"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

New big 4

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> New big 4

Displaying 19 posts
Displaying 19 posts
Feb 6, 2011 5:37 PM ET #1 (permalink)

If there is gonna be a new big 4 made out of the new thrash bands who would be in it. I say
Municipal waste would take metallica's spot
warbringer would take megadeth's spot
sss would take anthrax's spot
and toxic holocaust would take slayer's spot
(and no none of these bands are better than the originals)

Feb 6, 2011 6:19 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Well Violator would definitely be Sepultura!

Feb 6, 2011 8:03 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Nice list. I def. agree with Cynic on Violator/Sepultura. Only things i would change is Evile taking Metallica's spot and Warbeast taking Anthrax's spot. MW is a little too goofy to be the next Metallica and both SSS and MW are a more Crossover Thrash/Punk than straight up Thrash.

Feb 6, 2011 8:09 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Yeah I'd agree that Evile would have to be the new Metallica, Lazarus A.D. replaces Megadeth, Fueled By Fire takes Anthrax and no new thrash band can or ever will be worthy to replace Slayer.

Warbringer would be more of a Kreator if anything, I think

Municipal Waste is the new Nuclear Assault

Feb 6, 2011 8:43 PM ET #5 (permalink)

yeah I like your guys list better I just drew a blank when I was thinking of new thrash bands

Feb 6, 2011 8:53 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Warbeast are awesome. Though in a way they're old heads, not really a bunch of young kids doing the thrash thing if you know what I mean.

I don't think he's talking about sound so much anyway SpagMo - you could look at it as in personality, i.e. Metallica were the first to popularize the movement, Megadeth are the rivals etc.

Feb 7, 2011 3:06 AM ET #7 (permalink)

LAZARUS AD!!!!!

That's all I have to say, nothing useful.

Feb 7, 2011 7:18 AM ET #8 (permalink)

I don't think there really can be a new Big Four because thrash was new back in the 80s, so bands like Metallica and Slayer were really breaking down barriers. Alot of the younger thrash bands are decent and some stand out more than others, but they've had the blueprint to work with for around 30 years now, so while they might become thrash greats somewhere down the line, they'll never be as revered as the Big Four.

Feb 7, 2011 3:58 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Damn Oz, took the words right out of my mouth. Less typing for me then, haha.

Feb 9, 2011 9:01 AM ET #10 (permalink)

naw dude's, this is how it should be! Municipal waste would take anthrax's spot, cause both of em are goofy!
violater would take megadeth's spot, cause they both talk about nukes and stuff.
Evile would take over metallica
and toxic holocaust would take over slayer cause of the satanic themes and the fastness of guitars

Feb 11, 2011 1:13 AM ET #11 (permalink)

Havok
Warbringer
Lazarus A.D
Bonded By Blood

Feb 11, 2011 8:50 AM ET #12 (permalink)

Municipal Waste
Evile
Warbringer
Lazarus A.D.

Can think of a few more that could replace the above. May edit this sometime...

No band can replace Slayer.

Feb 12, 2011 12:20 AM ET #13 (permalink)

Evile
Violator
Skeletonwitch
Toxic Holocaust

(This post was last edited on March 9, 2011 at 5:10 PM ET.)

Feb 14, 2011 4:45 AM ET #14 (permalink)

i think
Warbringer
Violator
Fueled By Fire
Toxic Holocaust and if i had to choose a fifth i would say Municipal Waste or Maybe Gama Bomb

Feb 14, 2011 8:43 PM ET #15 (permalink)

I would define a new big four by bands doing something either new and interesting or just so excellently that it sets them apart. i love warbringer and lazarus ad, but theyre basically just well oiled modernized and updated versions of quality 80s thrash bands that were unfairly ignored in the wake of the big four. Unless they do something uber important besides just being generally awesome, i cant hold them in that same light as the big boys. Although the song total war is fucking boss.

Feb 14, 2011 9:01 PM ET #16 (permalink)

Toxic holocaust and skeletonwitch are the only thrashers right now that i hold to the big four standard. Toxic has a sound all their own and just plain kick ass. The witch tho...i know it sounds like blasphemy, but slayer needs to bring these guys on tour and pass the damn torch. Skeletonwitch is so fuckin metal they shit nails. :O other than that, gama bomb has potential as of their last album (im sorry but their early shit sounds like typical generic rethrash) Tales from the Grave in Space i think is the title and it rocks hard and its silly fun besides. I hope they keep their new sound going.

Feb 14, 2011 10:00 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Saw Gama Bomb supporting Overkill and Exodus a few years ago and wasn't impressed but in all fairness their sound was awful. Saw them again last year supporting Sepultura and GB were blown away by the other support band, Seregon, who are one of the few new thrash bands I'd recommend.

Feb 14, 2011 10:19 PM ET #18 (permalink)

^see? I saw them this year opening for overkill and nothing from their back catalog impressed me in the least either. I just saw potential in their newer material. They finally got their hands on their own sound i think, when theyve been riding on that same unoriginal train with bonded by blood(who were also on the tour, ugh) for all their prior work. I heard their last album and then figured they must have always had this awesome sound...but i was terribly wrong lol Which is why i was so tentative mentioning them in the first place, knowing that most people heard the same stuff i didnt like and either agreed or dont mind boring rethrash. Oz you must tell what songs by seregon to check out, you rant about them all the time so they must be good, but i cant find an album anywhere, legally or illegally.

Feb 15, 2011 6:24 AM ET #19 (permalink)

I think if you go to their website you can download a free three track EP. http://www.seregon.co.uk/

In the meantime, here's a couple of their songs on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO0TiXxx-w8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAEZjr8i4eY&feature=related

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum