"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Sounds of the Underground 2009

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Sounds of the Underground 2009

Displaying 6 posts
Displaying 6 posts
Sep 29, 2009 9:53 PM ET #1 (permalink)

has anybody heard anything at all bout a possible SOTU this year or next year?

Oct 11, 2009 4:01 AM ET #2 (permalink)

You really would probably find an answer more quickly if you just put forth a little e-effort and did some searching. But to answer your question, I highly doubt it would happen since they dropped off the market this summer. Mayhem Fest pretty much has the whole US touring metal festival thing on lockdown, and I guess the Summer Slaughter and Thrash & Burn tours to a lesser degree. Maybe something will come along LIKE Sounds to compete w/ Mayhem, but I don't really see a resurrection occurring.

(This post was last edited on October 11, 2009 at 4:02 AM ET.)

Oct 14, 2009 2:23 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Nope, Sounds of the Underground Tour is history, cost the promoters too much. Since most kids steal their music the only way to put a large festival together is with 40 corporate sponsers. SOTU was one of the last attempts for a record label to foot the bill, and it failed because downloading is not a victimless crimes, no matter what the kids will tell ya.
In a nutshell, Mayhem had a MASSIVE corporate sponser- Monster Energy Drink- SOTU did not. That made all the difference in the world.

Oct 14, 2009 3:01 PM ET #4 (permalink)

I fail to see the cause and effect of downloading on festivals. Seems like a weak link to me. Sure, perhaps if the labels behind SOTU had more sales and money, they could put on a festival, but in the other 9/10 cases, the extra revenue is just lining executives' pockets, so I'm still not feeling sorry for anyone here. I don't condone piracy, but I don't think it is the sole reason for all the ills of the music industry either. I'd ask for better treatment of the artists before I worry about a festival for the fans anyway.

Oct 14, 2009 3:45 PM ET #5 (permalink)

DB- I certainly agree that it is not the sole cause, but I believe that it is related. IMO The Sounds of Underground failed because a record company could not meet the cost of a traveling festival with 2 stages. I feel that the revenue lost from downloading may have been used to cover any losses in the tour budget. I am speculating, but maybe they could have kept it going if they had the opportunity to receive compensation for every product "manufactured". The Monster Mayhem Tour does not have the same problem because the sponsers are not part of an industry that is comprised of individuals who feel they are entitled to the product for free. If people stole Monster drinks as much as they steal music, the Mayhemfest would fold too (or get a newer, bigger corporate sponsor).
As a result the executives pockets are still being filled, but instead of it being the executives at Nuclear Blast Records, for example, it is the executives at Monster Energy drink who are making all the money. Personally, I recognize that the promotor will make a profit. With out going into detail in regard the quantity or the means by which it is achieved, I will say that I would rather see the money go to a record company whose business is signing new artists and keeping the metal scene going instead of a energy drink company like Monster that will not ever be paying for any band's studio time. Just my opinion.

But hey, on a positive note, at least the Dolphins upset the Jets on Monday ;)

Oct 15, 2009 8:50 PM ET #6 (permalink)

lol that went alot farther than what i was askin but its all good. a good topic for descussion lol. but i think that if SOTU really is over for good that it was probably their own fault because of the bands they had on the bill the last year they had it. dont get me wrong GWAR is amazing live but they needed a bigger band to headline like Lamb of God or Killswitch Engage.....bands that bring in tons and tons of fans. Yes i kno that its for underground bands (given its name lol) but you still need a very well known/well liked band headlining to bring in the ppl. and i really think that is where they fucked up.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum