"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Acheron

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Acheron

Displaying 5 posts
Displaying 5 posts
Oct 23, 2009 8:10 PM ET #1 (permalink)

anyone know about this band? I'm seeing them in November when they come to my town

Oct 23, 2009 10:56 PM ET #2 (permalink)

They've been around awhile. Kinda like a poor man's Deicide.

Oct 23, 2009 11:11 PM ET #3 (permalink)

A poor man's pile of satanic feces? I'll be sure to stay clear of them, haha.

Oct 24, 2009 12:38 AM ET #4 (permalink)

Yeah, they've been around for ages. Blackened Death, the founder (Vincent Crowley... sound familiar?) is an -ACTUAL- satanist, he was ordained as a priest in LaVey's Church of Satan and everything. Lyrics are exclusively anti-Christian.

That's all I know about the band, but in Greek mythology, Acheron was the son of Helius who, after giving the Titans beverages during their battle with Zeus, was turned into one of the five rivers of Hades (the Underworld, named for it's Lord). Acheron, being the river of Pain, is that particular river I'm sure you've all heard of that dead souls pay two obols to Charon the Porter to get ferried across. Hence the tradition of placing a coin on each eye of the dearly departed, lest they cannot pay the fare and are trapped without peaceful rest for Eternity. In Dante's 'Inferno,' Acheron is the river that borders Hell.

Edit: Acheron is also an -ACTUAL- river in -ACTUAL- Greece, but who really cares about that?

(This post was last edited on October 24, 2009 at 12:40 AM ET.)

Oct 24, 2009 11:45 AM ET #5 (permalink)

I wouldn't say they're a "poor man's Deicide." Similar, though. Acheron are just more obscure.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum