"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Why are lefties the bastard children?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> Why are lefties the bastard children?

Displaying posts 26 - 40 of 40 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 26 - 40 of 40 1 2 Last
Jul 19, 2009 11:38 PM ET #26 (permalink)

MHD101: You are correct sir. If you switch stuff around, it still feels the same. What's wierd is, I play drums right handed, but gee-tars I play left.

Jul 22, 2009 12:47 PM ET #27 (permalink)

MHD101: You also have an advantage when it comes to alternate tunings. lol.

Jul 22, 2009 12:48 PM ET #28 (permalink)

MHD101: You also have an advantage when it comes to alternate tunings. lol

Jul 23, 2009 12:17 PM ET #29 (permalink)

mhd101 -- I hear that you also have an advantage when it comes to alternate tunings. =P

Jul 23, 2009 1:58 PM ET #30 (permalink)

mhd101 - Is that true that you have an advantage when it comes to alternate tunings.? Wow, that's fucking cool.!

(This post was last edited on July 23, 2009 at 1:59 PM ET.)

Jul 23, 2009 6:20 PM ET #31 (permalink)

mhd101 - There's a rumor circulating that lefties specializing in your instrument, and you specifically, contain an advantage when it comes to alternate tunings. Is this a fact?

Jul 24, 2009 2:55 AM ET #32 (permalink)

I'm left-handed, but for some reason I do a lot of things right-handedly... like, not coz I teach myself to, I just naturally pick up the golf club/cricket bat/guitar etc and play like a right-hander. I actually feel uncomfortable doing those things left-handed. But I write and draw and catch and throw and etc with my left hand... explanations?? lol

Edit: Also, C-c-c-c-combo breaker!

(This post was last edited on July 24, 2009 at 2:56 AM ET.)

Jul 24, 2009 12:32 PM ET #33 (permalink)

Jul 24, 2009 12:32 PM ET #34 (permalink)

Aug 1, 2009 12:23 PM ET #35 (permalink)

psythe -- I'm the same way. My whole family is left-handed, but I just kind of learned to do almost everything with my right hand instinctually and I too feel uncomfortable doing a lot of things with my left hand. I can't explain it either, it just happens sometimes I guess.

Sep 1, 2009 9:06 PM ET #36 (permalink)

you dont neccesarily have to PLAY lefthanded.

im lefthanded and i play righthanded and a only a little lefthanded. it harder to learn but i can still play YJM, PG, Vai n all dat shit. n it makes more guitars available for me to use.

THINK ABOUT IT is all im saying

Dec 2, 2009 3:57 AM ET #37 (permalink)

bump!

OP: I know your pain! I'm a lefty player too and have had a rough time finding guitars. If you want a cheap but quality bass, look into Schecter. I can't say for bass, but with their guitars the quality for the price is next to unbeatable in my opinion. If you can't find a place that sells them or don't like any you see then Yamaha is always a good choice too.

Personally though, I own an Ibanez bass from the Gio line. It's less than standard, but for $300 it does the trick for me when my bass player is not available heh. I wouldn't recommend that particular line, but if you have anywhere between 5 and 700 bucks, you could get a pretty decent bass from their Soundgear line.

Jan 4, 2010 9:00 AM ET #38 (permalink)

Tai

Hi! americanpatriot1, I was passing by the forum and red you entry. I'm a left-handed bass player. I got to Yamaha basses. Their pretty good although their a bit too generic for some people. They are really good for starters and their price range is rather nice.

There are two really bad things about beeing left-handed:

first, most shops don't have the instruments. It's rather hard to try out the right-handed ones and second, although most brands do have left-handed instruments, usually they don't have cheaper instruments, only the best, therefor most expensive ones. (that's where Yamaha is good. All of them come in left-handed "mode")

(hope my english is explicit enough...it's not my main language)

Cheers

Feb 10, 2010 2:44 PM ET #39 (permalink)

i'm left-handed but naturally play right-handed. couldn't play a left-handed guitar if my life depended on it.

Feb 10, 2010 4:41 PM ET #40 (permalink)

I'm a rightie!

I've tried playing as a leftie for fun. I can't hold a pick properly and I miss the strings. :(

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum