"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Annual Metal Underground Convention

Posted in: Forum Home >> Bugs Reports, Suggestions, and Feedback >> Annual Metal Underground Convention

Displaying 13 posts
Displaying 13 posts
Apr 22, 2011 3:25 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I think it would be cool if we had a massive Metal Underground Convention we could hold once a year. Planned far out so we could get the word out and everyone here at the MU Community could get together and kick back. It wouldnt have to be that expensive, big conventions at hotels are given awesome discounts and I am sure most people could room up to with the people they like and save even more money. Greyhound fairs are cheap and this would give us the opportunity to drink with all of our friends here at the MU, listen to music, jam out, and DB can sell shirts/hats/pins, all the stuff we are always hounding him for. We could even have a portion of it out in town somewhere to even get new fans and people to check out the site and such. I'm sure people here at MU would have even more stuff to add......anyways, thought that would be cool.

Apr 22, 2011 3:57 PM ET #2 (permalink)

RTB

that be great, idk how realistic it would be but it would be awesome...
i'd like to see the MU down the line maybe do a webcast of sorts, maybe some of the staff maybe doing live check ins from gigs across the nation, alot of us are in bands, so maybe some live footage sent in by members in bands, interviews with bands or say a video version of pit stories, DB giving a state of the union type of address to the MU nation talking about say the future, cd reviews, trolls, pro and cons of the site, what members that need to cut the crap or maybe prop up...im just thinking out loud but a webcast ever so often i think would be great, i'd say priority #1 over a get together..

Apr 22, 2011 4:08 PM ET #3 (permalink)

That would be pretty BA too. Nice RTB.

Apr 22, 2011 7:37 PM ET #4 (permalink)

RTB

Thank u my brother..\m/

Apr 22, 2011 8:41 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Ive suggested in the past that eventually people on this site meet up at Wacken. Wacken is pretty much the Mecca for metalheads in my opinion, so it made the most sense at the time. I would TOTALLY sponsor a metalunderground tent to be held there and sell merch or whatever.

Especially seeing how far apart some of the regulars live from each other, wacken made sense as an international meeting place (Diamond Oz and Jackrum are English, Irishmetal is um...duh, Cynic is in New Zealand I think, and Wiggles and Trendkill are in Australia. Tim and Rayze are in Asia, and Wilco is the bahamas or some shit, even though he's dutch. Thats just off the top of my head. Not to mention everybody being all spread out over the US and Canada.

But if somethin in the US could at least be done, say, near the Maryland Deathfest or something, a convention would be great. just a convention for the sake of a convention would be pointless. it needs to be a tag-on to something eventful to work.

Apr 22, 2011 9:31 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Yeah, I thought about doing it near a tour or festival to make it a added incentive. We have everyone from all over the world on this thing, but if it could be brought to a place physically instead of just on the net, it could do wonders for the site. Especially with things like twitter and Facebook, it wouldn't be hard to advertise. I just would like everyone to enjoy this site : ) Nice add FAN.

Apr 22, 2011 9:48 PM ET #7 (permalink)

I think RTB hit it on the head too though. I just got to thinking about the convention thing because I am currently working on a project like that right now and kinda had my gears going in that direction, but as for what everyone is willing to do, and to bridge the gap in worldwide fan base goes, a webcast would be great. Metal Tube!

Apr 22, 2011 10:03 PM ET #8 (permalink)

oh that would be cool! But I think the idea of meeting in Wacken or something would be more realistic.

I'm going to WOA 2013, after I graduate. If anyone wants to see me there, I know it's a long time from now but I'll still be a tall, long-black-haired, half-asian guy.

Apr 22, 2011 10:09 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Something like that could score something in our photo gallery for once too! Haha.

Apr 24, 2011 12:06 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Yeah, I agree we need to do something more community-centric. I'm not sure how many people on here get to Wacken each year. I've never been. I'll be at MD Deathfest this year (if anyone wants to meet up). SXSW is also a great place to meet up, as lots of bands come from all over the place to play there. You don't even have to attend the convention really - a lot of people just come and go to the shows (day shows being free and night shows generally open to all with a few exceptions).

We're kicking around ideas on a podcast and webcast as well. Will keep you all updated!

PS - also going to see Amon Amarth @ Jaxx on 5/2. If anyone else is, let me know.

(This post was last edited on April 24, 2011 at 10:45 PM ET.)

May 27, 2011 11:13 AM ET #11 (permalink)

+1 more from me for the webcast/podcast idea.

this is basically the more logical/realistic tread of the idea me , rtb, and hellratt have been kicking around since maybe last yr about the MU bbq. obviously, a fest or concert would be the best incentive. DB got it right tho. SXSW would be the best for all of the US members to meet up. i alrdy met FAN at the amon amarth show not long ago, and it was cool. since must of the (regular) members here have been around for a while, like FAN and i, it wasn't THAT awkward lol it was just friends hanging out at an awesome show. so SXSW would be amazing for us to ALL meet up.

idk about wacken, but i know there are A LOT of other euro/uk fests that all sound incredible. i'm planning/hoping on going to at least ONE next yr. hope to meet u all in the near future \m/

p.s. u guys, like metal rapture, that don't have me on fb, get to it now!!

May 28, 2011 2:31 AM ET #12 (permalink)

Rayze and I will hold our own MU convention here in Asia. He'll fly here, of course.

By the way, mixed-asian blood for the win!!! *highfive*

May 31, 2011 1:39 PM ET #13 (permalink)

ZMA

Yea I'm in NY so that Maryland Deathfest is a good idea for me. No way I'd be able to make it to Waken. I'd have sell my soul to get the money to get over there.

The webcast idea sounds like a pretty sick idea. Instant messaging and webcaming during live shows posted on this site. It'd be like we were all chillin' sort of lol. Metal_Rapture has the metal tube name already. Someones gotta copyright that. I haven't been here that long but it'd be cool to hangout at some sort of fest. Meet the regs. Everyones good people here.

I'm probably goin' to Mayhem this year and R10 is goin' to. Might get a chance to meet him. That'd be interesting.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Bugs Reports, Suggestions, and Feedback forum