"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Best Live Metal Band

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> Best Live Metal Band

Displaying 25 posts
Displaying 25 posts
Aug 23, 2011 12:04 AM ET #1 (permalink)

What's the best live metal band that you've seen? for me it's Metallica.

Aug 23, 2011 1:18 AM ET #2 (permalink)

The only metal band I've seen live is my own...

Aug 23, 2011 4:55 AM ET #3 (permalink)

R10

Iron Maidens never let me down. Seen them a half dozen times,never disappointed once. Priest is damn good also.

Aug 23, 2011 8:06 AM ET #4 (permalink)

Probably Priest. Exodus, Testament, Slayer and Electric Wizard rank up there too.

Aug 23, 2011 8:58 AM ET #5 (permalink)

Kreator and Suffocation are in a class of their own above every other metal band in my experience. Seen em both twice and both times they were just as batshit as the first time. Suffocation was actually even more intense the second time though. Almost got my nose broken when somebody headbutted my face twenty seconds into their first song.

Beneath them, Amon Amarth, Nile, and Dio were my favorite experiences.

I would say Slayer and Exodus too, but my experiences with them has been horribly ruined by the ungodly amount of hardcore dancers in attendance unfortunately. :P

Aug 23, 2011 5:23 PM ET #6 (permalink)

I have also seen Kreator twice. Once at a small club in Cardiff (co-headlining tour with Celtic Frost, who were fucking amazing by the way) and a few months ago at Graspop where they played on the main stage. I love Kreator but they don't work on a main stage at a big outdoor festival, felt a little... I dunno, bland I suppose, despite being skull crushingly heavy. Now, in a small venue, they're in a league of their own. Absolutely incredible. On the subject of German thash, Destruction are awesome live too.

Aug 23, 2011 6:47 PM ET #7 (permalink)

WellI mostly go to small venue stuff anyway. Large venue shows are hard for most bands to translate their presence to, so I generally dont bother unless it's one of the old-school guys who are used to the overblown theatricality of it.

Large Venue stuuf, i would go with Alice Cooper, and Dio, both at the same show. Cooper had all his elaborate shit and put on a fantastic theatrical bit(eating a baby, hanging himself, Uncle Sam costume for no fucking reason), but Dio came out with just himself, and the Sabbath boys behind him, and managed to pull off entertainment of exactly the same caliber. I can only imagine the glory of watching him back when he had all the dragon-slaying props and all that other crap.

Bands like Kreator are far too personal to translate well to a large unrelatable amorphous crowd. They dont jus tput on a perfomance, they interact heavily with the crowd and make them part of the performance, so you lose that part of their swagger when you place them on a large-scale stage.

So far the only band that Ive seen pull off both extremely well, at least as far as modern bands go, has been Lamb of God. I think Cannibal Corpse has it too; they raped face headlining the first stage of Mayhem a few years back, and that crowd was huge for a first stage band, so I think they could make the transition smoothly if they were given the chance.

Aug 23, 2011 7:53 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Saw LOG on the main stage at Graspop in 2009 and thought they were amazingly average. Never liked their music anyway and the stage presence consisted of Randy Blythe shouting "MOTHER FUCKERS!!!" in some context or another, before, during and after every. fucking. song. I was very bored. Don't know what they're like in a smaller venue and I can't see myself every bothering to find out.

Agreed on Alice and Dio though, they're beasts when it came to live performances on any scale.

Aug 23, 2011 8:06 PM ET #9 (permalink)

R10

Recieved an excellant e-mail from Mass Concerts today. Judas Priest,BLS,and Thin Lizzy in Lowell MA. I got my New England Priest date. I was getting worried,id miss out on thier last world tour. Kind of excited to see Thin Lizzy. Any of you seen the "new" Thin Lizzy? Oz?

Aug 23, 2011 8:31 PM ET #10 (permalink)

I haven't seen Thin Lizzy I'm afraid. I've always been a bit skeptical about it because in Lizzy you had one of the greatest frontmen that ever lived and obviously he's not with us anymore. Lizzy actually did a one off show in my town in May as a warm up for Download but at £26 a ticket, I chose to leave it and spent the money on a Grandmaster Flash ticket instead. I'm told new Thin Lizzy is still very good though, but £26 is way too much for what is essentially a tribute act.

Aug 23, 2011 9:05 PM ET #11 (permalink)

R10

Yea Oz,the older i get,it seems im able to enjoy all of Thin Lizzys work. When i was younger,it was thier hits,Whiskey in a Jar, etc. Thier live albums a classic,timeless stuff. Of course it isnt the same without P.Lynott,but it would still be pretty cool for me to see some of thier classics performed. And ive read mixed reviews on some of Priests European dates,everything from going through the motions to the new guy fits in well and they still kickass live. I wont miss them i know that,setlist looks great and im gonna be doing that "Priest,Priest,Priest" chant prior to them coming on. Theyre legends,theyve never let me down live. And i still kick myself for not seeing there British Steel 30th anniversary tour a few years ago.

Aug 24, 2011 1:56 AM ET #12 (permalink)

my guitar teachers band Darker Half (check em out). They hit every note and are so lively and full of energy on stage always running around, headbanging and making jokes with the crowd, saw them live two nights ago and was blown away (also found my guitar teacher headbanging amusing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs0BsNFk3jM my favourite song by em if you want to check them out (yeah im spamming my guitar teachers band, what of it? haha)

(This post was last edited on August 24, 2011 at 4:05 AM ET.)

Aug 25, 2011 5:29 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Opeth put on a great show. High on Fire as well, but I am a bit biased as I had been itching to see them play for years. I would have said Metaliica if the over the top banter from Lars and James didn't make it all feel so cheesy. Also Lars' short shorts ala Richard Simmons didn't help matters.

Aug 25, 2011 7:24 PM ET #14 (permalink)

I will admit I havent seen them(LoG) in a few years live. When I did see them, it was on the mainstage of Ozzfest, direct support for Ozzy, and they had just suddenly sprung out of the small venue tours and put on both this tour and Download, so I imagine the excitement may have translated to their show. I had just seen them a few months before wiht Machine Head, Trivium and Gojira, and that was small venue operation, so I caught them right at the transition I suppose.

Come to think of it, my one buddy saw them open up for Metallica and said they were rather lackluster, but I just assumed it was becasue of Metallica's weird stage set-up, as a couple bands who have toured with them have mentioned that as throwing them off a bit. I gues sIll just have to catch em again and see lol

Aug 25, 2011 9:46 PM ET #15 (permalink)

bets lives bands I have seen are; Throwdown, Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse and Iron Maiden (first time, second time was shit)
They all had something special.

Sep 7, 2011 5:20 PM ET #16 (permalink)

on the subject of LOG, i saw them when they opened for Metallica. Oz is right, it get's REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLLLY fucking annoying when Randy shouts MOTHERFUCKERS after every fucking two seconds that pass. I thought they kinda blew live, but then again that's when I was first getting into them. I've heard Maiden is absolutely amazing live as well as Priest (who I'm going to see November 15th). I've always wondered how Pantera was live though.

Sep 7, 2011 5:41 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Metallica's "An Evening with Metallica" tour in support of the Black album is an untouchable memory for me. It was a nice sized arena with the 360 stage and sounded fantastic.

I've seen LOG put on a number of good club shows in places with around 1000-2000 capacity. They always have a ton of energy. But if you don't like them, their shows probably won't change that either.

Sep 7, 2011 5:43 PM ET #18 (permalink)

R10

Metalheadx,is more annoying than hearing our beloved Ozzy shout,"Let me see those ciggerette lighters or let me see your fucking hands". Seriously,there frontmen,trying to get the crowd into it. I think LOG's great live,i could give two god damned shits if there in,favored,or not! And dude,Priest and Maiden are the masters of this shit,im seeing Priest the 20th of November!

Sep 9, 2011 6:28 PM ET #19 (permalink)

Yeah I'm seeing them too, only on november 15th. I'm psyched about black label society and priest, but idk about thin lizzy. they seem more classic rock than metal, but they're definitely an influence I'm sure.

Sep 9, 2011 6:29 PM ET #20 (permalink)

and on the subject of Metallica, nothing would possibly beat seeing them live. The energy that you have is like you're meeting god haha it's so fucking incredible.

Sep 10, 2011 9:36 AM ET #21 (permalink)

must say this year the scorpions robzombie volbeat at grasspop
the big 4 and ddp in holland

Sep 10, 2011 11:13 AM ET #22 (permalink)

Saw Metallica live once, back in 1985 when they were still good and Cliff was alive. Their sound quality was terrible and they were upstaged by Armored Saint. I think my favorite concert memories are Gwar, Cathedral/Carcass tour, Vital Remains, Voivod, Type O and the Yngwie-AC/DC tour. Oh yeah, can't forget seeing Celtic Frost...

Sep 10, 2011 9:45 PM ET #23 (permalink)

^it blows my mind that even with all the bands and concerts ive been to over the years, I havent seen a SINGLE BAND YOU MENTIONED live. Not one of em. And Ive had two chances to see Vital Remains that Ive missed already this year. Fuck me Ive got shit to catch up on lol

I just reminded myself while watching the video for Runes To My Memory, that Amon Amarth is probably one of my favorite live bands ever. Besides the regular moshing and general crowd-stage back and forth vibe that you get at most good live shows, theyre special, in that every time I go see them...THERE ARE NO SCENE KIDS lol. The only scene kid with the bangs and skinny jeans that was at the first AA concert I went to, was wearing a Slayer shirt, so even he knew what the deal was. It's like Amon Amarth is the official Mascot of true fucking metal or something. Not to mention the fact that EVERY person in the crowd knows the lyrics to half their songs, coupled with the brotherly viking atmosphere makes for a great fucking time. It's like ACDC and Cannibal Corpse were one band at the same time. Simultaneously brutal as hell and fun as fuck.

Black Dahlia Murder is rediculously fun too, just on stage presence and energy alone, but the scene kid and windmill imitators kindof ruin the fun. :P

Sep 11, 2011 1:40 PM ET #24 (permalink)

scene kids are a disease

Dec 12, 2011 10:26 AM ET #25 (permalink)

Roo

GWAR put on a truly mental show

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum