"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Can Someone Help Me Out With My Vocals?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> Can Someone Help Me Out With My Vocals?

Displaying 5 posts
Displaying 5 posts
Jul 28, 2011 12:32 AM ET #1 (permalink)

I have everything else taken care of in my band but vocals. I wish to use death growls (George Fisher style, if that helps...actually, anywhere between there and Adam Darski will be awesome). I've spent hours searching YouTube and reading articles on how, but none help. I've even tried to do black metal vocals thinking they may be easier (fans of Gaahl, anyone?) and couldn't do them either. I just can't seem to get that "raspy" sound and when I do, my throat feels like shit afterwards. Most of the time, I sound like an old man sighing out his last breath when I'm trying low pitch and a Cradle of Filth and High on Fire fucked up flipper baby when high. Perhaps I'm not breathing or using my diaphragm correctly? So, can anyone help me out? Be much appreciated. Not having the vocals down is seriously hindering anything I try to do and have been pondering about leaving them out completely.

Jul 28, 2011 12:57 AM ET #2 (permalink)

Come to think of it, it's more like doing a painful gravely burp.

Jul 28, 2011 7:37 PM ET #3 (permalink)

As far as death growls go, shoot for actually yelling, like if you were yelling at someone on the street angrily, but putting as much bass into it as possible beforehand. It will sound retarted for a while, but persevere and keep trying, altering your voice as you get more control over what youre doing until youre satisfied with the results. honestly, you may be doing fiune already, you just needx to keep at it until your throat muscles adjust to make the sound youre trying to get.

Black metal vocals though, honestly do tend to fuck up your throat a lot more than death vocals, so approach those a bit more tenderly, most easily after youve already gotten a bit better at doing the standard death growl youre looking for; it will make it easier to try different styles once youve gotten that one down.

Jul 28, 2011 11:30 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Alright, man, thanks for your help. I'll just keep practicing.

Jul 30, 2011 4:08 PM ET #5 (permalink)

A shot or 2 of Jack Daniels and a Marlboro red beforehand. A small build up of phlegm in the throat. Sounds gross I know, but a clear throat is a clearer voice. My singing voice is more of a tenor, but as long as I had a bit of a gurgle I could pull of the Max Cavalera style of singing. The trick is to be able to sing in the growl without straininbg your throat or vocal chords. If you watch Mikael Ackerfeldt sing growls in the studio you will notice he seems to make no effort at all. That's what you are shooting for. If you notice any soreness that seems out of the ordinary or is more painful than usual you could be hurting your vocal chords. A voice trainer might be something to look into as well. Many singers use techniques that are potentially harmful in the long run but are able to correct them with training. And yes, keep practicing ;)

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum