"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Pro Tools

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> Pro Tools

Displaying 11 posts
Displaying 11 posts
Jul 8, 2009 4:53 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I recently bought Pro Tools M-Powered 8 software and a Line 6 POD Studio UX1 for my laptop. When I try running Pro Tools it always says "Unable to locate M-Audio hardware" and turns off. I tried searching Digidesign's forums, but all I get was a big wall of computer jibberish that I really don't feel like trying to comprehend. Do I need to buy hardware like the M-audio Mbox? I was under the impression that my Line6 shit would work fine on Pro Tools without me having to spend more money. I'm pretty sure that I read on one of the threads that Blindgreed1 has used Pro Tools, so I'm mainly aiming this at him, but any help is appreciated.

Jul 8, 2009 7:43 PM ET #2 (permalink)

simple question: do you have m-audio hardware connected? if so which one?

Jul 8, 2009 8:09 PM ET #3 (permalink)

No M-audio hardware to connect.

Would I need something like this?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Fast-Track-USB-Computer-Recording-Interface?sku=703606#new

Jul 8, 2009 8:13 PM ET #4 (permalink)

POV: Sorry man, my engineer used Pro Tools. I just grunted into the microphone and said yay or nay to the end result. Sounds like Z is your man.

Jul 8, 2009 8:24 PM ET #5 (permalink)

yup you would need just that Pursuit_Of_Vikings.

Jul 8, 2009 8:30 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Sweet. I had used Acid software in the past and I didn't have to buy hardware for that so I assumed pro tools would be the same way. I feel slightly raped, but I can deal with spending 70 bucks.

Jul 8, 2009 8:39 PM ET #7 (permalink)

nope, that's why people HATE protools. check out reaper (reaper.fm) it's great. i use it for pretty much everything. protools for recording if i'm at a studio. logic is also the best for mixing... but yeah.

Jul 31, 2009 12:24 PM ET #8 (permalink)

yea pro-tools will refuse to operate without an interface. excuse me it refuses to operate without a "digidesign" brand interface, and seeing as how you have m-powered pro tools you'll need an mbox of some sort, i doubt you could use a digi 002 for that. i have a digi 002 and protools le 7.3 and i love it, its really smooth and has alot of great features.

Sep 15, 2009 1:22 AM ET #9 (permalink)

Pro Tools is now under the AVID company which is a video editing company. Pro Tools needs an interface
to make it work, we went with (2) profire 2626 for our studio. Pro Tools is a great program when everything
is synct right. This means make sure you power everything up in order or you might run into other problems.
Pro Tools m-powered is a great program once you get the hang of it. With m-powered it has to be m-audio......
hope you get it working

Sep 17, 2009 5:47 PM ET #10 (permalink)

the singer and the guitarist from the band i used to play in when i lived in holland
have the same problems with pro tools but for them it was easy they had to conect indeed some kind if interface
but untill now they still hate it

Sep 18, 2009 6:22 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Well, I finally got the M-Audio Fast Track USB in the mail today. I plug it in, fire up Pro Tools. Still says "Unable to Locate M-Audio Hardware". I'm seriously about to shoot a motherfucker.

HGDSHGSLFDHGLDSHG:LSGTRSPOTPESRJSLHGVLHGODFUCKIT

Update: Oh my fucking god. I just glanced at the box, and I noticed that it says "Compatible with Pro Tools M-Powered 7". I have M-Powered 8. This had better not be why it isn't working. All the reviews I've read for the Fast Track just said they used it with Pro Tools M-Powered without listing a number.

(This post was last edited on September 18, 2009 at 6:37 PM ET.)

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum