"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

MY DOWN EXPERIENCE

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> MY DOWN EXPERIENCE

Displaying 6 posts
Displaying 6 posts
Sep 6, 2009 1:37 AM ET #1 (permalink)

Here I am again to let everyone know of a great night had by all who were there.

Showed up at the Fillmore here in Charlotte NC, after the doors were opened. Sat out in the parking lot for a bit. Had to get the brain right (420!!) My buddy and I made our way in, and Evil Army was already on. Having never heard of or heard their music, I had no idea what to expect from them. Now all I can say is, HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!! This is one band you have to see live. Not knowing any songs, I stood there and watched one great fucking set!! These guys didnt come to goof off, they went out and played balls to the wall!!! i trully do want to see them again!!

The second band on was called Harp. Again not knowing of the band, I didnt know what was coming. Well, it was something a bit different. The band came out and began playing some pummeling metal. Musically, a pretty good band. The singer, surprised everyone, by being in the crowd and sang the whole set from the pit area. NOw, Im not trying to smacktalk the siger as he gave it 100% everything he had. He was screaming the whole time. I could make out a word here and there, but not too many. I do want you all to know that i am being fair and honest here. But overall, Harp just didnt impress me much. Good band musically, honestly, but Im not going to run out and buy their cd!!

Now, it was time for The Melvins. I have never really liked The Melvins, but I gave them a fair listen tonight. At first, I just was not liking them at all. Around halfway throught their set, I happened to smell a beautiful smell. I followed my nose, and found the source!! I asked the guy if he could just blow the hit in my direction. He then turns and hands me the pipe and lighter. Well, im not one to be rude, so I happily toked a few hits. After those hits, it seemed that The Melvins set was getting better. Not sure if it was the, IMO, very excellent smoke, or they just kicked it up a notch, but I was getting into it more. Just as I was about to start a pit, they ended their set very abruptly. I was kinda dissappointed, but o well. Just meant DOWN would be on sooner!!

THEN IT WAS TIME!!

DOWN came out and proceeded to detroy the Fillmore. The energy going through the place could probably be enough to power the entire east coast! Phil was in perfect form tonight. He was nailing every note with such precision, that nothing seemed to slow the flow in any way. Pepper was shredding his axe like he was 21 again. Jimmy was pounding the skins like he was a demon posessed, and thats a good thing!!! Kirk was kicking ass as well. I was able to get Kirks autograph, and he seemed cool and down to earth. The guy filling in on bass, sorry i didnt get his name, but he held his own with no problems from I could tell. DOWN was feeding off the crowd, and would whip the pit up into a frenzy like they controlled each and everyone of us. I dont remember at which point in the show, but i went up to do some surfing. As I was going over the barricade, I got folded 90 degrees the wrong way. BUT PHIL REACHED OUT AND GRABBED MY HAND!! Not saying that makes me better than anyone else, but im not ever going the forget that moment!! As for getting folded the wrong way, I type this with pain coarsing through my back. But hey, it was fucking worth it!!

Setlist for DOWN Sept 5: (in no particular order)

EYES OF THE SOUTH
N.O.D.
LIFER
LYSERGIC FUNERAL PROCESSION
LOSING ALL
GHOSTS ALONG THE MISSISSIPPI
NEW ORLEANS IS A DYING WHORE
HAIL THE LEAF
NOTHING IN RETURN
STONE THE CROW
BURY ME IN SMOKE

I was wanting to hear On March The Saints, but o well. Im not going to complain about that setlist at all!!!

Sep 9, 2009 11:17 AM ET #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the experience...when Phil was grabbing your hand, I was probably washing baby bottles or some shit. Technically, I wouldn't trade it, but DAMN I wish I could have been there. Raleigh sucks, Charlotte rocks. #%!%$^.

In my pit days, I had a girl ask me to lift her up to surf. I proceeded to cup my fingers at waste level and she stepped in for the ride which ended up on her back...

Sep 9, 2009 11:40 AM ET #3 (permalink)

cozen, gwar is comin to charlotte on dec 9. maybe you can make that show!!

Sep 10, 2009 1:15 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Hell yeah, cool review! This was a tour not to miss, glad you caught and had a good time!
It sounds like they didn't have Weedeater open, though like they did in LA. Bummer, that band was tits!
Dude, I thought the Melvins are the shit by the way! How about those two drummers?

Sep 10, 2009 5:52 PM ET #5 (permalink)

the two drummers were good, but i was really wanting to see weedeater!!

Sep 10, 2009 6:44 PM ET #6 (permalink)

I think this tour introduced a lot of people to Weedeater so hopefully they will be back soon!

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum