"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Slayer or Venom?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> Slayer or Venom?

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 27 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 27 1 2 Last
Mar 14, 2011 12:00 AM ET #1 (permalink)

which one is best?

(This post was last edited on March 14, 2011 at 12:00 AM ET.)

Mar 14, 2011 1:05 AM ET #2 (permalink)

Slayer, by far

Mar 14, 2011 6:46 AM ET #3 (permalink)

VENOM.

Mar 14, 2011 6:54 AM ET #4 (permalink)

Which of this guy's threads is best, first second or third?

Mar 14, 2011 9:14 AM ET #5 (permalink)

Nobody yells out VENOM at random concerts. Nobody carves venom into their chest. Nobody tatooes venom across the top of their shaven head. End of discussion

Mar 15, 2011 11:12 PM ET #6 (permalink)

^Well put

Mar 22, 2011 3:04 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Slayer. Slayer used Venom as a blue print, but made it much faster and catchier.

Mar 22, 2011 3:15 PM ET #8 (permalink)

VENOOOOOM. is this thread for real? when araya learns how to sing/scream, i'll start giving slayer more credit.

Mar 23, 2011 9:49 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Weird I was thinking "is this thread for real" too. But... Slayer is way beyond Venom and always were (in fact I'm sort of surprised... my friends and I always considered Venom as a joke). I remember in the 80s a band that was completely unwilling to change with the times (Venom). Though I can't doubt Venom's early contributions to what would be black metal. The whole going on stage covered in goo was neat but only in concert. While I'm not the biggest Slayer fan in the world I can't doubt their musical influence has had lasting effect over power/death metal. They've put out a series of amazing albums and proven themselves on stage and in the recording studio throughout the years.

Mar 23, 2011 10:11 PM ET #10 (permalink)

I like them both in different ways. Bear in mind also that Venom weren't just an influence on black metal, but also thrash and no doubt death metal too. Pretty much every thrash band loved Venom and their influence can be heard in pretty much all those old thrash albums, particularly Slayer as someone's already said. Slayer are probably the better of the two when it comes to musicianship and longevity but even modern day Venom is well worth checking out live.

Mar 24, 2011 3:03 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Ummmmmmm? When Araya learns how to sing/scream? Clearly this person hasn't heard Angel Of Death

Mar 31, 2011 8:43 PM ET #12 (permalink)

I say venom they started the term black metal plus they are kick ass (slayer does to)

Apr 1, 2011 5:04 PM ET #13 (permalink)

must say veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenom

Apr 4, 2011 9:37 PM ET #14 (permalink)

slayer but only by a bit

Apr 6, 2011 11:25 AM ET #15 (permalink)

I like Venom but I gotta go with Slayer, though I've not yet been able to see either of them live. That should be a factor. Considering just live performance, then who would you say?

Apr 9, 2011 7:43 PM ET #16 (permalink)

I agree with Diamond Oz, I like them both differently. If I had to choose between seeing Slayer or Venom live though, I would pick Slayer. Kerry King is class.

May 23, 2011 7:04 PM ET #17 (permalink)

slayer

Jun 1, 2011 1:50 PM ET #18 (permalink)

Venom. Slayer's fucking amazing, but Venom has more of a sick and twisted feel to it.

Jun 1, 2011 9:33 PM ET #19 (permalink)

The answer is as obvious as the penis currently living rent free in your oral cavity.

Uh, it's Slayer.

Jun 4, 2011 7:04 AM ET #20 (permalink)

I prefere to not compare them, because they are totally different in my opinion and my hears, but if I have to choise my favourite I choise Venom, all that they do is great, and them actitude, anyway I like both, but Slayer have some stuff that I donĀ“t like.

Jun 4, 2011 9:27 AM ET #21 (permalink)

R10

Like Oz said above,Venoms influence on early thrash and black metal and most likely death metal are undeniable! The welcome to hell@Black Metal albums are records i still listen to today,theyve held up well imo. And really,listen to Kill em All and tell me you dont hear the Venom influence. Unfair to compare Venom and Slayer,one influenced the other.

Jun 4, 2011 9:45 AM ET #22 (permalink)

SLAYER! Faster, more brutal, and they've gained more fame and success.

Granted, I will always credit Venom for being the first Extreme Metal band and for fathering Thrash and Black Metal. They're always gonna be the one band everyone turns to for inspiration. Hell, they're the ones that inspired Slayer and on top of that Venom was the first big name band that let Slayer open for them (The way Slayer tells it, after the show Venom and Slayer hung out and got drunk together. Tom Araya said he had to piss and was figuring out where a bathroom was and Cronos pointed at his mouth and jokingly said "Right here!" so Araya unzipped and pissed in Cronos' mouth. Cronos then proceeded to kick Tom Araya's ass. Kerry King joked about it saying "...And that was Tom Araya's claim to fame. Pissing in Cronos' mouth.").

Honestly, I wouldn't even put them in the same category for comparison though. They're a generation apart. Its like trying to pit father against son. Yeah, the son may have grown up to be a great man but its the father who raised him to greatness.

Jun 4, 2011 6:00 PM ET #23 (permalink)

R10

Wow,Gore,i couldnt have put it better myself! Especially the "father/son" part. I have way to much respect for both bands to have to choose! Love em both!

Jun 4, 2011 8:27 PM ET #24 (permalink)

I think of Metal genres and subgenres as a form of lineage. Bands have lineages with a parallel correlation. Of course they have minor differences. The human aspect of bands (since bands are groups of humans) makes band lineage more complex than genre lineage.

Jul 10, 2011 12:20 PM ET #25 (permalink)

Sorry, but I am shocked that someone would even ask this question. It's like asking what is better getting kissed by a hot chick or getting a blow job by a hot chick. Slayer by far. Don't get me wrong I like Venom, but they are on a different planet than Slayer.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum