"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Sup Fuckers 7

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Sup Fuckers 7

Displaying posts 126 - 150 of 1,000 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 39 40 Last
Displaying posts 126 - 150 of 1,000 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 39 40 Last
Sep 21, 2011 8:24 AM ET #126 (permalink)

Literally just finished listening to the new Anthrax album. I'm actually quite disappointed by it. It's not a bad album by any stretch but it's nowhere near as good as the reviews have been making it out to be. 4.5./5 my arse. Quite generic in places, sounds like SOiL or Puddle Of Mudd in others, Belladonna feels out of place somehow and one of the best tracks on there was a cover.

Sep 21, 2011 9:23 AM ET #127 (permalink)

I just got Anthrax's new one the other day (same time as Witchfinder General) too. I'm not blown away. It's a 3.5/5 on our scale to me. Like most Anthrax, it's a good record musically, but has some bland spots as you say. But I disagree on Belladonna's performance - I was actually surprised how good his performance is overall and like it better than some of his older stuff where he does more high pitched screaming. I did also get the feeling that some of the melodic parts were trying to fit in with today's scene/trends, but it does so overall in a way that's true to Anthrax. Still, just the thought cheapens it a little.

Sep 21, 2011 10:15 AM ET #128 (permalink)

R10

The new Anthrax is definately good,not great. Does'nt measure against Persistance of Time like alot of reviewers say,solid release though. I would give it a 3.5/5 also. Seems the front half of the album is much stronger than the back half. Belladonna does sound great,imo. Its certainly not as solid as Testaments or Overkills last records.

Sep 21, 2011 2:50 PM ET #129 (permalink)

Belladonna's vocals impressed me too considering when I saw him perform in 2005 he was dog shit. It's just the music itself sounded very similar to the last album with John Bush, so having Belladonna sing over material that clearly wasn't written with him in mind was weird. He sounded like a guest in his own band to me. Definitely agree that the first half is stronger than the second.

Sep 21, 2011 3:25 PM ET #130 (permalink)

need to wait till next week to give my opinoin

Sep 21, 2011 3:52 PM ET #131 (permalink)

R10

I can see what your saying Oz. The album was written 4 or so years ago,for Dan Nelson. Surprisingly,it came out prettu damn good,considering how dated the material was. Belladonna carried it i think. And hey,one of the best tunes on POT was a pop tune by J. Jackson,'Got the Time'. If you can listen to that one without playing air guitar or drums,i applaud you!

Sep 21, 2011 6:39 PM ET #132 (permalink)

ZMA

I wanna listen to the new Anthrax, but something subliminal in my head tells me I won't. Because Machine Head and TDWP, are gonna over shadow that.

DJ, late reply but you know way to much about that discussion we were having before for me to keep a good conversation going lol. You'd know 20 things to my 1 thing haha. But like you said it's the engineer in you.

Gore, I saw a video of a nun getting fisted a few years ago that was pretty crazy. She was takin' that fist. Can't find the video anymore but I haven't bothered to look so who knows.

Thanks for those riveting updates FAN.

Sup fuckers?
You know what's fun and time consuming? Bonfires. Been doin' that a lot recently. There's some offroad trails near me that I go to, to start them with friends. Cool, shit too because we start 'em right next to this abandon watch tower that you can climb up. Great view and good times. Oh and roasted marshmellows heh heh.

Sep 21, 2011 6:40 PM ET #133 (permalink)

I can honeslty say that with the exception of "Among the Living" and "We've come for you all", Anthrax records are ALWAYS 50/50. Some great songs, and the rest is usually kindof tiresome. Those two records are the only ones that are more or less great start to finish for me. This las tone is the same.

Fight em till you cant, I'm alive, In the End, and The Giant are really all I listen to, the rest just feels like filler. The Devil you know is alright but most of the time it bores me till halfway through. Revolution screams would be awesome but my copy i downloaded has the song clocking at 15 minutes long with a 6 minute bout of absolute silence right in the middle, which is downright unforgivable. Even some of the songs I like sound like they were written for Scott Ians other band "The damned things".

And honestly, Belladona does sound forced on the entire album, as though hes trying to sound like John Bush. the album and the vocal spots were obviously designed for someone with a strong john bush type voice, rather than belladonas weaker, but more adventurous sound. It almost makes it annoying to listen to. I'll look forward to the NEXT release though, when the songs are written with his voice in mind, rather than putting him in after the fact.

Sep 21, 2011 6:44 PM ET #134 (permalink)

Interesting - I can say personally that I've never been a huge fan of Anthrax bar a few tracks from "Among The Living". That was until a few weeks ago I guess when I heard "Persistence Of Time" for the first time and thought "shit, how did I miss this!". Great album, changed my perception on them a bit... but not really enough to buy the new one.

Sep 21, 2011 6:45 PM ET #135 (permalink)

ALTHOUGH THE NEW MACHINE HEAD IS AWESOME.

now that ZMA mentioned it i just remembered lol. Only one song on it that felt weak, and with a only 7 songs on the album, that kindof bites, but "This is the End" is so good it makes up for it. I am currently crying because its another album I wont be able to delete from my ipod in order to make room for the new Skeletonwitch. :O

Sep 21, 2011 6:54 PM ET #136 (permalink)

I've always taken exception to Machine Head philosophically, but not really musically. By that I mean it pisses me off they "evolve" with each album by jumping on whatever bandwagon is popular at the time, but even their worst -corisms or nu-metal leanings never actually offend me musically.

Sep 21, 2011 7:13 PM ET #137 (permalink)

^Ive grown to slightly loathe them after the fact, as I've discovered that trait over the years after already becoming a fan. To the point that I had deleted all their music I owned in sheer disinterest. I basically reserved them for "great live band to mosh to, even if all other bands at concert suck ass" status.

Though, after listening to the Blackening a year ago again, and enjoying far more the tracks i had ignored, I figured I would give them another shot with this album. And I can say it's an actually serious evolution in the bands sound. these last two albums have found them coming intot heir own. It ends up coming across as a somewhat epic, heavy groove thrash album with the scope that a Metallica or Iron Maiden album would shoot for. It's basically what trivium was trying to do two albums ago but succesful . I think I'm going to put one of my reviews up for it, so read that if you want a real perspective on it.

Sep 21, 2011 7:17 PM ET #138 (permalink)

Yeah I get the feeling MH say with every album - "hey you know what people like? Let's do that!" But yeah I'd check out their new one if it's decent.

Sep 21, 2011 7:41 PM ET #139 (permalink)

Sup fuckers?

Due to limited funds, I am having to chose between the new Opeth or the new Mastodon when I get paid next week. I am leaning towards new Mastodon, but I heard Heritage is pretty good.

I will probably pick up the new machine Head after I get the new Opeth and mastodon, which will probably be a month or two from now. I only own Burn My Eyes and The Blackening, which are two great albums.

The only Anthrax album I ever owned was Spreading the Disease. I wore that cassette out! I saw them open for Maiden a couple years with Dan (Don?) Nielson singing for them and it was a pretty crappy performance.

Sep 21, 2011 8:45 PM ET #140 (permalink)

Not heard much of the new Mastodon album but the new Opeth record is awesome, though Mastodon is probably a safer bet if you want something a bit heavy as Heritage is very prog and jazzy.

I saw them with Dan Nelson at Graspop and enjoyed the performance thoroughly, though I could never see the band actually releasing an album with him.

Sep 21, 2011 11:09 PM ET #141 (permalink)

Can't wait to listen to the new Machine Head record. I am fucking psyched.

As for the Opeth album, I didn't like it. I'm not a huge Opeth fan, but it didn't sound like them.

Sep 22, 2011 12:21 AM ET #142 (permalink)

^on the contrary, I thought it sounded exactly like Opeth, just without any heaviness to it. There is one song on it that has a a riff that could have used a death growl on it, but other than that, it was exactly the Opeth Ive come to know. Granted, if I hadnt had all the warnings of it being "not a heavy album", then I might have been a bit upset in expectation, but seeing as how we had plenty of advance notice, i was actually pleasently surprised. I had expected a Damnation-type album actually, and ended up getting just a non-death metal regular Opeth outing, so I liked it thouroughly.

I honestly dont understand the distaste for it. Not a breathtaking album in my opinion, but certaintly damn good for a particular mood.

Sep 22, 2011 9:49 AM ET #143 (permalink)

The new Textures, Polkadot Cadaver, Fair to Midland, BTBAM and Devin muthafuckin' Townsend records have all been incredible but White Arms of Athena's debut record is really getting my dick hard. Which reminds me - I've gotta work on the rest of this year's bananareviews...Whether you like it or not!

....you do, right?

Sep 22, 2011 9:58 AM ET #144 (permalink)

did like anthrax as well on graspop with dan
will let you know sunday abouthe new anthrax but looking out for the new mh

Sep 22, 2011 12:05 PM ET #145 (permalink)

FAN- From your description I may like the new Opeth. I am debating seeing them when they come to town next month, and since their current set list relies on a lot of the new stuff I feel that I should check it out before dropping the money. I thought that Watershed was their least greatest album.

Oz/Wilco- Rite on, I was pretty disappointed the time I saw Dan-thrax, but I am pretty sure it was their first show with him.

Banana- I am excited to eventually hear Devin's latest release

Sep 22, 2011 12:13 PM ET #146 (permalink)

Aye might have just been a bad night. Both times I've seen Anthrax though I thought the singers were the weak links and that the musicians themselves (no disrespect to vocalists) were really tight. Still gutted that I've never seen them with John Bush.

Sep 22, 2011 1:35 PM ET #147 (permalink)

I think that a lot to do with why I was so disappointed! I wanted to see John Bush, and had no clue Dan Nelson was even in the band. It was right around the time that Exodus replaced their singer with a similiar kind of Nu-Metal guy, so since everything (to me) that the Anthrax posse does is so contrived and transparently for the money it was kind of the last straw with me.

(This post was last edited on September 22, 2011 at 1:35 PM ET.)

Sep 23, 2011 11:44 AM ET #148 (permalink)

no matter wich singer they use i do love anthrax

today most work done i am done posting bills to the hotel room of our divers put the beer on ice no got to wait untill
some diver complins about the bill and most of all 4 so i can start drinking

Sep 23, 2011 11:54 AM ET #149 (permalink)

So I am heart-broken today.....no more REM! BWAHAHAHAHA

Sep 23, 2011 5:52 PM ET #150 (permalink)

*hugs Bruno and sings Everybody Hurts to him sweetly*

Boss called me into a conference room today. After a long heartfelt apology she drops the bomb... I'm gettin a fuckin RAISE!!! Whoohoo! Nobody has gotten raises in this company since Obama was elected, but boss said it came down from HQ today that I am to be worshipped and showered with money (pennies of course). *rocks out with his cock out* Do the helicopter!!!

This thread has been locked, as it has met the post limit. You may start a new thread to continue your discussion.

Return to General Discussion forum