"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Any Twitter followers out there?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Bugs Reports, Suggestions, and Feedback >> Any Twitter followers out there?

Displaying 16 posts
Displaying 16 posts
Feb 7, 2011 10:42 AM ET #1 (permalink)

Hey everyone. Do any of you follow our Twitter feed? CAn I get your toughts on it? Is the news too much? Why do you follow on twitter (vs RSS or on the site)? I'm just curious to get the thoughts of our readers on this. Thanks in advance.

Feb 15, 2011 10:58 AM ET #2 (permalink)

i'd actually be quite surprised if anyone here got their MU news via twitter, let alone, even HAD a twitter account... 'cept for me, but u alrdy know it was just to get more space in my "little" dropbox lol besides, there's just too much community here, so it draws one in more to come here (to the site), twitter or rss would completely disconnect us from that.

Feb 15, 2011 12:47 PM ET #3 (permalink)

^^^^^

Agreed with NH about being "surprised if anyone here got their MU news via twitter".

In my opinion, Twitter is 100% conformist bullshit. Everybody I know often expresses how much they "adore following people". No matter who you "follow" (Eg; Metal Hammer or Scott Ian) it's still another facsination with the mainstream media and modern society. Hardly "Metal".

Used to be on Facebook but got rid of that for the same reason. Hate how nobody can shut up about it. Don't even get me started on Myspace (I know MS made awareness of unknown or small-time bands, pity that most of them were considered "emo").

Forgive me, I'm more of a non-conformist. I know even being on any forum on the internet is probablly not what a non-conformist would do. But I'm proud to be more non-conformist than most people I know.

\m/ -- \m/

Feb 16, 2011 4:08 AM ET #4 (permalink)

To me, "non-conformism" in its typical sense is stupid and non-conformists tend to be tools/douchebags (not saying you are, though you probably are :P).

Non-conformism is just doing whatever the fuck you want for me.

Feb 16, 2011 8:30 AM ET #5 (permalink)

@TIM: Agreed, I am a tool and a douchebag (my name suggets all that I am) =-D

A typical "conformist" would be someone who bought whatever toy or gizmo was the "latest thing" in school. I never bought into any fad, never had a "stylish" hairstyle and never worn any "fashonable" clothes. Also a conformist would buy say, an item of clothing simply because it is popular. A non-comformist would buy an item of clothing regardless of it's popularity. They do things how they "feel". Yet many wannabe-non comformists also say stuff like that.

I've always been proud to be different. The fact that I am one of very few people I know who listens to metal (at least the most) is something I'm proud about. Not that I ever started listening to metal purely because it was "different" or "unpopular" (at least with the people around me), but because I thought it was pure fuckin' awesome.

\m/ -- \m/

Feb 16, 2011 11:28 AM ET #6 (permalink)

Well, there's a couple thousand followers, so I thought I'd ask. I'm curious as to what people use it for, if it's too much news in our twitter stream, etc. By contrast, we have 31k Facebook fans...

I use RSS for 99% of the sites I follow, but I click through to the articles I like to read and sometimes comment. I only visit about 2-3 sites directly and regularly) without coming to them from their feeds). Different people use the services for different things.

As for conformist/nonconfirmist: people use technology for different things and in different ways. I've never gotten into twitter, but that's probably because I'm not a big mobile user. I love facebook for many different reasons, however, and the fact that "everyone" is using it is what makes it useful. Fragmented and small time social networks are pointless, unless a very specific demographic is on there that makes it useful, much like MySpace had (and still does to a large extent) the music folks on there despite it sucking.

(This post was last edited on February 16, 2011 at 11:33 AM ET.)

Feb 16, 2011 11:33 AM ET #7 (permalink)

In relation to all this conformist/non-conformist stuff: meh.

Twitter can actually be pretty handy, but I only check it once or twice a week. I actually only follow a couple of my friends on it, and the rest are musicians, political figures, directors, comedians, etc. It's a good way to find when bands are touring or recording, pretty much immediately, and I also like getting links to interviews or other articles of several different topics from everyone I follow. The way I see it, Twitter is just another tool for learning and getting information, even if many just use it to tell everyone about the nap they took and follow vapid reality TV stars.

I had forgotten MU had an account, and as NH said, I don't really need to follow it, as I just come directly to the site almost every day anyway. I did "like" the site on Facebook though.

Feb 16, 2011 2:19 PM ET #8 (permalink)

^^Meh: That's just what a conformist would say! :P

There are a few people I could probably be bothered to follow on Twitter... but really, I don't see how it would be that interesting. I want metal news not news on what David Lynch had for breakfast.

Feb 16, 2011 4:13 PM ET #9 (permalink)

(Meh?)

That's exactly why I don't bother with it. If I wanted to find out about bands or musicians and tour dates I'd go elsewhere on the net.

I actually used to enjoy FB, but when more and more people found it out, it began to become tiring. Plus everybody I knew never talked to me (no excuse there) and they typed pretty much the same shit they do on twitter. Sucks even more now that on television they advertise products for you to "like". Ruins things for me.

MSN is probablly the best by far and the only thing that I use. I know that was another "fad" at one point, but I just see it as a mailing service. A service can become a conformist hotspot, though.

Feb 16, 2011 4:25 PM ET #10 (permalink)

As I said, links. Usually the 140-character limit updates don't mean much to me either. If a unique little flower such as yourself doesn't want to use it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But calling it "100% conformist bullshit" is just stubborn and ignorant. The cool thing about the internet is the variety of platforms for any individual to use as he or she pleases.

Feb 16, 2011 5:20 PM ET #11 (permalink)

@Natsquatch: I agree about sites being useful and helpful man, but you're forgetting that I AM just stubborn and ignorant. The fact that every fuckin' annoying, loud, materialistic person I know (eg the people I go to college/work with) never shuts up about twitter and the fact that to me it resembles basically another version of facebook is enough for me to call it bullshit. Even if I was on twitter, no-one would follow me and I'd just end up getting bored with it like I did with FB.

A true non-comformist does not care what those around themselves think - FB and twitter are full of people typing BULLSHIT things they "think" and "like". And sadly, loads of people follow and comment on what people "think". Even though I value friendship, I do not give a fuck about what people are thinking or doing 24/7. It's just not for me. ;-)

Peace.

EDIT: Agreed that the entire net is full of people's opinions and interests but I'm pleased that I can avoid all them. I'm on this site because I enjoy to discuss bands I like, but on Facebook (and twitter, myspace etc) everybody posted things that bored the shit out of me. I hated it so much that I left. I don't care what my "friends" think anyway.

(This post was last edited on February 16, 2011 at 8:21 PM ET.)

Feb 16, 2011 6:43 PM ET #12 (permalink)

"FB and twitter are full of people typing things they "think" and "like"."

Whereas you're typing about what you think and dislike here. Let me summate this:

Conformism is a scale. Everyone conforms to social aspects of being human (use a knife and fork to eat?), so it's not a type of person you can draw a circle around. Non-conformist is a misnomer then (what TIM hinted at). You would be better of saying "I attempt in all major aspects of my life not to conform to social norms" or something... there no more silly discussion needed.

Feb 16, 2011 8:17 PM ET #13 (permalink)

@Cynic: That I know.

Yes, FB and Twitter are full of people posting their opinions, but FB and twitter are full of people's opinions that do not interest me in the slightest. Yeah, we're all posting opinions here, but these actually interest me - they're associated with good music, which is why I'm on this site. When I was on FB absolutely nobody's opinions interested me. I hated it. The same is with twitter - boring details and opinons of boring people. So what if bands or musicians or people I may find to be even a slight bit interesting are on FB or twitter? It doesn't mean I want to know everything about them or everything that they're doing. I'm not a "follower".

I know that everyone conforms to something, no-one is really all too "unique". But with me I do not conform to most "popular" things - eg fads, fashion and websites such as FB and twitter no matter how "useful" they all are. It's all garbage in my eyes, call me ignorant or stupid or even racist, whatever. I DO give things a chance, if a pal says "listen to this band", i will do, even if they're popular or not. Or "watch this show", I most probablly will do. But the thing is I've been checking things out that friends have recommended me for years, and the stuff people talk about (i.e. the poipular stuff) always disapoints me. Always. So sometimes I just give up and stick with the stuff I like only. I'm glad to be someone on the outside, even if it is viewed as "stupid" or "ignorant". I don't watch the popular shows or listen to the popular bands because they suck, regardless of the popularity. Aerosmith and Metallica are "popular" with most people I know, I still listen to them.

Like I wrote in the 3rd comment on this page "I'm more of a non-conformist" which emplies that I'm NOT an actual 100% non-conformist (I eat foods other people eat, watch some TV, hell even listen to the same MUSIC and BANDS as some people, etc...), but the fact that I'm CLOSER to one than most people in certain circles, especially of all the people I know, makes me one, in comparison at least. Or, I'm more of an "outsider".

I can't see anything wrong with not being "normal". I've never felt like I "fit in", I've never liked joining in. I've often been a loner in life. I don't care if I die a loner. Probablly will, too.

I deserved this, I've been a troll. La la la la la la.
End of.

(This post was last edited on February 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM ET.)

Feb 17, 2011 9:52 AM ET #14 (permalink)

DB: wow those are actually some pretty big numbers there DB with the twitter followers and fb likes. that's awesome. soon enough MU will be the hotspot for metal bands to do exclusives. all the more reason for more contests! at least for MU merch =\ rlly want an MU hat or t-shirt. even a wristband would be cool.

on the twitter topic: twitter is for telling everyone how big the log u just dumped was, while fb is for a picture of it, unfortunately. but at least, from what i've heard, twitter does say the tour dates first, but as they are announced, which takes awhile, while on fb, it just displays the entire tour with all the stops, much more convenient. and yeah, the stupid character limit on twitter is just fucking retarded, but w/e, i alrdy gave in to even creating a fb and that's more than enough for me.

fb: i don't even rlly talk to ppl nor do i add ppl much. usually ppl add me cuz i guess they recognize me. typically i add ppl cuz i do alrdy talk to them or i want to talk to them more (ex. MU members). but i do have an iphone, so i get on fb quite a bit, BUT i go straight to the option of displaying updates ONLY from my music likes. therefore, i just see what i actually care about, albums, interviews, songs, and concerts/shows/tour dates. i don't even look at my own gf's pg nor my good friends'. if i wanna know what they're up to, i just call/txt them.

(un)conformist crap: i find it real fucking stupidly retarded, and makes u seem, as nats said, "stubborn and ignorant", for ppl to just hate/dislike something just cuz it's become/is popular (ex's. typical metalhead elitists, and "kvlt" black metalheads) and viceversa too. liking/doing something just cuz everyone else does is just as dumb and means that u are insecure and have no sense of self and individualism. ALOTTA that HERE in miami of course, but usually, they're just ignorant and/or just don't know about music nor care about getting more into it and finding something better. but just hating/disliking something cuz everybody does/likes it just makes u a dumb douchebag and basically an attention whore ("HEY! look at me! i'm different than u! and ur all the same! haha!!"), which i kinda was most of middle skool and some of high skool i guess, but to an extent. and i've learned and matured obviously, and see just how retarded that way of thinking/being/acting rlly is.

Feb 17, 2011 10:06 AM ET #15 (permalink)

I find Facebook to be best for sharing or getting opinions/recommendations on things. I post some statuses on and off, but usually share links and videos to stuff I find interesting or funny and follow stuff that others I know have shared. I share metal stuff even though my family and classmates and coworkers don't care about it and I share geek/tech stuff even though the metalheads won't care for it. It's a good way to be in touch with a lot of people and you don't have to join every conversation.

Feb 17, 2011 10:24 AM ET #16 (permalink)

^^^ exactly DB. i enjoy ur status about movies (like ur posts from Netflix). we tend to like the same sci fi/superhero films. and i love branded's random ass but funny as fuck videos too lmao

Reply to Discussion or Return to Bugs Reports, Suggestions, and Feedback forum