"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

if i wanted to learn metal?

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> if i wanted to learn metal?

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 26 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 26 1 2 Last
Sep 25, 2009 2:42 AM ET #1 (permalink)

which regulers would be good to ask that would lead me in the right direction?

Sep 25, 2009 5:45 AM ET #2 (permalink)

Depends on what you mean by "learn metal" - if you want to learn to play, the musician's forum section would be a good place to start. If you want to learn genre distinction, and how to critically assess music, the staff reviewers can definitely help you out (and everyone else will have their opinions to add, too). If you want to learn about which bands are good, which are rubbish, and why certain bands are metal or brutal or true or heavy and others are merely attempting to be, well, stick around, you'll pick up a lot of tips just from reading others' posts.

If you want to learn how to be a smithy, you've come to the wrong place :P

Sep 25, 2009 11:06 AM ET #3 (permalink)

Lol Psythe at the smithy comment. Well I'm always available to answer questions IKMTY. But really if you're looking to get into extreme metal. We need some info to get started though, out of the massive spectrum of metal, what type are you looking for?

Also, (and I think we've discussed this before), in reference to your profile... the term "pure true thrash" could be considered quite a sacred term in the metal community reserved for bands such as Slayer, Exodus etc. It is never used in conjunction with the words "Trivium" or "Protest the Hero" if you know what I mena.

(This post was last edited on September 25, 2009 at 11:07 AM ET.)

Sep 25, 2009 11:08 AM ET #4 (permalink)

IKMTY: Cynic is your genre expert. As Psythe pointed out, you'll need to define what your asking a bit better as well. Also, check out the now playing thread. You can often pick up on bands there you may or may not have heard of before. BTW... My Chemical Romance? NOT METAL.

Sep 25, 2009 10:13 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Before we go any further, I think it needs to be said each individual will favor some music over other's. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a matter of personal opinion. I happen to like a band like saaaayyy.....Trivium. Alot of people think they are a bunch of wankers, but I don't give the thumbs up or down based solely one one or two opinions. I used to hate Cradle of Filth, then I started to come around and like them. The power is in your hands there brother.

Sep 26, 2009 5:09 PM ET #6 (permalink)

i guess im looking for those that get whats true metal annd really understand the genre divides. idk who the best ppl around here would be talk to stuff about that.

Sep 26, 2009 5:38 PM ET #7 (permalink)

It is quite obvious from your profile that by "really understand the genre divides" means "telepathically understand what particular ideas I have about words like thrash I have heard", rather than "heavily researched on what the terms that the metal community at large has forged into music culture".

You want the most best albums widely regarded and praised as true thrash? Off the top of my head,

-Kreator's "Pleasure to Kill"
-Slayer's "Reign in Blood"
-Holy Moses's "Finished with the Dogs"
-Metallica's "Ride the Lightning"
-Exodus' "Bonded by Blood"
-Dark Angel's "Darkness Descends"
-Annihilator's "Alice in Hell"
-Forbidden's "Forbidden Evil"
-Megadeth's "Rust in Peace"
-Overkill's "Feel The Fire"
-Sepultura's "Beneath the Remains"
-Sodom's "Agent Orange"

etc., There you go, these albums are the most purest thrash in the sense they contain little trace of any other close metal subgenre's such as crossover or death metal.

Sep 26, 2009 7:52 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Great list there Cynic! I've got every one of those albums (except "Darkness Descends") in my personal collection.

I'll add a few more of my favorite Thrash albums.

Destruction - Infernal Overkill
Whiplash - Power and Pain
Razor - Evil Invaders
Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction
Darkness - Death Squad
Deathrow - Raging Steel
Violent Force - Malevolent Assault of Tomorrow
D├ętente - Recognize No Authority
Sadus - Chemical Exposure
Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare
Sacrilege - Within The Prophecy

I'll stop now

Sep 26, 2009 8:15 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Wait...just a few more!

Anthrax - Fistful of Metal
Slaughter - Strappado
Attomica - Disturbing The Noise
Sacrifice - Torment In Fire
Xentrix - For Whose Advantage?
Onslaught - The Force
Sentinel Beast - Depths of Death
Tankard - Zombie Attack
Protector - Golem
Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death
Infernal Majesty - None Shall Defy
Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday For the Deceiver
Exumer - Possessed By Fire
Blood Feast - Chopping Block Blues

*Wipes forehead*
That should be enough to blow your organs to pieces!

(This post was last edited on September 26, 2009 at 8:22 PM ET.)

Sep 26, 2009 8:44 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Nuclear Assault - Game Over
Sacred Reich - Surf Nicaragua
Sabbat - Dreamweaver
Assassin - The Upcoming Terror
Necronomicon - Escalation
Artillery - By Inheritance
Powerlord - The Awakening
Realm - Endless War
At War - Ordered To Kill

Fukkin' A! I'm outta here!

Sep 26, 2009 9:16 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Lol, yeah I was trying to stick to top tier ones but we may as well go the whole hog and make something out of this thread! I know this is your specialty area :P

Testament - The Legacy

Holy Terror - Mind Wars
Laaz Rocket - Know Your Enemy
Wargasm - Why Play Around?
Znowhite - Act of God
Agent Steel - Unstoppable Force
Death Angel - Ultra Violence
Demolition Hammer - Tortured Existence
Aggression - The Full Treatment <;- Underrated!
Anacrusis - Suffering Hour
Coroner - R.I.P.
Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday For The Deceiver
Voivod - Dimension Hatross
Atrophy - Socialized Hate

..Well as far as old-school go I've hit all my favs! Token mention of Violator as my favourite new thrash act. Cheers for your list too SHREDDER there are a few bands in there I've never heard of (Powerlord, Attomica, Protector etc.)

Sep 27, 2009 2:00 AM ET #12 (permalink)

Ah yes! I forgot all about Demolition Hammer & Agent Steel. As for the rest of the bands, I've only heard a number of songs from each one. In addition, "Anacrusis" and "Atrophy" are completely new to me. I'll check them out later tonight! Shall we extend the list to a greater extent?

S.D.I. - Sign of the Wicked
D.R.I. - Thrash Zone
S.O.D. - Speak English or Die
M.O.D. - U.S.A. For M.O.D.
Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Tendencies
Wehrmacht - Shark Attack
Sacrilege B.C. - Party With God
Heathen - Breaking The Silence
Paradox - Heresy
Excel - Split Image
Vendetta - Brain Damage
Iron Angel - Hellish Crossfire
Vectom - Speed Revolution
Risk - Hell's Animals
Grinder - Dead End
Defiance - Product of Society

The following bands range from Power/Speed/Heavy Metal (NWOBHM) and they definitely deserve some recognition.

Exciter - Heavy Metal Maniac
Predator - Easy Prey
Riot - Thundersteel (as mentioned in another thread)
Tank - Honour & Blood (as mentioned in another thread)
Victim - Power Hungry
Street Fighter - Shoot You Down
Liege Lord - Master Control
Scanner - Hypertrace
Grim Reaper - See You In Hell
Rebellion - Born A Rebel
Running Wild - Gates to Purgatory
Warrant - The Enforcer
Hellion - Screams In The Night
Chastain - Ruler of the Wasteland
Bulldozer - IX
Coven - Blessed is the Black

Well, that's all I have in store for now! I'll list some more in the near future.

(This post was last edited on September 27, 2009 at 2:56 AM ET.)

Sep 27, 2009 11:34 AM ET #13 (permalink)

All excellent bands and albums but how could you leave out

Cancer - Death Shall Rise

Sep 27, 2009 12:22 PM ET #14 (permalink)

I love that Cancer album but it's what I'd consider a classic death metal album. I've only got a mix of obscure ones left...

Blind Illusion - The Sane Asylum
Powermad - Absolute Power
S.A. Slayer - Go For The Throat
Carnivore - Retaliation
Cacophony - Speed Metal Symphony
Mekong Delta - The Music Of Erich Zann
Num Skull - Ritually Abused
Ice Age - Instant Justice
Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican
Aftermath - Eyes of Tomorrow
Juggernaut - Baptism Under Fire

SHREDDER - I'll stay away from the Power/Thrash/Heavy list because otherwise we'll be here all day :P BUT! I have have to say first, check out Crimson Glory's "Transcendence" - if you like Riot's "Thundersteel" as much as me you'll dig it.

Sep 28, 2009 3:16 AM ET #15 (permalink)

ok, so Cynic and Shredder13. who are the other credible members whos opinions and suggestions i can trust?

i'll start looking up some of the thrash recommendations. thanks guys

Sep 28, 2009 8:24 AM ET #16 (permalink)

What types of metal are you wanting specifically? Each member may have their own specialty genre.

Sep 28, 2009 8:45 AM ET #17 (permalink)

Are you into old school death metal and any of the NWOSDM sounding bands? I'm not talking about the newer deathcore bands, I'm talking old stuff.

Sep 28, 2009 10:44 AM ET #18 (permalink)

IKMTY: I think you have plenty to start with.

Cynic/Shredder/AP1/Jackrum: Nice job guys.

(This post was last edited on September 28, 2009 at 10:45 AM ET.)

Sep 28, 2009 11:01 AM ET #19 (permalink)

Pretty much everyone who visits the forums is trustworthy IKMTY. But you need to realize that the list SHREDDER and I produced is mainly made up of obscure bands for thrash addicts, you probably won't like most of them (apart from my first list which is the classics).

If you really want some good band ideas, give us a small list of bands you would like your recommendations to be based off.

Sep 28, 2009 1:49 PM ET #20 (permalink)

IKMTY: I think you need to listen to Cynic. You don't want someone that looks like that to be at odds with you. He has horns for gosh sakes.

Sep 28, 2009 2:43 PM ET #21 (permalink)

he has horns.. they were forged from the bones of fully grown wolly mamoths and Odin himself was their maker..

plus he has acceptable music taste ;)

Sep 28, 2009 5:57 PM ET #22 (permalink)

dude you dont learn metal it comes from the heart and our black soul

but start out easy with some old school heavy metal and than move to the serious stuff thrash metal and death metal
hornup

cemetary gates pantera

Oct 10, 2009 11:53 AM ET #23 (permalink)

Hell, there's a lot of new bands for me to check out as well. I love thrash, but I only know about a handful of the non-mainstream bands. Thanks guys.

Oct 10, 2009 3:36 PM ET #24 (permalink)

I'd like to add Xentrix - For Who's Advantage to those thrash lists.

As AP1 pointed out, you're not going to like everything. The best thing is to check these bands and genres out but do it again every once in awhile because your taste may have grown or something with the more you listen to. For example, I used to hate death metal, now there's a fair few bands I've found that I like such as Suffocation, Skinless, Cannibal Corpse and Obituary. I still don't like Black Metal but I'm open to the idea that I may like it in future.

Oct 11, 2009 7:04 AM ET #25 (permalink)

good solid bands:

Metallica- first few albums
Anthrax
Slayer
Exodus
Machine Head
Iron Maiden
Testament
Megadeth
Evile

thats your basic thrash with Iron Maiden thrown in because you cant go wrong with Maiden

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum