"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Dubstep? wtf

Posted in: Forum Home >> Non-Metal Music Discussion >> Dubstep? wtf

Displaying 19 posts
Displaying 19 posts
Dec 21, 2011 7:55 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I have been noticing the fast growing trend of "dubstep" lately, and the thought that people consider this true talent and a revolutionary movement for music makes me kinda angry. I just wanted to know what the thoughts were of the metal fans of this was. Apparently dubstep is becoming quite the hit with the metalcore and deathcore "scene" kids because of course when their trend starts to die, they have to start following a new one. So what are your thoughts?

Dec 21, 2011 8:22 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Metal is sort of split. Quite a open minded few people are ok with it like they are with say good rap music, or folk music - i.e. there are good dubstep bands and it's a legit electronic genre. The other half think it's garbage, but they're the half that think pretty much all non-hard rock/metal music is garbage.

The uniting factor is both hate the small population of cold emo leftovers that produce the trendy youtube deathcore/metalcore/djent whater mashups for the mongoloid "bro" population under the misguided delusion of originality. They should be exterminated from the planet.

Dec 21, 2011 10:17 PM ET #3 (permalink)

R10

Dub step? Oh,none for thank you.

Dec 21, 2011 10:29 PM ET #4 (permalink)

In February I moved into a home with a dubstep roomy and as a genre it has grown on me. I wouldn't call myself a fan of the genre but I do recognize it as a legitimate form of electronic music, Idk how popular of an idea this is but I personally recognize electronic dance as a form of art in its own way.

Gotta add I do love me some Bassnectar every now and then.

(This post was last edited on December 21, 2011 at 10:29 PM ET.)

Dec 28, 2011 5:11 PM ET #5 (permalink)

As much as I didn't mind nu-metal and metalcore (and liked quite a bit of each), I am not liking the dubstep infusion into metal at all. Perhaps it's because a lot of it is coming by the already trendy metalcore and deathcore bands, as KillAudio413 mentions. There have been some interesting electronic mixes in the past (Spawn soundtrack comes to mind), but the idea of "dubstep beats/scream/whiny chorus/breakdown" does not interest me in the least.

Dec 28, 2011 9:10 PM ET #6 (permalink)

I'm a big dub fan. So go fist yourself. And hate it.

Dec 29, 2011 11:50 AM ET #7 (permalink)

Honestly, I have a hard time getting into any electronic music. Techno, Dubstep, Electronica, whatever. I've always preferred live musicians to drum machines or any other type of audio media not directly related to an instrument. Other than the occasional Ministry album, I'm not even really a fan of Industrial. It's just never resonated with me. I don't like rap, either. While I do listen to some old school rap, on the average I hate it with a passion. As for Dubstep/Metal, I avoid it. I'll listen if a friend puts it on, but so far have found nothing that makes me want to pursue any of it. I've never been into Deathcore anyway, so if those bands go the way of the Dodo I wouldn't even notice.

But to say it's not a valid form of music is ignorant. My distaste for a type of music has nothing to do with it being classified as music. I may not like the Grateful Dead but you can't deny they have a fanbase ;)

Dec 30, 2011 10:57 AM ET #8 (permalink)

I might be more open to it if I hear some good stuff. But like djent, the little bit I've been exposed to has not felt very legitimate (too trendy) - or in Cynic's terms, there seems to have little integrity behind the music. I like industrial, Rob Zombie's remixes, the Spawn soundtrack mixes, so someone recommend me some good dubstep metal fusion that is not based on deathcore or by Korn and I'll check it out. Thanks.

PS - I just went back and read Cynic's post and laughed: "They should be exterminated from the planet."

Dec 30, 2011 5:24 PM ET #9 (permalink)

^If your referring to straight up Dub and not just the metal hybrid, I don't know if you heard/opinions on Bassnectar? Something I enjoy anyway.

Oh and Pretty Lights is decent electronic music imo.

(This post was last edited on December 30, 2011 at 5:25 PM ET.)

Dec 30, 2011 6:49 PM ET #10 (permalink)

ZMA

Dubstep is alright. You can only listen to so much of it before it all starts to melt together. Guys like Bassnector and Skrillex are decent and I'll probably keep seeing where their wobs go. But other then that I really don't listen to it that much.
Dubstep or techno can work well with metal if you do it right. Don't pull a Korn and do a dubstep album or anything, but maybe pop a wob or two into a song. Metal bands put synth work into their music all the time and it works out well, so dubstep just needs to find it's spot in a good song. I think The Browning do a good job with their techno metal.

Jan 2, 2012 9:01 PM ET #11 (permalink)

What's some good hybrid? I don't want straight dubstep.

Feb 3, 2012 11:19 AM ET #12 (permalink)

The browning is cool, its more electro than dubstep id say

(This post was last edited on February 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM ET.)

Mar 1, 2012 2:32 AM ET #13 (permalink)

Can't get into dubstep. A lot of people at my school like it though. I liked the Korn Skrillex collab though.

Mar 5, 2012 2:17 PM ET #14 (permalink)

db- did you check out the browning?

Mar 5, 2012 9:36 PM ET #15 (permalink)

It'd been a while, so I gave it another listen this afternoon. Is that really dubstep? Sounds like Chimaira on an electronica kick to me. Not what I've heard called dubstep really. It was ok, but didn't really grab me.

Mar 6, 2012 10:40 AM ET #16 (permalink)

naa people seem to classify it as dupstep, but its sorta a mix of electro/dub/metal id say. Theyre ok, it gets boring to listen to after a while though. \m/

Mar 6, 2012 5:18 PM ET #17 (permalink)

I think it was the album I was listening to. I pulled up an EP and it sounded more dubstep. I liked the first one that was more electro metal better tho.

Mar 8, 2012 3:25 PM ET #18 (permalink)

i hear ya.

Oct 8, 2012 8:52 AM ET #19 (permalink)

i hate electronic music BUT i do however like the professional drum covers of dubstep... its nice to hear real instruments being played... if you are against dubstep at least u may be able to appreciate this guy... search on youtube Luke Holland and search him covering Skrillex - Cinema... hes a youtube drummer that is currently in the metal band "the word alive"

Reply to Discussion or Return to Non-Metal Music Discussion forum