"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Why are lefties the bastard children?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> Why are lefties the bastard children?

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 40 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 40 1 2 Last
Jul 8, 2009 8:19 AM ET #1 (permalink)

I know that the overwhelming majority of gee-tar players are righties, but why is it that the lefties have such a hard time finding a lousy guitar? Does anyone know where I can find a cheap, but good left handed bass? I'm originally a drummer, but in the last few years, I've been wanting to play bass. I still love the cans though!!!

Jul 8, 2009 9:49 AM ET #2 (permalink)

Check out Ebay.. no joke man.!
They have everything, even guitars and basses for lefties ;-)
If you have questions as to, quality and price.?
I guess that's where this little chatroom will come in handy.!

Jul 8, 2009 10:21 AM ET #3 (permalink)

Hey man, what kind of price range are you thinking?
I'm bored today and doing some searching.. I can always
send you a link or point you in the right direction if I find
something.?

Jul 8, 2009 11:50 AM ET #4 (permalink)

It just so happens that I know a leftie (the Gothic Queen) that has a bass that is currently collecting dust. I will talk to her and get back with you.

Jul 8, 2009 1:00 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Something pretty cheap actually. I know that the cheaper it is, the quality won't be as good, but it will mostly be for tinkering around anyway. I don't think I have the time for something to serious.

Jul 8, 2009 1:09 PM ET #6 (permalink)

I feel your pain man...I'm a lefty guitarist. I had a hard time finding a guitar at my local guitar shop. At one point, I busted a Hendrix and re-stringed a Fender Strat to suit my comfort. As for bass hunting...Yeah I suggest you look on ebay. Good luck!

Jul 8, 2009 2:03 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Cheap doesn't always mean bad quality.?
Hell, a couple of the guitars in my collection were dirt cheap (under $200) When they were new they sold for $600+.!
I knew I was going to strip and refinish them, so the scratches,dents and stickers didn't bother me.!
I knew that it was good quality but didn't bother to explain that to the sellers ;-)

Jul 8, 2009 5:14 PM ET #8 (permalink)

As a lefty, my advice is if you've just started out, pack it in and learn right handed. It'll save you all the small hassles + the big one of finding decent priced guitars.

Jul 8, 2009 5:21 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Cynic makes a good point! Build up your skills as a right hander...

\,,l "Rattlehead" by ]v[EGADET]-[

Jul 8, 2009 8:51 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Or you could just learn to play upside down on right-handed guitars. I saw a guy on stage doin it once, i forgot what band though...

It would make reading tabs a fuckload easier! (fuckin upside-down tablature)

Jul 8, 2009 9:21 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Doyle Bramhall - is the guitarist/singer for his own band
Smokestack and is also the second guitarist for Eric Claptons band.! He plays his guitar with the strings strung upside down.! Weirdest thing I have ever seen... And he is amazing too.!!

Jul 8, 2009 9:31 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Yeah, but you're still getting most of the annoying factors like not being able to play other peoples cool guitars, and you find the volume knobs and pickup switches, you name it get in the way.

Jul 9, 2009 12:15 AM ET #13 (permalink)

Cynic you stole my exact thought there. Also, some guitars have a certain design that will make it uncomfortable to play.

Jul 9, 2009 11:18 AM ET #14 (permalink)

AP1: GQ aint letting go of her bass so take Cynic's advice and quit trying to play wrong handed. lol.

Jul 9, 2009 1:26 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Cynic's right. I'm a lefty as well, and I just learned how to play guitar right-handed from the start. Saved myself a lot of hassle.

Jul 9, 2009 2:24 PM ET #16 (permalink)

Dude's, I've tried, but I'm not nimble fingered enough to play right handed. And why do I have to conform? I have feeling to ya know. A-holes.

Jul 9, 2009 2:40 PM ET #17 (permalink)

You may have to try building up your finger dexterity first; it'll help a great deal.

Jul 9, 2009 3:03 PM ET #18 (permalink)

*points finger at AP1* FREAK!!!

Jul 10, 2009 12:10 AM ET #19 (permalink)

Screw you guys, I'm goin home.....bah bah bah.....screw you guys...home.

Jul 10, 2009 10:54 AM ET #20 (permalink)

AP1: LOL. Besides "Real guitars are for OLD people".

Jul 10, 2009 8:21 PM ET #21 (permalink)

Heh, funny you mentioned this... I tried learning guitar a couple of years back, but I couldn't do it well because I'm left-handed! I eventually got pissed off and quited guitar altogether. Just thought I'd mention it. I still have that old junky guitar my teacher was trying to teach me with. That guy HATED how slow I was learning.

Jul 10, 2009 9:11 PM ET #22 (permalink)

dudes check out
123 music they got lots of left handed things
i am left but learn to play bass right handed
and if you look for cheap bass stuff
you can buy on 123 music .com a starter pack
good luck finding what you look for

Jul 10, 2009 10:24 PM ET #23 (permalink)

Thanks Wilco.

Jul 19, 2009 6:38 PM ET #24 (permalink)

that's the greatest thing about being a left-handed drummer. I learned how to play right-handed...and I could just flip the set around if I wanted to :)

Jul 19, 2009 7:29 PM ET #25 (permalink)

You know what the greatest thing about being a vocalist is? Leftie? rightie? whateva! Just pick up a mike and yell something!

I saw a bumper sticker a while back that i thought was kinda quirky:
"Hey, Lefties have rights too..."

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum