"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

mathcore? math metal?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Core >> mathcore? math metal?

Displaying 22 posts
Displaying 22 posts
Mar 28, 2011 12:44 AM ET #1 (permalink)

another confusing genre question thread
somehow this "genre" contains bands that are obvious to be included in this like the dillinger escape plan, botch and daughters, but then, converge is also in the mix, whom i thought was grindcore. but also, other bands that get this label slapped onto them are other bands like tony danza tapdance extravaganza, the arusha accord, fall of troy, cyclamen, within the ruins, and even the 3 prog metalcore groups btbam, the human abstract and protest the hero. now, once again, can someone explain this to me?? lmao

Mar 28, 2011 3:54 AM ET #2 (permalink)

First off, think of genre's not like single boxes you put bands into, but adjectives which you can use as you want as long as you understand what the word means.

I agree though it's commonly used term but it's used differently in some cases - Most genre's are like branches from a tree, but math is more like a small branch AND a color of a leaf - hope that makes sense! No-one ever wrote in stone that words had to be restricted in use :)

Despite the ambiguity in how to use the term, what it describes is very distinct: a type of technical music based around odd time signatures and polyrhythms. That's my 2 cents on the topic!

Mar 28, 2011 4:11 AM ET #3 (permalink)

No way. Mathcore is an adjective used to describe someone who is scary good at math, like hardcore calculus.

Example: "See that kid? He's totally mathcore."
"Let's make him do our homework."

Mar 28, 2011 5:37 AM ET #4 (permalink)

Within The Ruins has no math elements at all. They are just good at playing in the harmonic minor. I'd just say mathcore is grindcore with volatile time signatures, as opposed to djent, which stays in a single time signature and is based more on syncopation and down-tuning.

Mar 28, 2011 5:52 AM ET #5 (permalink)

I just "say fuck genres" and listen.

Mar 28, 2011 9:42 AM ET #6 (permalink)

once agian, thnx cynic!! lmao also rayze. i love and have come to like quite a few of the bands i listed. now, can anyone suggest some more??

Mar 28, 2011 2:02 PM ET #7 (permalink)

After the burial i would consider a math metal band. Read trents explanation of how they wrote their song "Pi-the mercury god of infinity". Insanely complex. Also the band knut is a mathcore band in the vein of dep and botch if you care, as well as psyopus, but psyopus is so abstract even i cant get into them lol.

Mar 28, 2011 2:15 PM ET #8 (permalink)

thnx FAN. u alrdy know i love atb and i know which interview ur speaking of. i'm ok with DEP, not loving them, but they're alright. i'll have to re-check out botch and daughters i guess. psyopus is... something else. literally lmao idm listening to them but, by god, they have to get on acid to create their music bro.

Mar 28, 2011 2:25 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Lmao dude ive only heard two bands more rediculous than psyopus. Naked city is jazzthrash. Hunab ku though...make no fucking sense. Its kind of a hobby of mine to find super-nonsensical bands that still qualify as music. Dep used to be one of those bands for me, but as of their last album, option paralysis, i can show them to normal people and get props. Listen to their new songs farewell mona lisa and widower and youll know what i mean if you listen to both songs all the way through. Mona lisa has a fun video too.

Mar 28, 2011 5:19 PM ET #10 (permalink)

yeah fo' cereal man lol but i want more bands kinda like that nonsensical sound, but, as u said, that still qualifies as music. recently, i discovered some hebrew(?) band called journal. kinda like ol' DEP but a little bit of middle eastern funk, i guess lmao

Mar 28, 2011 5:27 PM ET #11 (permalink)

^^^...and I'm sure they will do your homework LDB Girl...

NH - I'm sure I don't need to tell you to listen to Meshuggah...just surprised I didn't see their name get thrown around on this thread. Mathcore just sounds like some shit I want to listen to...and I do.

Cynic - I'm still trying to wrap my mind around that color of leaf shit (NICE)...certainly can't relate to the small branch, but I think that's a different thread.

Mar 28, 2011 5:51 PM ET #12 (permalink)

i like/listen to meshuggah. just randomly want more random and less sense making music for some reason. what are some bands that u like/listen to cozen that might fit into this ridiculous category?? lol

Mar 28, 2011 7:58 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Dude, I just remembered a band you might like nothinghead. Meshuggah reminded me of djent, and this band has been described as Dillinger meets djent, sooo...

Theyre called Ever Forthright. They just got a new vocalist, who just so happens to be the old vocalist to periphery, before they got the whiny bitch they have now. His clean vocals do still grate from time to time, but he uses them much better than the current periphery singer, and his scream is far better in my opinion. They dont have an album out yet I dont think, but you can check em out on youtube they have a few tracks with his vocals uploaded. I like em for the most part. A little bit of djent, a little bit of jazz and a bit of that mathcore shenanigans thrown in, though nowhere near DEP levels, but still prevalent.

Mar 28, 2011 9:02 PM ET #14 (permalink)

NH- iwrestledabearonce should qualify...but again, this is no secret. While not mathcore or metal, The Mars Volta have interesting time signatures.

Mar 28, 2011 9:07 PM ET #15 (permalink)

^hey cozen, apparently theres a new "supergroup" out called T.R.A.M., featuring at least one member, but I think two, of the Mars Volta, and Tobin Abaasi from Animals as Leaders. They'll be releasing an album in a couple months, just thought that if you listen to Volta and metal in general, this might interest you. :P

Now Playing: Ted Maul- For the Innocent (drum n' bass death metal ftw!!!!)

Mar 28, 2011 10:34 PM ET #16 (permalink)

FAN - will do...thanks for the tip. Not crazy about the band name (1st letter of their last name), but I'll let it slide if they live up to potential.

Mar 29, 2011 10:04 AM ET #17 (permalink)

Hmm, Kakuna vs Metapod? :) :)

They got a new song recently, This War We Wage.

Mar 29, 2011 1:14 PM ET #18 (permalink)

i didn't like any of the bands that have been named here so far lol and FAN... wtf?!?! naked city... hunab ku... what in god's good grace were those "sounds" lmao and ever forthright.... djazz!!

Mar 29, 2011 6:28 PM ET #19 (permalink)

^lol, I told you bruh...I collect crazy shit just to blow people's mind with lol

Mar 29, 2011 8:26 PM ET #20 (permalink)

awesome lmao

got anything like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVRNQC7MWwY (w/o the melodic-ness, basically just the first minute or so)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVCpfTtHzzo (pretty close)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds9ynx0kALE (more or less like this)

Mar 29, 2011 8:55 PM ET #21 (permalink)

Fucking christ mathcore has been busy. Back in my day it was Dillinger, Psyopus, or gtfo. Old farts like me just cant keep up.

Off the top of my head, I've got Cilice, Sikth, maybe Mnemic, See you next Tuesday, and I guess Iwrestledabearonce. You already said Tony Danza, cuz that would have been my first shoutout lol

I have one band way back in my head I found forever ago that I cant remember the name of that reminds me of the first band you posted. If I happen to come across it rummaging through my old myspace account and its 300+ bands I found back then, I'll hit you up lol But I doubt it :(

Mar 30, 2011 11:52 AM ET #22 (permalink)

we're the same age >;.>; lol thnx a bunch tho. i love iwrestledabearonce's crazy, nonsensical, chaotic sound. that's basically what i'm looking for except that i can't stand the aspect of their music that's electronic and the fact that a girl sings. she belongs in the kitchen. i'm kinda fond of sikth alrdy, but pointless to get more into a band that's not only broken up alrdy but that only did 2 albums. synt's a bit too grindcore/deathcore. and cilice's a mnemic rip-off, while mnemic is just a melodic meshuggah lol sorry for being too picky.

update: i'm enjoying DEP a bit more now. also, FAN, danza's coming to ur hometown dude. i might head up for that just for them and within the ruins tho. oceano's meh, and fuck carnifex (tho i'll check them out again).

(This post was last edited on March 31, 2011 at 10:12 AM ET.)

Reply to Discussion or Return to Core forum