"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Top 5 Best Metal Vocalist

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> Top 5 Best Metal Vocalist

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 34 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 34 1 2 Last
Dec 12, 2011 11:34 AM ET #1 (permalink)

Your 5 favorite vocalist in all of metla!! GO!

Dec 12, 2011 11:39 AM ET #2 (permalink)

R10

Halford/ Priest
E.Adams/Manowar
B. Dickinson/Maiden
C.Billy/Testament
King Diamond

Dec 12, 2011 5:22 PM ET #3 (permalink)

5 just isn't enough!

Mike Scalzi (Slough Feg)
Eric Wagner (Trouble)
Lord Worm (Cryptopsy)
Deathmaster (Doomsword)
Peter Steele (Type O)

Tony Moore, Edgy 59, Martin Van Drunen, Ihsahn... jeez I could go on for days - but agreed with R10, Eric Adams and Manowar all the way!

EDIT: See shit, I didn't even mention ICS Vortex or Devin Townsend. Top 20? :P

(This post was last edited on December 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM ET.)

Dec 12, 2011 8:48 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Attila Cishar on Sunn O)))'s Monoliths and Dimensions is note worthy.
Jeff Walker from Carcass also comes to mind.
I know these two bands are on the "Debated list of metal bands" but Maynard James Keenan and Robert Plant are just two phenomenal vocalists.
Robert Lowe of Solitude Aeturnus.
Messiah Marcolin of Candlemass.
Ihsahn of Emperor
Tomas Lindberg of At The Gates has a great melodeath shriek/scream whatever adjective you want to put on his voice.

Agreed with Cynic limiting it down to 5 just isn't even fair.

Dec 12, 2011 8:55 PM ET #5 (permalink)

See damnit now you've mentioned Lindberg I have to squeeze him in there too :P

Dec 12, 2011 10:41 PM ET #6 (permalink)

How has nobody mentioned Fred Durst yet? :P

Dec 13, 2011 6:27 AM ET #7 (permalink)

Because it's already a given that he's the greatest metal vocalist of all time.

Dec 13, 2011 9:00 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Some of my favorites....... I'm gonna go for top 10 instead

Rob Halford the Metal God
King Diamond
Bruce Dickinson
Lemmy
Phil Anselmo
Miland 'Mille' Petrozza
Chuck Billy
George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher
Chuck Schuldiner
Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth

(This post was last edited on December 13, 2011 at 9:01 PM ET.)

Dec 14, 2011 4:05 PM ET #9 (permalink)

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Oz' comment was the funniest thing Ive ever read. The truth is always funny.

With the state of metal these days, you kind of have to seperate metal vocalists between "Clean vocals", and what Korndogg would call "Garbage, howcanyoucallthismusic, shiiiiiiiite" or what we typically know as "Dirty vocals"

In no particular order of course...

Clean vocals
1.Rob Halford(Judas Priest) duh duh duh duh. So many bands vocalists depend on this guy's example that I could die of old age naming them all.
2. Devin Townsend(Strapping Young Lad) in his original band, he much more often used a dirtier vocal style, with only hints of clean stuff interwoven among that work, but after going solo, (besides his far earlier collaboration with Steve Vai) he put his clean vocals right to the forefront of his musical tools, and in his later work, that choice shows, both in his improved songwriting choices, and his live performance.
3.Serj Tankian(System of a Down) I know his voice tends to annoy some people, but between his solo stuff and a renewed intterest recently with his System work, I've become convinced that this guy is the shit. Not to mention that I dont hear any other vocalists who sound like him at all.
4.RONNIE JAMES DIO( Dio, Black Sabbath) SHUT THE FUCK UP IF YOU WANNA ARGUE, IT'S DIO YOU FAGGOT.
5.Tom Araya(Slayer) borderline being dirty vocals, i know, but besides his lightning fast delivery, and his evil versions of halford screams, i would consider his vocals clean, and very few people actually notice his vocal versatility across Slayer's discography.

ANGRY VOCALS REAAARGHHH *cough* eyaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! *cough*
1.Trevor Strnad(Black Dahlia Murder) yes, thats how his last name is spelled, dont ask me, I dont fucking know who taught his family to spell. While initially this band suffered from being another At The Gates deathcore clone, they were always significant due to their vocalist's dual-pronged attack, utilizing both a guttural growl and an unusual high shriek. As the band has shed their generic trappings and become a truly tremendous blackened melodeath outfit in their own right, so has their vocalsit becom eall the more impressive. His outstanding live presence aside, his capabilities with both vocals styles have deepened and expanded tenfold, and it would be a crime to ignore this band and their vocalist with their vast improvements all around.
2. Chance Garnette(Skeletonwitch) Another dual style vocalist, this guy has great sing-a-long vocal placements not seen since Metallica's glory days, all the more impressive considering he sings in both guttural death metal vocals and the harsh black metal style that is generally extrememly hard for even normal metal listeners to appreciate.
3. Mikael Akerfeldt( Opeth, Bloodbath) Even with the recent Opeth release of the all-clean Heritage, I completely consider Akerfeldt foremost to be a guttural vocalist, if only for the fact that he uses them in both bands he sings for. Heavy, pronounced, and constantly compositionally aware in his placement of those vocals, his likewise excellent clean vocals are really just iceing on the cake.
4. Randy Blythe (Lamb of God) Proof that guttural vocals can require just as much effort as the best clean vocals, Blythe went form the band's first album where he sounded like an indecipherable pterodactyl, to his overnight transformation into a terifyingly heavy version of Phil Anselmo, with almost as much vocal skill as the Pantera frontman had in his best moments even in this lower register. Leaving almost every word in the band's lyrics decipherable in performance despite the near death metal sound of his voice, Blythe's screaming is immediate proof that guttural vocals arent all just talentless yellings of nonsense, much to the chagrin of death metal critics in general.
5. Stu Block- (Into eternity, new Iced Earth) Basically the death metal Rob Halford. Listen to the song "Timeless Winter" by his original band Into Eternity, and prepare to cry yourself to sleep because you will never do anything to any level of talent to match this guys vocal skill. Just kill yourself now to save time.

Dec 17, 2011 12:55 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Not 1 mention of Mike Patton? Fucking criminal.

Dec 17, 2011 10:05 PM ET #11 (permalink)

^Patton is a great all-around singer, but he does so many different genres/styles it's hard to consider him a 'metal' singer. Well, for me it is anyway hahah.

Not sure I'd put him in the Top 5 overall, but Max Cavalera is superb in his element. The rawness of his vocals fit that whole brazilian death/thrash vibe fucking perfectly.

Dec 19, 2011 10:25 AM ET #12 (permalink)

This is a rough one to nail down but I'll try. Remember it's "favorite" not "technically competent". Some of these names are from more recent bands, but these voices really stand out for me. -

Rob Halford (Duh)

Bruce Dickinson (Again, duh)

Pepper Keenan (Bluesy, beer and cigarette metal with a N'Awlins accent. Some might not call it metal, but this is my list)

Mikael Akerfeldt (Clean or gutteral, just all-around great)

Matt Pike (His clean vocals are rougher than most of us could manage. The guy eats, drinks and sweats metal. He's the real deal, so he gets to be on this list. I F'ing love High on Fire)

I want to shoehorn Eric Adams in there as well, I could go on and on. And kudos to Cynic for listing Deathmaster, Doomsword rules ;)

(This post was last edited on December 19, 2011 at 10:26 AM ET.)

Dec 21, 2011 10:32 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Where does John Garcia rank in this mix?

Dec 21, 2011 10:36 PM ET #14 (permalink)

R10

Garcia's awesome,but is he a metal vocalist?

Dec 21, 2011 10:41 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Depends, is Kyuss metal? I go to different places that label Kyuss as stoner/doom. I personally put Kyuss on that border where their too metal to be hard rock but not metal enough to be actual metal, but find it fitting to still cover them within the boundaries in metal quite comfortably.

Dec 21, 2011 10:49 PM ET #16 (permalink)

^I hold any doom or stoner stuff under the overall metal umbrella, so yeah I would totally call Kyuss metal, among others of their ilk. Too many people are hesitant to call stuff metal these days that doesnt have double bass or screaming, but honestly, Black Sabbath were the first metal band, and they're damn well within the doom/stoner genre in my opinion.

Edit: Also, Netro mentioned Matt Pike, and I recently realized he is one of the most metal fucking dudes on the planet right now. Right up there with Dimebag and Lemmy(Motorhead) in my opinion.

(This post was last edited on December 21, 2011 at 10:55 PM ET.)

Dec 21, 2011 10:51 PM ET #17 (permalink)

^Case and point also, Led Zeppelin is another iffy borderline one as well.

Dec 21, 2011 11:04 PM ET #18 (permalink)

^true, but your on your own with them buddy Ive been wondering whether to put them under the metal tag for years lmao

Dec 21, 2011 11:23 PM ET #19 (permalink)

Funny how the borders are so thin that we can't really see them with a naked eye. We have to grab a microscope and dissect the entire process to see where they begin and where they end with certain bands and even then its still kinda fuzzy. So what is the definition of metal I beg the question? You know it when you feel it but there are other bands with certain similarities in technique that some often dismiss from the metal categories. I for one uphold the that metal is about attitude above all else. The most important one, even higher then the darkness over light which is prevalent over most metal (Trouble doesn't quite fit this theme even though no one denies they are metal) or the aggressive tones (I've heard Stained classified as "sad metal") is the "do what thou whilst" attitude with at least a hard rock vibe is my very broad definition of metal. Led Zeppelin fits into that category.

Freedom of expression is the bottom line...

(This post was last edited on December 21, 2011 at 11:24 PM ET.)

Dec 22, 2011 9:56 AM ET #20 (permalink)

Roo

no Ozzy?

Dec 22, 2011 4:45 PM ET #21 (permalink)

ZMA

Roo, of course no Ozzy lol.

I'm gonna take FAN's approach and select my favorite clean singing vocalists and my favorite death vocals, vocalists.

First the cleans.

1. Rob Halford (of course. Is it even an option to put someone other then Rob in the #1 spot? I don't think so)
2. Ronnie James Dio
3. Serj Tankian (System used to be my favorite band. I forgot how interesting Serj's cleans are.)
4. Russell Allen from Symphony X. He doesn't have a shitload of range but for the band he's in he rips.
5. Stu Block from Iced Earth and Into Eternity. The man has a voice of angels. Spoiler alert: he'll be in my death vocals list lol.

Ok now for the death vocals. This is tough because there are a lot of great vocalists out there right now. Lemme see if I can name my favorites.

1. Christian Alvestam ex Scar Symmetry, Solution .45.
2. Travis Richter of The Human Abstract. His vocals can cut steel.
3. Matt Tobin of Dead And Divine. His vocals are deep and cut right through the mix, and I can understand everything. Very underrated I think since this band isn't that big. They have so many energy though. Love 'em.
4. Hernan "Eddie" Hermida of All Shall Perish. The guy has amazing range with his growls and I'm highly impressed.
5. Howard Jones of Killswitch Engage. Dude has a nice range with his death growls, and he can sing great clean. In fact he'd probably be number 6 in the list of cleans too.

I said Stu would be on the death list, but apparently I lied to myself. But that man has some of the must brutal vocals in the game right now, and he can do all of it live as well which is fantastic. Like FAN said Timeless Winter by Into Eternity. Listen to it.

Tim Lambesis would be 6 in the death growls too. He's got brutal set of pipes. Oh my god and I can't forget about Peter TÃĪgtgren of Hypocrisy. He was on my favorite death metal album. Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh. Such a good album from a lineup we'll never see again.

Honestly there are too many good singers to only have a top 5. It'd have to be like top 10 or something lol.

Jan 3, 2012 11:36 AM ET #22 (permalink)

Roo

@ZMA, what do u mean?

Jan 3, 2012 1:31 PM ET #23 (permalink)

ZMA

Roo, Ozzy Osbourne is one of the worst vocalists in metal. BUT!, that doesn't mean I don't love Ozzy. His vocal style is instantly recognizable no matter where you hear him. He's very fortunate that he helped start one of the must influential bands in metal and then went one to have one of the biggest solo careers in it.
You can't not love Ozzy, he's the man. But I said of course no Ozzy because I don't think he should be in the top 5 best metal vox. If it was top 10 then yea I'd consider it. But there are way better singers/musicians then him.
NP: Ozzy Osbourne - Diggin' Me Down

Jan 4, 2012 4:52 PM ET #24 (permalink)

Come on guys, no Daniel Heiman from Lost Horizon??? Look up the legendary song Highlander (The One)
this guy is legit the best vocalist EVER just look up on youtube 'belt out a facemelter' and thats him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu0D1TFWB2U here ya go if you cant be bothered

also for harsh vocals Chalky from the first two albums of Psycroptic. This guy could do anything, highs, lows, squeals, that raptor sounding stuff, core sounding shouts

(This post was last edited on January 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM ET.)

Jan 6, 2012 6:21 AM ET #25 (permalink)

Roo

@ZMA I see your point :)

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum