"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Do bands lose their appeal with higher production values/getting signed?

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Do bands lose their appeal with higher production values/getting signed?

Displaying 9 posts
Displaying 9 posts
Sep 3, 2009 9:42 AM ET #1 (permalink)

This question is sort of two fold. I'm wondering if people have experienced knowing a band way before they were signed and then when they get signed their music suffers on many levels. in this case I'm refering to being more 'polished' and have that perfect production feel that doesn't feel real or too over the top. some bands sound better with that 'raw' underground feel. it sometimes adds a sense of aggression that you can't replicate in high end studios.

So whats your take on this MU?

Sep 3, 2009 11:33 AM ET #2 (permalink)

Once again 2 fold, but I like to use the Dimmu Borgir comparison. Their newer stuff is to me, better because of the production values. Emperor is another good example. Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk is an awesome album, with alot of cool stuff going on. Problem is, so much of it is buried under shoddy production. I think certain elements of Down would not be as good with a super clear production. I think Machine Head and Lamb of God are two great examples of the clean/dirty mixture. Clean enough to hear everything, but dirty enough to constantly walk around with your metal face.

Sep 3, 2009 1:54 PM ET #3 (permalink)

I do like polished vs raw, but there is a line into overproduced too. Despite the criticisms, I've never felt Lamb of God was overproduced. I have more the opposite problem of not liking to go back too far into the old school for purchases because listening to them is not as enjoyable if the production sucks. So I hope for some good remasters or re-recordings (when done well).

Sep 3, 2009 3:03 PM ET #4 (permalink)

I agree DB, some older things would be more enjoyable if re-mastered. Vio-lence maybe, along with some Celtic Frost.

Sep 3, 2009 3:49 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I cannot stand a majority of Black Metal simply for the production values. Newer stuff, ala Dimmu Borgir and certain Blackened influenced bands like Skeletonwitch find their way deep inot my heart, so I know hte style isnt the problem. I'm open to the music, just not the shoody recording. It's the same for much of Grindcore as well.

As for TOO clean? It's a turn off, but it doesnt ruin music for me. I personally though Lamb of God's last two albums were a bit too clean in sections, and I always furrow my eyebrows a bit when thrash is too clean. thrash in my opinion, seems to sound MUCH better when it's raw. I'm not sure why though...

Sep 3, 2009 6:04 PM ET #6 (permalink)

I know that a lot of old school Black Metaler's love the raw "recorded in someone's bathroom in the cellar" sound, but I prefer the higher end production myself. I believe you can have raw sounding with clean production (like Terry Date did with Vulgar Display of Power) but as my new best friend up there pointed out overproduced sounds just as bad to me as no production at all.

Sep 3, 2009 8:07 PM ET #7 (permalink)

I think it depends largely on the sungenre, to be honest. I like my thrash dirty, and my black metal raw. But anything that's supposed to be symphonic or technical or progressive or melodic I like clean. The wrong type of production can really ruin the feel of a record though, so I guess it comes down to the band, and how they envision their sound. Most of the time the way to go is to find the middle ground (Machine Head do this well, I think).

Sep 6, 2009 2:45 PM ET #8 (permalink)

stoner metal when its raw is the best. Buzzoven, bongzilla, sleep could you imagine if they where over produced.

Sep 10, 2009 12:30 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Neither one bothers me a bit. It just depends on the band.

Some bands just wouldn't sound good to me if they didn't have the "recorded in someone's bathroom" sound. For example, early Darkthrone. I just can't imagine that sounding too great if it were polished up.

On the other hand, it's hard to imagine bands like Necrophagist or other technical death metal bands with crappy production. It's pretty vital to their sound as a whole.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum