"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

MIDI/Computer Software

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> MIDI/Computer Software

Displaying 7 posts
Displaying 7 posts
Jul 7, 2009 8:43 PM ET #1 (permalink)

So it's no secret that I'm in a wheelchair, but I'd still like to write some metal symphonies via mouse/interface. Problem is, I can't find software that even comes close to reproducing quality sounds. Any tips?

Jul 7, 2009 9:01 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Hey Death - VSTs! Over the last year I worked up a setup so I know what you're aiming for. What you want is a way to write MIDI files (Powertab, Encore etc.), then a sequencer (Adobe Audition, Cubase, Sonar) and then get a VST (Virtual Instrument) plugin for the software. There are heaps of cool free VSTs out there for whatever instrument you want, it's just finding a sequencer which can be expensive. Try out trial versions first I say.

Hope that helps man!

Jul 7, 2009 9:09 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Yeah I had some Cakewalk software a few years ago and the VSTs I had sounded like VSTs (bad thing). Maybe they have improved? I'll look around. Thanks though!

Jul 7, 2009 9:15 PM ET #4 (permalink)

It depends what you want I guess. Guitars, terrible and always will be. There's just no way to reproduce a live guitar player. Bass not so bad if it's hidden under lots of guitar. Orchestral/symphony stuff and drums - really good in my opinion.

Jul 7, 2009 9:33 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I figured guitars would be hard, but I also thought if they could reproduce violin/cello.... Different stylings though.... Anyway, I guess I'll just work on redefining the core instrumentation of metal! Bach certainly got the organ rockin'!

Jul 7, 2009 9:47 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Well they can reproduce the sound of amps pretty well, it's just the MIDI underneath the guitar can't really express all the little nuances. Hey I'm sure if you ever write a few metal tracks and have the skeleton without guitar, someone like me would be happy to spend an hour or two recording the guitar tracks to what you wrote. Because if you record the basic signal, then you can use digital amps to do what ever you want to it.

Jul 8, 2009 8:43 AM ET #7 (permalink)

i use Finale to compose music. if you can read music it's great. guitar pro is good too.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum