"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Top 5 favorite bands!

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Top 5 favorite bands!

Displaying 23 posts
Displaying 23 posts
Oct 23, 2009 9:45 AM ET #1 (permalink)

Children of Bodom
Iron Maiden
Trivium
The Black Dahlia Murder
Lamb of God

Oct 28, 2009 11:02 AM ET #2 (permalink)

A topic like this should be jumping here

1.) Megadeth
2.) Slayer
3.) SOAD
4.) Venom
5.) Pantera

Oct 28, 2009 6:18 PM ET #3 (permalink)

it would be jumping if somebody hadn't posted a top 3 favorite bands thread a week before this one. Check that one out.

Oct 29, 2009 11:00 AM ET #4 (permalink)

STT, I like your style!

Nov 5, 2009 8:55 PM ET #5 (permalink)

1. DevilDriver
2. Amon Amarth
3. Revocation
4. Venom
5. Vader

In no particular order

Nov 6, 2009 2:50 AM ET #6 (permalink)

Mother of God...another one of these "Top Bands" lists?

Like I've said hundreds of times before...

1. Slayer (80's Material)
2. Exodus (Baloff and Zetro)
3. Overkill
4. Razor
5. Sodom/Destruction/Kreator (Couldn't just choose one)

And in case you're wondering, I love 80's Thrash Metal and I don't really care if I'm still living in "the past (in terms of music)."

(This post was last edited on November 6, 2009 at 2:54 AM ET.)

Nov 6, 2009 11:40 AM ET #7 (permalink)

Hey Shredder since you like all the 80's thrash bands, can you reccomend me some of 'em? Cuz I'm having some trouble finding good new & old thrash bands.

Nov 6, 2009 2:13 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Check out Hirax and Xentrix HH. Great stuff. Might take a bit of getting used to the vocals from Hirax though.

Mortal Sin, Assassin, Flotsam And Jetsam and Onslaught are great bands to check out too. In particular from Onslaught, "The Force". That's one of my favourite 80s thrash metal albums right there.

Gotta side with Shredder when it comes to thrash. 80s is where it's at. I'm not really into the new wave of thrash bands like Merciless Death and Bonded By Blood. I find the music to be lacking and it's nearly a parody of thrash in my view.

Nov 6, 2009 3:37 PM ET #9 (permalink)

HH - Check out the thread in page 2 titled "if i wanted to learn metal." Cynic and I left an incredibly long list of classic thrash bands + albums.

Oz - Agreed. Most of the new "retro-thrash" acts aren't the most original bands out there, but that's not what's it's all about. They are giving a new generation of kids the opportunity to re-live the mighty thrash years of the 80's. A lot of people think that's pretty foolish while others are simply fed up with modern metal and want to stick to the old school stuff. I've seen plenty of these retro-thrash bands live and even spoke to some of them about their music. The majority of them said that they play in that 80's style because they believe that the term "Thrash Metal" is being thrown around inappropriately these days. I wouldn't go as far as calling them a parody though, although a couple of them ACTUALLY think they're living in the 80's. I personally don't mind their existence at all considering the fact that I enjoy some of their music.

Hope all of those pronouns didn't confuse you.

(This post was last edited on November 6, 2009 at 9:45 PM ET.)

Nov 7, 2009 4:16 PM ET #10 (permalink)

1. megadeth
2. skeletonwitch
3. savage messiah
4. Waylander
5. Sepultura

Nov 7, 2009 9:25 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Metallica
Trivium
CoB
Shadows Fall
WhiteChapel

Nov 8, 2009 5:47 PM ET #12 (permalink)

I find alot of the new thrash bands to be a parody of thrash because whenever I see one of them live or check out their album, it has little to no creative thought from a lyrical view. There's one or two obligatory (sp?) songs about how much they love thrash which usually has a stupid title like Thrash Forever or something along those lines. Then there's the songs about beer, in some cases songs about weed. There's a few standard songs about comic books or 80s movies and finally there's the social/political message songs. I know these were all themes that even the earliest of thrash bands used, but they're used in a completely bland way I think. It makes the bands look like idiots in some cases too. As a friend of mine earlier said, it's thrash by numbers.

Nov 9, 2009 5:05 PM ET #13 (permalink)

MAINSTREAM METAL:
1)DEATH
2)SEPULTURA
3)BLIND GUARDIAN
4)RUNNING WILD
5)SODOM

Nov 9, 2009 5:09 PM ET #14 (permalink)

UNDERGROUND METAL:
1)MEDIEVAL STEEL
2)SPIDER KICKERS
3)BATTLE DAGORATH
4)THE IVORY TOWER
5)DEFIANCE

Nov 9, 2009 8:44 PM ET #15 (permalink)

In terms of Warbringer and Skeletonwitch, and I guess Revocation, though I'm not as familiar with their work as the other two, The new wave of thrash has justified itself. I agree with you Oz on the whole silly/parodying element of most new thrash bands,and I think that's why I havent been able to get into it either. However, the three bands I mentioned are definitely worth checking out. (although Skeletonwitch isnt strictly thrash) :P

Behemoth
Pig Destroyer
Brain Drill
Pantera
Led Zeppelin

Nov 10, 2009 7:43 PM ET #16 (permalink)

gorgoroth (ritual and antichrist album)
cannibal corpse (the bleeding and eaten back to life)
mayhem (de mysers sathanas)
dio (holy diver)
metallica (kill em all)

Nov 10, 2009 11:08 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Personally, I think "The Bleeding" was the worst thing that CC ever put out. Absolutely horrible. Love most of their other stuff though, especially since Corpsegrinder took over on vocals.

Nov 12, 2009 11:40 AM ET #18 (permalink)

Thanks a whole lot Shredder!

Nov 12, 2009 9:32 PM ET #19 (permalink)

FVCKIN' A MAN! I keep on trying to download the bands you suggested Oz, Shredder, & Cynic, but I can't cuz there like so underground. Damn! It's all great stuff though.

Nov 12, 2009 9:32 PM ET #20 (permalink)

FVCKIN' A MAN! I keep on trying to download the bands you suggested Oz, Shredder, & Cynic, but I can't cuz there like so underground. Damn! It's all great stuff though.

Nov 12, 2009 9:33 PM ET #21 (permalink)

Sorry about the double post, I guess I was double angry, lol.

Nov 12, 2009 11:07 PM ET #22 (permalink)

Oz writes: "There's one or two obligatory (sp?) songs about how much they love thrash which usually has a stupid title like Thrash Forever or something along those lines."

Yeah, I find that topic to be really cheesy as well.

Hebrew - Good Luck!

Nov 15, 2009 10:47 AM ET #23 (permalink)

That's a shame man. Keep digging around, I'm sure you'll find them eventually! Failing that you can probably get some of their albums cheap on Amazon or whatever.

Now playing: Kid Frost - La Familia

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum