of the Soul"
Morbid Angel - "Covenant"

Oct 28, 2009 4:41 PM ET #7 (permalink)

I think "Human" and "The Sound of Perseverance" are equally great, but Human probably would be a better starting point. It's where I started, and look at me...I'm kickass.

Bolt Thrower - "Those Once Loyal"

I was thinking about recommending "Realm of Chaos", but if you're a beginner the more refined sound and better production of TOL might be better.

Carcass - "Heartwork"

Elitists like to whine about it being too commercial and accesible. But c'mon, it's fucking death metal. How commercial can it be? This is the only album I like by them, and it's required listening.

Vader - "Impressions in Blood"

This one is very, uh...impressive, haha.

(This post was last edited on October 28, 2009 at 4:49 PM ET.)

Oct 28, 2009 5:44 PM ET #8 (permalink)

I need to check out some more Bolt Thrower. I've only heard a couple of songs from "Realm of Chaos" and "War Master". As for some Death Metal bands to start with? Hmm...I'd go with

Possessed - Seven Churches (If you haven't checked it out yet)
Malevolent Creation - The Ten Commandments
Autopsy - Severed Survival
Massacre - From Beyond

(This post was last edited on October 28, 2009 at 5:48 PM ET.)

Oct 28, 2009 6:14 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Natsquatch: lmao that's the great irony of metal. We complain about bands selling out for commercial success, yet how many mainstream metal bands have there actually been? Most "civilians" haven't even heard of Killswitch Engage.

Oct 28, 2009 6:21 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the help, MU community.

Definantly going to check a few of those bands out.

Oct 28, 2009 6:46 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Nat: I just came back to recommend Carcass - heartwork, but you stole my thunder. Oh well... When all is said and done theres no love LOST!

Oct 28, 2009 7:08 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Ahahaha. All i have to say to that is

\m/ \m/

Oct 28, 2009 7:21 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Maybe some Strapping Young Lad, Mudvayne, Protest The Hero, Soul Embraced, Lamb of God, or maybe even some Fear Factory. My brother, the possibilities are endless.

Oct 28, 2009 7:43 PM ET #14 (permalink)

there are too many bands that are now considered cross over thrash death bands.. it will depend on what kind of style you like. melodic, blackened, or the true undiluted stuff

Oct 28, 2009 9:44 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Listen to Skeletonwitch.

Not death metal, but they are a thrash band that uses death metal sounds, guitar wise and vocally from time to time. Nice start at least.

As for straight up death metal, I reccomend At the Gates as well. The album "Slaughter of the Soul" is a must.

I reccommend Behemoth to everyone, even random children on the streets and old women who cant walk well, but I dont know if that's a good place to start, but hey, worth a shot...

But yeah, ANYTHING by Death is an excellent place to start. Go with that for sure.

Oct 28, 2009 10:09 PM ET #16 (permalink)

The Gothenburg sound would probably be easiest to get into at first, being more melodic and all. Then from there move onto your more serious death. I was gonna say Vader, but some cuntspasm got in before me hahah :P

But honestly, any of the oldschool thrash/death bands are gonna be a good start. Sepultura, for example. Possessed, Morbid Angel, Atheist, Cryptopsy, Necrophagist, Cynic - now I'm just listing bands I like lol - Autopsy, Paradise Lost, Soilent Green, Nile, Alchemist, etc, etc, etc

Oct 29, 2009 10:56 AM ET #17 (permalink)

If I could be a dick and suggest you also try some Doom Metal! Start with Cathedral and look into it from there. That's what I did and I love me the Doom now. The Obsessed is another great one.

Oct 29, 2009 11:25 AM ET #18 (permalink)

Candlemass is a must as well when dabbling in Doom.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum