"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

The Human Abstract Digital Veil Title Track

Posted in: Forum Home >> Core >> The Human Abstract Digital Veil Title Track

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 111 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 111 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Apr 6, 2011 4:51 PM ET #1 (permalink)

ZMA

First of the new album is amazing and I think it's their best release. I can really see heavy deathcore elements in the title track on the album. Am I crazy in thinking that? Digital Veil is totally different from their last release. I think that album was way more progressive.
I know everyone has their own opinion on what core sounds like. I mean either way I really enjoyed this album.

Apr 10, 2011 9:52 PM ET #2 (permalink)

ZMA

I guess I am the only one who thinks that about that title track haha.

Apr 11, 2011 10:06 AM ET #3 (permalink)

it is the heaviest song, BUT idt it's deathcore at all dude. amazing intricate and precise technicality there. no way deathcore is in that. travis' screams sound more like btbam's style of screams, but that's it. metalcore. AJ is the second coming! lol

Apr 11, 2011 4:34 PM ET #4 (permalink)

ZMA

Well the band is a technical progressive band. But the title track to me seems deathcore. The main riff under AJ's riff seems like it but I agree with the precise technicality of the song. And there are no clean vocals in that track. Deathcore vocals have that same deep style. All the other tracks on the album have a metalcore, progressive feel to them but metalcore to me always usually has a combination of clean and heavy vocals and Digital Veil just has heavy vocals on the track which is common in deathcore. I guess I'm just going crazy lol.
Listening to the song now and in some spots it almost seems to go death metal.
I'm looking way to into this I'm just gonna enjoy the album for whatever it is because it still kicks ass haha.

Apr 11, 2011 5:38 PM ET #5 (permalink)

yeah man lmao but NOT ALL metalcore is clean w/ screams. quite a few as i lay dying songs is just tim's straight up screams. darkest hour rarely uses clean vox. and august burns red doesn't have any clean vox at all.

Apr 12, 2011 12:32 AM ET #6 (permalink)

While I think this is a solid album and one that will make a lot of year-end lists, the amount of breakdowns on it is just infuriating. The neo-classical elements are much-needed and they don't take the cheesy orchestral route, which is great IMO (some parts even evoke images of Shakespearean tragedies) but when the breakdowns hit, it is teeth-clenching, fingernails-on-concrete type of stuff that you just want to completely shut out. But parts like the one that hits at 1:47 of the title track more than makes up for that, man. That is some badass stuff, right there. And hey, at least there isn't any djent on here!

Apr 12, 2011 12:40 AM ET #7 (permalink)

^almost my thoughts exactly. I decided a long time ago that I was against pointless tech-noodling overlaying core breakdowns. It's why I dont like All Shall Perish or Tony Danza's new album honestly, even though people have been jizzing all over them.

I do LOVE the song Faust though, and at least one other song off Digital Veil, but overall, this band is not for me till they get rid of whoever the mastermind behind the frequent breakdowns is. honestly, I would prefer djent stylings to that, to be underscoring the classical tech pieces.

But seriously, the song Faust is seriously well done. I'm not even sure why I like it, it just seems to be the best song on the album to me.

Apr 12, 2011 2:32 AM ET #8 (permalink)

ZMA

Yea that's true n0thing, not all bands use clean vox. I feel bands like that get classified a little differently without clean vocals. But that's just me being picky. I get what you're sayin'.

Since I'm into deathcore, I enjoy breakdowns like that. And I feel they put a different feel to it then other bands. Because the album has to great playing on it. AJ's riffs are amazing in it. That schooling he had really shows. I think the breakdowns mold well with the progressive thing they're doin'.

I do see where you're comin' from with thinking the breakdowns are too frequent.
I'm not goin' crazy over it but I have The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza's new album and I didn't think it was bad. It's technical deathcore. Without the right EQ it's hard to hear the vocalist though. Kinda annoying. But yea faust is my second favorite song. The title track is my first.

Apr 12, 2011 10:05 AM ET #9 (permalink)

bananana said is perfectly about some parts even evoking "images of Shakespearean tragedies", like in antebellum (my fav).

i completely understand what FAN says, cuz the breakdowns do sorta take away from the awesomeness of the record, BUT, to me AND i despise overuse of breakdowns especially when they're suicide silence-styled simplistic ones, it doesn't destroy the album either tho. i'm willing to bet that the breakdowns will lessen as they come out with more albums.

faust is a fucking great song, but it's my 3rd fav, 2nd being complex terms (amazing), and antebellum is the epidemy of perfection.

and i'm will ZMA, i love technically-overlayered breakdowns and off-the-walls sweeping and insane riffing from the likes of danza and within the ruins and such. i fucking LOVE danza's new record, but its true what zma says about the vox, that's why the hidden track after 12.21.12 is sucha tastey treat besides that actually kinda mellow section, is the vox are better understood will the almost anthem like lyrics closing the album, "the truth is... we are ALL... lost..."

Apr 12, 2011 3:49 PM ET #10 (permalink)

I just dont know what it was exactly, but for some reason I just could not tell songs on the new Danza album apart. Every time I skipped through a song, they all sounded exactly the same, like somebody just cut and pasted breakdowns, sweeps and tech riffs all over the place. Maybe I'm just bitching becasue I didnt give it a proper listen to pick up the subtleties, but I just dont find it being the thing for me.

and just to be clear, I didnt really hate the Human Abstract's album at all, it's simply that I have limited space on my ipod, and if something about an album or band is bothering me, I usually delete it after giving a it a few tries to make room for something new to listen to. hence, while I thought some portions of Digital Veil were fantastic, or at least decent enough to jam to, it didnt strike me as well as it would have if the breakdowns were less prevalent, so I have a bad memory of it. however, theyre definitely a band I'm keeping my eye on for a 5-star album in the future. I had the same problem with Nile and Black Dahlia Murder when I first tried em out, and now,a couple years down the line, I think there the shit. SO I'll keep my eyes, er, my ears open for these guys lol

btw, kinda related, totally digging the BTBAM album with the longass name they just put out. Far more focused than theyre previous work, despite being only 30 minutes long and only 3 songs. Each song has a distinct identity rather than just pointless jazzcoreing that I was afraid of. I definitively like it, even If I dont love it yet. I'm not on their bandwagon yet, but I'll keep an eye on the convoy when I can. (fuck yeah, cheesy metaphor)

Apr 12, 2011 6:20 PM ET #11 (permalink)

ZMA

I can definitely see what banana means. I love stuff like that. It gives the album a good atmosphere.

I think the breakdowns really add to the album. It'll come outta this amazing face melting solo into this hard breakdown that really gets me going. But like I said I'm into that stuff.

I'm not a Suicide Silence fan at all. Their music just annoys me, and I've given both albums a shot. Like I said I think THA put a different spin on their breakdowns. But I do think there are a lot and it wouldn't bother me to have a little less on their next release but have them hit harder. That would be great.
I just got into them with this album because AJ's playing and Travis' vocals really hit me hard when I gave it a listen, so it's hard for me to compare to their other stuff cause I wasn't that into it.

In my opinion the album is a great listen all the way through.

Ha yea I loved that hidden track. It had a different feel to the rest of the album. I agreed with the review that I read from that album, while he doesn't do much different vocally, it's Danza's most put together release and most mature release to date.

To FAN, I hear what you're sayin'. Give it a full listen, because yea a lot of it sounds the same, but on a full listen you'll definitely hear the differences between the tracks. W.A.L.L.S., Vicki Mayhem, and the hidden track are great songs by them give 'em a listen. Turn the treble up a bit though so you can hear his vocals a little better.
I was in the same boat about Nile. I just got into them with their newest release. I'm still not a fan of TBDM and like I said I just got into The Human Abstract with this release.
And yea BTBAM's new album is amazing. Progressive deathcore at it's finest. They fine tuned everything and focused on putting out 3 really really good songs rather then make a bunch of useless fillers. They did a great job IMO. Give it another listen and see how it hits you the second time around. Even if you take it off you're ipod keep it in your list of music for reference ya know?

Apr 13, 2011 12:09 AM ET #12 (permalink)

"Ohhh!! How we BELIEVE IN!! All the monuments built - by thieves..." \m/

Apr 13, 2011 5:11 AM ET #13 (permalink)

I don't mind it. Could be better.

I am much more a fan of proper tech death like Obscura and The Faceless. Anyone hear the new Obscura record? Holy dick and balls, it's good!

Apr 13, 2011 9:21 AM ET #14 (permalink)

i like it TK. didn't think i would enjoy them but that song anticosmic overload got me into them. also i like the faceless too. can't fucking wait to hear the next record that'll now have that new bassist! and i finally checked out allegaeon... great band dude.

Apr 13, 2011 2:18 PM ET #15 (permalink)

ZMA

I listened to one song from the new Obscura album, and I thought it was alright. I gotta go back and listen to it again. But The Faceless are crazy and yea I'm with n0thing, I can't wait for the new album.
I've liked Allegaeon since their first EP. They're gonna go far as a band if they keep doin' what they're doin'.

Apr 13, 2011 6:13 PM ET #16 (permalink)

How good is Allegaeon NH?
I know FAN is a fan too haha (no pun)

You guys should check out Dismal Lapse and Deeds of Flesh. If you like The Faceless then you'll love Dismal Lapse.

Apr 13, 2011 6:31 PM ET #17 (permalink)

ZMA

I know you asked n0thing this but Allegeaon is awesome Trend. Great tech band. They just released a new vid, go check it out, the post is on this site somewhere.

Apr 13, 2011 6:47 PM ET #18 (permalink)

i like them TK. they're very good, BUT not great imo, only cuz, i guess, they're just a tad bit slow. i feel like they're too mid-paced lol if they sped things up a bit, especially the drums, i would probably love them. they have 3 things that i love in one band, mdm influences, technicality and fucking awesome harsh (yet almost high pitch-y) vox. that's my fav thing about them. the vox. they're perfect for me since i loved wretched's vox but rlly wasn't that too into their music, since their tech metal didn't rlly feel like it had a basis. and allegaeon's vox sorta sounds like wretched's, and i actually like the music.

(This post was last edited on April 13, 2011 at 6:49 PM ET.)

Apr 14, 2011 1:56 AM ET #19 (permalink)

ZMA - Never spoken to you before, Hows it going dude?
Glad you liked the band. Feel free to send some my way that are fairly unknown.

NH - I feel ya man. it's definitely not for everyone.
Allegaeon has a pretty groove metal style which is weird for tech death band.

Dismal Lapse if probably one of my favourite bands dude. They are fantastic!

Apr 14, 2011 6:06 PM ET #20 (permalink)

Deeds of flesh is the shit If I'm thinking of the right band. I found them when I was looking for bands in between the sound of Brain Drill and Fleshgod Apocalypse. Never got around to getting any of their material though.

ZMA: I'm relistenign to Obscuras album for like the fifth time and it's finally starting to grow on me. I think what's been throwing me off is the fact that theres more of a black metal, dark, yet compositional atmosphere to the songs, rather than just their straight up tech-death sound they had on the last album. It helps to listen to it out loud rather than headphones(which I'm doing right now), some albums require that to really "get it", y'know? I was listening to it on headphones and I just couldnt pay it serious attention, while currently it's perfect mood music and I dont want it to stop. :P

Now Playing: Obscura- Velocity (def one of the better songs on the album, I liked it first listen actually)

(This post was last edited on April 15, 2011 at 7:52 PM ET.)

Apr 14, 2011 7:03 PM ET #21 (permalink)

Deed of Flesh reminds me of Spawn of Possesion. If you haven't heard them, they are pretty cool.

FAN, definitely listen to Dismal Lapse if you havent! Soo good man!

Apr 14, 2011 7:41 PM ET #22 (permalink)

ZMA

Trend. No we haven't yet have we? It's goin' pretty good how bout yourself? Yea Allegeaon is a great band. I don't know to much underground unknown stuff. I think the best 3 bands that not a whole lot of people know that I can offer is Daughters Of Mara. Great band but they're not around anymore, they didn't even get a proper album release it sucks. Killwhitneydead is the second. Great band and really nice guys, I've met them, and last is Blownload. Funny industrial sex band lol. See if you like any of them, all three of those bands are different.

Anyway I kinda like certain slower metal songs, or bands. Like when Chimaira and Cannibal Corpse's new albums released they really slowed their stuff down but the riffs and the music in general hit really hard. I doesn't always have to be about speed and stuff like that proves it.
I thought Dismal Lapse was good when I gave 'em a listen but I'm not really into it. I liked getting into a band as a whole, so to me that means I gotta be feelin' the name, the album covers, song titles, lyrics (sometimes), and of course the playing and vocals. The album covers I saw kinda threw me off. I don't usually like bands that have logos the way they do. But their music was good so I guess I can't complain haha.

FAN. Yea ya know that's probably it. I like black metal, but I think it's one of my least favorite genres in metal so the music has to hit me a certain way to pull me in and it didn't the first time around. I totally get what you're sayin' though. I'm definitely gonna have to go back and give it another listen.

Apr 14, 2011 9:30 PM ET #23 (permalink)

I get you man!
It's not for everyone. But if you get a kick out of these bands then hellyeah! Is all I can say.

I like Chimaira and Cannibal Corpse as well. I just think Chimaira is going to turn to shit since all the member has pretty much left.
Oh well lol

Apr 14, 2011 9:42 PM ET #24 (permalink)

Allegaeon are fucking awesome. I don't really like the nausea-inducing, ear-bleeding rapid double bass of most tech death. Like the opening track off The Faceless' Planetary Duality. Holy shit, it hurts. When it slows down, it's aweomse.

Allegaeon is perfect for me.

Apr 14, 2011 10:41 PM ET #25 (permalink)

IronBrother - Allegaeon easily have groove for a tech band.
You'll find tho, the more you listen the more the riffs sound the same.

I love the band tho. awesome performers.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Core forum