"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

"Show no Mercy" style albums

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> "Show no Mercy" style albums

Displaying 11 posts
Displaying 11 posts
Jun 8, 2011 8:08 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Wondering if anyone has any good albums to recommend that are similar in style to Slayer's "Show No Mercy"
I already have Insane's "Wait and Pray", but that seems to be the only thing that's really similar. I found some Phantom Witch stuff that was sorta in the same vein as well, but that's pretty much the extent of it.

Jun 8, 2011 8:35 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Are you just trying to promote your band? If so do sell your wares in the deals section.

Jun 8, 2011 8:37 PM ET #3 (permalink)

What?
No, I'm looking for albums that sound similar to Show No Mercy or Wait and Pray...

Jun 9, 2011 3:28 AM ET #4 (permalink)

Sorry - bands often make thinly veiled attempts to market their albums with posts like this.

So I'm assuming you've checked out all the early thrash releases from Kreator, Exodus etc. and are looking for something really, really close to Slayer's debut?

Jun 9, 2011 6:31 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Yeah, I've already got some early Kreator stuff which didn't really interest me, and yeah I've got some Exodus as well. Pretty much most of the "mainstream" (ie. mainstream in the thrash metal culture) thrash bands.
I'm looking for something that's really close to Slayer's early style. If you have listened to Wait and Pray, that's basically what I'm looking for.

(This post was last edited on June 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM ET.)

Jun 10, 2011 5:14 AM ET #6 (permalink)

Yeah I get you - hmm it's a tough ask to get that close since you've got Slayer's debut and a bands trying to sound exactly like Slayer's debut. Even similar bands are going to sound a bit different but you might try,

Exciter - Violence & Force
Coroner - Punishment For Decadence
Death Angel - Ultra-Violence
Infernal Majesty - None Shall Defy
Sacrifice - Forward To Termination

They're some less obvious examples. Overkill's awesome debut "Feel The Fire" also has a similar feel in the riffs but the vocals are quite different.

Jun 10, 2011 10:26 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Oh wow, I can't thank you enough. I've heard of a few of these bands before, but never really got around to listening to them. The few songs I heard from Exciter and Coroner all sounded pretty badass, and I've already got the Ultra-Violence. Infernal Majesty and Sacrifice sounded ok I guess, but they're not really for me. I'll keep checking out their stuff to see if there's anything I like. Feel the Fire is good as well. Overkill is already pretty high on my list of thrash bands, but somehow I never found this album. Thanks again dude, this should be more than enough music for a long time now :D

Jun 11, 2011 9:16 PM ET #8 (permalink)

If you are looking for that classic 80's sounding thrash style that Slayer had, why not try "Mexico's Slayer"......Transmetal. They have been together almost as long as Slayer and have that classic retro sound. There's a million videos of them on Youtube, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BThN4mTWmn0

Jun 11, 2011 11:32 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Yes, go with Cynic's advice and check out Exciter to an even further extent. Have you listened to Whiplash's "Power and Pain" album? I think it shares a lot similarities with SNM.

Sonictherapy - Oh man, thanks for bringing that band up. It's music hunting time...

Jun 12, 2011 3:07 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Yes in fact I've recently gotten heavily into Whiplash. Power and Pain is definitely up there in my top thrash albums, which is somewhat odd for me because I don't normally go for the vocal style Tony uses on that album.
Heh, I was gonna post my favorite song from that album but then I realized I couldn't choose one.

Jul 10, 2011 12:07 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Try:

Cyclone
Possessed
Violence
Nasty Savage
Venom???
Mercyful Fate
Overkill
Dark Angel
Cancer
Coven
INC