"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

need help with guitar

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> need help with guitar

Displaying 8 posts
Displaying 8 posts
Feb 16, 2011 6:03 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I am new to playing guitar and needed help on where to start

Feb 16, 2011 6:38 PM ET #2 (permalink)

I love the fact that the username already declares you as a metal_musician. No sarcasm, I actually love that, it's that balls and passion that keeps metal alive.

Anyway:
-Learn to play power chords - start with the simple two finger version
-Learn to read guitar Tabs - it's really easy
-Play what you love listening to - you won't want to practise if you're playing stuff you're not interested in

Start out with simple stuff - Metallica is great for the basics.

Feb 17, 2011 2:03 AM ET #3 (permalink)

Adding on to what Cynic's already covered, a chair is absolutely essential. For sitting in. When you play your guitar.

Feb 17, 2011 3:52 AM ET #4 (permalink)

A guitar as well. To play.

Feb 17, 2011 4:51 AM ET #5 (permalink)

You know what album is great for beginners? Mötley Crüe's "Shout At the Devil". No BS, it is! It's actually recommended by quite a few teachers. Play along that one, Give it a try!

And no, you don't need a chair to practice guitar ;) But TheIronMan is right for a change; you do need a guitar though.

Feb 17, 2011 10:58 AM ET #6 (permalink)

Fuck you! Haha! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT YOU DIRTY FINN!

Feb 17, 2011 1:43 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Always right?

Right on.. let's see what you say by the time you've reached 18.

Feb 17, 2011 5:17 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Shout at your mama IS a good one to start out with as Wolf mentioned,as well as anything by AC/DC.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum