"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

What can we do better?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Bugs Reports, Suggestions, and Feedback >> What can we do better?

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 52 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 52 1 2 3 Last
Oct 1, 2009 1:11 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Metalunderground.com is over 8 years old and I still have a list of to-dos a mile long. Often, it's hard to focus on one thing because other demands (site and real life) lead me to shift my focus. So I want to ask you all, our readers, what you think we can do better both content-wise and site features/improvements so perhaps I can get a new perspective on my priorities here and refocus on them. Thanks in advance for reading and your feedback.

Oct 1, 2009 6:21 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Maybe some kind of system where one has to make a certain number of posts before they have the ability to start their own new threads? It would definitely cut down on spammers.

Oct 1, 2009 9:15 PM ET #3 (permalink)

^Second.

Oct 1, 2009 10:30 PM ET #4 (permalink)

That's an interesting idea. Do other sites you've used do that?

Oct 1, 2009 11:53 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I think the Tucker Max/Rudius Media and NewCelica boards do it, though I could be wrong.

Oct 8, 2009 11:15 AM ET #6 (permalink)

I really like that idea as well. Way too many spammers.

Nov 16, 2009 3:35 PM ET #7 (permalink)

"Maybe some kind of system where one has to make a certain number of posts before they have the ability to start their own new threads? It would definitely cut down on spammers."

Doesn't that just create more spammers within the threads themselves... creates people trying to reach that number where they can create their own threads.

Nov 20, 2009 12:35 PM ET #8 (permalink)

I've seen this on other sites and it's a good idea it's better to see it in threads than on the forum's main page.

Nov 20, 2009 8:52 PM ET #9 (permalink)

I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it sounds like a great deterrent to control spam and drive-by posters, but on the other, it deters those who like to stalk and read from posting something when they may have a valid question to post as a new thread. This could lead to derailing threads because the poster has no other choice. And stalkers make up the vast majority of users/readers over the vocal minority.

Nov 21, 2009 11:52 AM ET #10 (permalink)

I don't think it should be a problem as long as the number of posts required isn't extremely high. Spammers who want to post a thread and leave may be deterred just by the fact that they have to put in a bit of time and effort elsewhere in the forum. I think it's a great idea, personally. Just leave the number low, like say.. 5?

Nov 24, 2009 9:30 AM ET #11 (permalink)

But what's stopping them from dropping their spam in a reply instead of a new thread? I'll keep it in mind, but I have a couple things to take care of before that still... like highlighting new messages.

Nov 25, 2009 1:25 AM ET #12 (permalink)

make it to where only members can post. tired of all the trolls who dont deserve to be here!

Nov 25, 2009 12:08 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Only members can post in the forums. I do not plan to close off general comments to members only, however.

Nov 25, 2009 1:55 PM ET #14 (permalink)

would it be possible to keep everyones past avatar present for the comments they made while using that avatar. that would be pretty cool to go back and see how others have expressed themselves through the conversations.

Nov 25, 2009 5:49 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Not really. Avatars are implemented via Gravatar.com, a third party service. So when you update, it updates everywhere. Which is usually the desired effect for the user. (but I realize sometimes it may not be).

Nov 25, 2009 6:20 PM ET #16 (permalink)

I wish our candy machine wouldn't keep rejecting our money.... because... alot of staff, really like candy.

Nov 25, 2009 6:50 PM ET #17 (permalink)

how come i see two different avatars from shredder13?

Nov 25, 2009 7:46 PM ET #18 (permalink)

He must have changed it and it's just a caching issue. Sometimes it shows up sooner in some places than others. I don't quite get how that happens either.

What? I didn't get that, Oz.

Nov 26, 2009 12:16 PM ET #19 (permalink)

Hmmm...im thinking a gig guide.... where u can search for gigs by place and date! not just the artist!

thanks for the great site guys!

Nov 26, 2009 7:46 PM ET #20 (permalink)

Agreed with db on these issues, it's not too hard to ignore or delete spammy/stupid threads and we don't want to discourage posting and promote off topic but valid questions. Also if a troll like this "Diamond Oz" character can post a thread anyone should be able to :P

Also prefer that avatars are kept current for past posts, helps avoid confusion. Not needing to be a member to post on a news item is one of the things that makes MU great.

Dec 1, 2009 9:50 PM ET #21 (permalink)

being able to send a private message can be a great feature that can connect the metal community.

Dec 2, 2009 5:27 PM ET #22 (permalink)

The reason you're seeing two different avatars is because I changed the email for my MU account. I guess the avatar that was attached to my previous email remained in place.

A private messaging system sounds pretty neat.

Dec 2, 2009 5:39 PM ET #23 (permalink)

There you go. Thanks for the explanation. I didn't think about that, but the forum stores the poster's email address separately from the main user table... so you can see old avatars here. But it's something I might be able to fix too.

Dec 5, 2009 11:51 AM ET #24 (permalink)

As far as private messages go, if users provided an e-mail address in their profile or something, you could just send them an e-mail. But I imagine a lot of people probably aren't willing to make theirs public.

Jan 13, 2010 3:23 PM ET #25 (permalink)

put more sub forums in, the ones that are here now are too broad imo

Reply to Discussion or Return to Bugs Reports, Suggestions, and Feedback forum