"some music was meant to stay underground..."

70000 Tons of Metal - The World's Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

the 100 greatest metal guitarist

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> the 100 greatest metal guitarist

Displaying 14 posts
Displaying 14 posts
Aug 28, 2009 1:15 PM ET #1 (permalink)

we are talking about dave mustiane at the moment about his number 1
in the book
for the once who dont have to book yet
buy its a good book and joel mciver is a good writer and a friend of mine hahaha
so here is the top 10 out of the book
1 dave mustiane
2 john petrucci i disagree on that spot
3 jeff waters
4 zakk wylde
5 dimebag
6 tony iommi should be number 3 i think
7 trey azagthoth good choice
8 james hetfield good rythm guitar best in the world i do think
9 mikael akerfeldt
10 chuck schuldiner rip

11 fredrik thordendal
14 ralph santolla
18 kerry king
20 herman li
21 alexio laiho will be the next world schreder
22 jeff hanneman

28 micheal amott
49 andreas kisser
82 dan spitz
94 rob flynn

100 bystein aarseth

the other once i just pick out of the book
but they are among my fav metal players

Aug 28, 2009 1:21 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Hey thanks for this wilco, just for interest. Good to see Santolla and Azagthoth up there. Jeff Waters at 3 is ridiculous, he's written a lot of bad albums. I think the whole Hammett and Hetfield thing shows just how impossible this list is though - both are incredible at what they do, but they're apples and oranges. I mean, how can you ever compare Randy Rhoads and Stephen O'Malley?

Aug 28, 2009 1:29 PM ET #3 (permalink)

thats true bro
if you look at spot nuber two i think it should be friedman not petrucci

number 1 well have to say dave might be a asshole but he can play his guitar

Aug 28, 2009 1:44 PM ET #4 (permalink)

That was one of the problems i had wiht the list too. It's like saying, who's a better drummer, Tomas Haake or Marco Petruzella? (sp?) Haake is the rhytmic titan of metal, yet Marco plays incredibly faster andmore intricately. but do you think Marco could ever maintain the same complex rhythm for 5 minutes straight, with minor alterations throughout?

It's different styles in different settings. the only way to look at it is to find the people who are both great as rhythm AND lead guitarist in seperate instances. In that case, you COULD actually say Dave is really up there, considering that's more or less what he does on every other album, interchanging between styles with his other guitar player for who gets lead or not in which song.

I still say Chuck Schuldiner should be higher.

Aug 28, 2009 3:56 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Cynic - I disagree. Waters is a phenomenal player. Just out of curiosity, which album(s) did you not like?

(This post was last edited on August 28, 2009 at 4:04 PM ET.)

Aug 28, 2009 4:18 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Well his last one is the main culprit. But like most thrash bands, the general 90s output. (I admit I haven't listened to some of them right through, just a few tracks). I mean I like Alice In Hell and NeverNever Land, but to me those albums aren't enough to be #3 best metal guitarist ever. I don't know his shredding outside of those though, so maybe I was jumping the gun.

Ron Jarzombek would have been no 1. if it was up to me. Muhammed Suicmez anyone?

Aug 28, 2009 5:03 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Cynic - "Metal" is the album you're speaking of. Well, that album has it's up's and down's (just like most of Annihilator's work right after "Never, Neverland"). The problem with "Metal" was the excessive force of collaboration with various artists. The only albums in which I thought Waters displayed no decent effort at all were "Remains" and "All For You." All of his other work is just flat out mediocre. In my opinion, both "Alice In Hell" and "Never, Neverland" contain enough shredding to make Jeff an Axe God.

(This post was last edited on August 29, 2009 at 1:13 PM ET.)

Aug 29, 2009 12:26 AM ET #8 (permalink)

One, Dave Padden sucks in my opinion, and should have never gotten in Annihilator.
Two, Chuck Schuldiner Tony Iommi, and Dimebag should definitely be higher on this list.
Three, Where the hell is Muhammed Suicmez?!

Aug 29, 2009 12:28 PM ET #9 (permalink)

the funny thing is this came out a day or 2 after his lars rant! almost too coincidental!!

Aug 29, 2009 8:27 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Where is Matt Pike?

Sep 1, 2009 7:10 AM ET #11 (permalink)

Where is Skwisgaar Skwigelf?

Sep 1, 2009 10:12 AM ET #12 (permalink)

branded
book has been out for a while
way before lars spoke his words of wisdom

Sep 1, 2009 1:04 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Waters is great, but I don't care for a lot of Annihilator's music. Schuldiner should be higher, and where IS Muhammed on this list?!

Sep 1, 2009 6:14 PM ET #14 (permalink)

ShitI completely forgot about Jarzombek, which is retarted considering how much a fan I've become of his shit lately.

I wouldny say he gets no.1, but he should be somewhere close.

Now Playing: Cynic- the Unknown guest (It took me a while,but I'm finally getting into this band...alot)

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum