"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

What America's War on Terror Does to Iraqi Children

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> What America's War on Terror Does to Iraqi Children

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 45 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 45 1 2 Last
Oct 16, 2009 6:39 PM ET #1 (permalink)

This is what it does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYnDw1ReVhw

Beware, if you get upset easily, you will be crying for a long time about this. I cried for a few minutes watching it. It's horribly upsetting. I doubt that the mothers in Iraq will ever forgive America for this travesty.

Thoughts? Opinions? Share them here.

Edit: another video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diNO0in4m_M

(This post was last edited on October 16, 2009 at 7:12 PM ET.)

Oct 16, 2009 7:50 PM ET #2 (permalink)

i dont have to see a video to know what war does. it really sucks. i wish we could get out of there. believe me citizens here want their families back home too. do you think any good is going to come of this? i really been wanting to ask you your opinion on this. i have not talked to anyone from that country.

(This post was last edited on October 16, 2009 at 7:57 PM ET.)

Oct 16, 2009 8:48 PM ET #3 (permalink)

I believe that this war on terror is nothing but a mirage to get to the real prize, which is an oil field near Iraq that is worth over a trillion dollars. I believe it is in Kuwait, or to the south of it. It makes sense since George Bush and I believe his advisor also were big investors in the oil business.

More-so, the idea that the American government even thought that it could help Iraq is astonishingly laughable. Iraq has been at war with itself for thousands of years, so for some country to go in and think that they could help, especially in such a violence manner and with false pretenses, makes me think that the world has gone mad. This all happened because of typical human ignorance which was encouraged by the media that associated the 9/11 attacks somehow with Iraq, even though the terrorists had no ties to Iraq whatsoever.

The women's rights issue (which was a later addition to the so-called cause) is a funny one. I know they wanted to establish women's rights furthermore in the country, but people seem to think that women all over the country were all left to be nothing more than obedient housewives. That isn't true, because my mom graduated from the University of Mosul in the 80's and became a beloved public servant in teaching mathematics to the people. Even now, plenty of her former students that come to Hamilton talk about how much they loved her as a teacher. It's the same as the case with India: some parts were regressive, whereas other parts were progressive.

Nothing good will come out of what America's cause has done. In fact, attacks between Shia and Sunni groups have increased significantly.

What I believe America should do is to focus on educating and then finding meaningful employment for the women in the more oppressed parts. Statistics have shown that when women earn wages, 90% goes to the betterment of their families, where with men, it's only about 30-40%. There's a site where you can learn more about this stuff http://www.girleffect.org/

If you want to look up the stats, Google "Statistics Canada".

Oct 16, 2009 11:49 PM ET #4 (permalink)

I saw the video, and while I do feel for the women and children, I fail to see where the involvement of the U.S. comes into play. It is well documented that Hussein used various weapons and torture devices on his own people. Do you really think the state run media in Iraq was going to point stuff like that out? The Liberal media does not report the schools, hospitals, womens centers, etc. that is going up all around Iraq. I know what's going up in that area from the troops on the ground that are training police offices, educating people on neighborhood watch practices and patrolling the streets so people can make a living. As far as your precious little statistics go Inferno, 100% of my income goes to the betterment of my family.

Oct 17, 2009 1:53 AM ET #5 (permalink)

Words in the title of this thread that are unnecessary:

"America's"
"on"
"Terror"
"Iraqi"

Oct 17, 2009 3:27 AM ET #6 (permalink)

^I will quote your avatar to that.

Oct 17, 2009 3:58 AM ET #7 (permalink)

1) the media never associated Iraq with the 9/11 attacks.
2) neither did Bush. The only association he gave Iraq to 9/11 was the idea that they had WMDs and could use them against us.
3) there is a trillion dollar oil field in Kuwait. It's right next to D.B. Cooper's treasure and Jimmy Hoffa.
4) girleffect.org? Really?
5) Google the Omega File. Read it. The shit it contains is far more believable than any of girleffect's statistics. It's a little ironic that you'll write a few hundred words questioning the government, yet you seem to actually believe that women contribute so much more of their wages than men to their families.
6) What's the difference between not helping Iraq and not researching AIDS? Both are incurable, so why try? If we applied your logic, we'd just say fuck it and let Magic Johnson rot.
7) I was in Iraq for their elections in 05. Good has already come.

Oct 17, 2009 9:10 AM ET #8 (permalink)

We're wasting our breath Iggy. We're talking to a blame-America-first Liberal who lives and dies by statistics. Hey Inferno, I got another stat for you. 100% percent of me thinks that 80% of people who read this are going to give less than 30% of a shit about this thread and it's impact.

Iggy, thanks for your service brother.

Oct 17, 2009 1:10 PM ET #9 (permalink)

No matter what war you're speaking of, any war has these kind of effects on people; it's not just this war. Iraq's civil wars have had these kinds of effects on the Iraqi people long before the U.S. got involved. It's been going on for thousands of years and we just stuck our nose in it.

My wife's uncle served 3 tours in Iraq (and I owe a lot to him and other soldiers in Iraq) and he says that yes, things are bad over there, but what you don't see on the news are those people who have gotten their lives back, better than ever, because of the aid that U.S. and allied soldiers have given them.

Although I'm against the war in the first place, I DO support the troops and I DO owe them a great deal of gratitude for what they're trying to do over there, and that is simply trying to make things better for the Iraqi people.

And I'm so sick of people thinking that the war is all about oil.

Oct 17, 2009 1:46 PM ET #10 (permalink)

i too get tired of the oil issue. as you said IN, "I believe it is in Kuwait, or to the south of it" so that makes the oil theory bulloks. we liberated Kuwait from the war monger Sadam in 1990. if it was about the oil we could have staked a claim on it then. Iraq is not a country that is for helping people so i can understand the citizens having a hard time accepting the fact that other people will selfishlesly lay their lives down for strangers- \m/ \m/ U.S. troops!! If it was about oil we would not be wasting time trying to teach these people how to better their lives and better their society. Sadam was a monster and you need to get your head out of these books and web sites that are biased toward proving the point "you" want it to make. if your opinion was any different you will find just as much propoganda supporting that view too! life cannot be learned this way. you alse must accept there are exceptions to every rule "regarding your mom being a succesful woman in a male/womanizing country" good for you mom!! me personaly i dont really believe the citizens even want to move forward and have a productive society that is not based on some monster barely allowing them to have a life of their own. i think they just dont understand what that is and that it is possible. their hearts have been dragged in the sand and stepped on by their dictator for so long. this is the life they know. our troops mean well, no matter what the political objective is the troops are over there dying because they are trying to make a diffferance for them and rather yo uagree with the war or not you should respect that peopel are sacrificing their lives and leaving their kids fatherless and wives without husbands to help your people. i do not really agree with this war for selfish reasons (i would rather keep our soldiers families intact because iraq has been at war wwith itself forever and we should not be wasting Americans on fixing something that cannot be fixed).

Oct 17, 2009 3:38 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Wow, okay this has gone out of control. I would apologize for some statements made because I could see where I went slightly wrong, but AP, the direction you went with this was pretty immature. I'm sorry for having made this thread in the way that I presented it, but man you need to calm down. I'm butting out of this one, and seeing how you've been acting about it, you'll probably think it was some win for the Conservatives against the Liberals.

Oct 17, 2009 4:10 PM ET #12 (permalink)

No win here at all, and the only loss is the dead. You came out shitting on my country. What was I supposed to do? Sit back and take like the rest of the world wants us to do? I think not. If defending my country against vile statements like the ones that are made, make seen immature, well then color me childish. I take great offense to people who do not even live in my country, dragging our good name through the mud.

Oct 17, 2009 4:26 PM ET #13 (permalink)

That's not my issue at all. My issue is that you're bringing in an unrelated topic, Liberalism, and turning that into an insult when you combined with "we're wasting our breathe" when I didn't make any responses back to you yet. I apologize for the way I presented the thread, but you, sir, are clearly trying to take this in an unrelated direction.

Oct 17, 2009 7:08 PM ET #14 (permalink)

"wasting our breath" was used as a euphamism, because I knew you were going to have a rebuttal. I threw in Liberal, because blaming America first is a quality many Liberals possess. I know you said you were part of the "green" party, but many of your arguments on these forums smacks of Liberalism.

Oct 17, 2009 7:30 PM ET #15 (permalink)

if we pulled out of there what do you think would happen? roses would bloom, rainbowas fill the sky and the rivers would flow milk and honey? hell no! other power hungry war mongers would swoop in and take control of that country and opress the people even more so than your last monster that you have no gratitude from being free from. if this is how other people from your country feel about us then we really have to stop sacrificing good U.S. soldiers. Viet Nam was not a success and i do not think this will be either but i still hope and pray. and maybe some day your people will be blessed with freedom and the ability to make choices based on your opinions and not out of fefar. i am sure you can see how much more wonderful Canada is than Iraq, dont you want that for your people?

Oct 17, 2009 8:41 PM ET #16 (permalink)

well have to say i disagree total about war we need to spent our money and people on good things
but its to late to pull out of iraq or afganistan if we do it turns in total chaos and the other side will misuse their power on their own poeple what sadam allready did for many years using gas and other nasty weapons
so it dont matter what will happen the usa and othercountries will be in for the long run
and hopefully it will turn out for the best

like i spent some time in lebanon withthe dutch army and in yougaslavia and the world pulled out of thes countrys left the people on their own and look what it did bring more killing and boming

Oct 17, 2009 11:33 PM ET #17 (permalink)

So apparently we didn't learn our lesson after the Kali incident...

Here, let me lay it out for you: When it comes to politics, take offense AT YOUR OWN RISK. Because, frankly, the rest of us (ie, me.) are sick to death of all this bullshit crybaby insulting that seems to always develop from these threads. If you absolutely MUST have an opinion, here are your options; 1) state it in a polite, reserved manner, and then shut the fuck up, or 2) shut the fuck up. K? K.

So here's my opinion: Everybody loses in a war, other than businesses. Thus every war is a product of economy, other than the wars which are started due to a difference in ideals - eg, the Crusades. So either way, whatever the reason, be it a holy war or an effort to destabilise a corrupt head of government (by the way, why havn't we done something about the situation in Zimbabwe?), or a flat-out attempt to increase the economic well-being of a nation (are our lives really worth so little?), the profit (other than the monetary profit of invested businesses) almost never exceeds the cost of war.

I support no wars. I do support certain peace-keeping missions, however- toppling Sadam wasn't really a peace-keeping mission, but it WAS a good move. He was hurting people. We who can afford to help thus have a responsibility to do so. Fighting the Taliban is not a good move. They are hurting people, but we cannot effectively fight them ourselves. Every time a civilian dies, we get blamed, and the Taliban get new recruits. The best way for us to fight them would be to heavily invest in the education of the civilian population, and to establish a democratic government and a strong national military presence with foreign aid to combat insurgents. We gotta make it the PEOPLE'S fight against the Taliban, with our help, rather than our fight against them, with the people caught in the crossfire. I believe, though I may be mistaken, that these are steps we are currently undertaking - however, much work needs yet be done.

I don't read the news, and don't care much at all for politics, so my opinions are probably all complete bollocks. Such as they are, however, there you have it. Refute me if you like, I refuse to return to this thread. Thank you, and good night.

Oct 18, 2009 12:46 AM ET #18 (permalink)

"Blaming America" - there are things I do blame America for, but I do not "blame America first." I reject terms such as liberalism and conservatism to identify my political orientation because both of them try to place an image that people feel I must maintain. I suppose my ideas are, for a good deal, liberal, but I think identifying myself wholly as such is far too collectivist for my taste. Collectivism is a huge reason for why I reject certain ideas such as but not just religion as well, but that's a whole 'nother discussion. To be fair, though I reject liberalism and conservatism as my political identifiers, I've always favoured liberalism by just a tad more.

Yes, I'm part of the Green Party and am working my way to becoming an official member (as in doing some work for them). I've already volunteered for them throughout the years quite a lot.

Agent: actually, most Iraqis do want America out. There's an article about it here http://therealnews.com/t/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=3971 There's others I can link to as well.

I think "my people" (and I mean that in the loosest way) should get their country back on their own, much like how the Iranians are doing so, because it is their responsibility and no one else's.

Oct 18, 2009 9:31 AM ET #19 (permalink)

You are correct Inferno. Iraq does wish to be a more Democratic society, but after being ruled by a heartless dictator for 30 years, they are trying to find their way. That's where we came in. There are still hot spots, yes, but once the govt has a better foothold, and can get rid of all the old loyalists in hiding, then they can have a more effective military and police forces. It will take time, and only the people can truly work to get rid of all the religious extremists, which is really what's killing that country. I for one, hope they can do it without our help. That will seal their place as an independent nation.

Oct 18, 2009 10:35 AM ET #20 (permalink)

nuke iraq and turn it into a landfill!!

Oct 18, 2009 11:19 AM ET #21 (permalink)

branded-I kind of expected that response from you...lol
I wouldn't say I blame AMERICA, just our government. Yes, Iraq has had a shitload of civil wars, but we made them a hell of a lot worse by going in. Also, a lot of the shit that goes down is mainly from mercenaries fucking up royally. I have a huge respect for our soldiers and don't understand why we're fighting this pointless war in the first place...

Oct 18, 2009 5:44 PM ET #22 (permalink)

well nuking seem to be the solution these people dont want peace
but use a battlefield weapon they are not so bad the fallout is only a few miles

Oct 19, 2009 12:44 AM ET #23 (permalink)

If Iraq will be destroyed, let the Iraqi people destroy it themselves. I think that's the best answer I can give right now. Sorry, I had a strange day and my mind is just not working right.

Oct 20, 2009 10:26 PM ET #24 (permalink)

Soooo... How is everyone today?

Oct 20, 2009 11:16 PM ET #25 (permalink)

Not bad Hammer. I think everyone thought this thread was going to die, but I guess that'll have to wait.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum