"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Albums that you think should be reissued.

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> Albums that you think should be reissued.

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 27 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 27 1 2 Last
Feb 2, 2011 5:37 PM ET #1 (permalink)

As the title suggests, you tell us what albums you would like to be reissued in today's age. I personally would love to see Pantera's first four albums rise from the ashes. They didn't sell well, but this is because Pantera was an underground phenomenon. Plenty of Pantera fans today would buy CDs of their Glam days.

Feb 2, 2011 10:18 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Perhaps a best-of from those albums would be a neat idea as well. I would buy 1 album of that old material, but not 4...unless they put them in a box set and priced it very cheap.

I'd love to see the early Slayer albums remastered, or perhaps even re-recorded. I like how that's turned out for a number of bands who have done that. But the production is so bad on pretty much South of Heaven back that I don't enjoy it as much as I could. The songs in the war chest or whatever sound much better though.

Feb 3, 2011 3:47 AM ET #3 (permalink)

It's a fine line to walk - depends on how your vocalist has stood the test of time I think. Exodus' "Bonded By Blood" remake was a total disaster to me, slow down the tracks? You've got to be kidding. On the other hand Manowar just re-recorded their "Battle Hymns" album and wow, I am blown away!! Great decision, and Eric Adams vocals are still perfect after all that time. Some records, half the charm is in the lo-fi production.

Feb 3, 2011 9:26 AM ET #4 (permalink)

i would love for after the burial to re-issue their 1st album "forging a future self" like how they did with their 2nd album "rareform" with their current vocalist, anthony. the vox on that album just make me cringe a bit, while the music is also pretty lo-fi prod.

Feb 3, 2011 11:40 AM ET #5 (permalink)

Nocturnus's Thresholds was a phenomenal album that needs to be reissued. Although alot of black metal fans will probably disagree, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk from Emperor needs to be re-issued. Wonderful arrangements that suffer from terrible production.

Feb 3, 2011 12:53 PM ET #6 (permalink)

I'd love to hear the first two Onslaught albums remastered. They're both fantastic albums but they sound like demos.

Feb 4, 2011 4:20 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Manilla Road's catalog through The Circus Maximus

Feb 4, 2011 7:35 PM ET #8 (permalink)

mortification-envision evangeline
metallica-ride the lightning
testament-practice what you preach

Feb 5, 2011 1:19 AM ET #9 (permalink)

Ha yeah - some of Manilla Road's catalog there's a charm to the raspy production, other albums need a facelift. Amazing band either way! One of the few metal bands ever to be going on for decades (over 30 years now!) and still producing legitimate classics.

Feb 5, 2011 6:23 PM ET #10 (permalink)

I would like to see some bathory albums reissued

Mar 1, 2011 10:22 AM ET #11 (permalink)

I would like to see all the classic albums re-issued without the cheesy "remastering" that consists of compressing them and turning up the volume.

Specifically, early Necrovore.

Mar 1, 2011 5:53 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Amen to that, I can just imagine that demo all sparkly and squashed to hell.

Mar 1, 2011 8:21 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Theres at least one suffocation album whose name eludes me that needs to be spruced up. Same with some morbid angel material. Its hard for me to appreciate their classic material when it sounds like shit because of production. And even though i know it will never happen, all of the best cannibal corpse stuff needs a corpsegrinder update. I cant even listen to hammer smashed faces because i hate chris barnes' vocals so much. :p

Jun 1, 2011 7:24 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Sacrifice - Torment in Fire and Forward to Termination

Jun 4, 2011 10:40 AM ET #15 (permalink)

Where would I even start? Wait I know!

Black Death's first-and only-album. The first all-black metal band (by black I obviously mean African-American, not black metal). They started around the same time as Black Sabbath and from what I heard from the stream, it was heavy and they should've been bigger than they got. But the label they were on fucked them out of royalties and the fame they deserved. Had it not been for their shitty label, I'm very sure they'd have gone on to become one of the big names in Heavy Metal. I'd kill for that album, I can't even find a torrent or anything!

Jun 4, 2011 12:20 PM ET #16 (permalink)

^^That album was issued on Auburn Records out of North Olmsted, Ohio. I used to own it. Now I can only find one video of it on Youtube.

I would love to see the first couple of Artillery albums re-released.

Jun 4, 2011 2:18 PM ET #17 (permalink)

R10

I would love to see Death Angels first two albums "Ultra Violence and Frolic re released. Had them on cassette a million years ago,got chewed up in the 88 Mustang. Classics they were! Saw Death Angel last summer with Soilwork,and spoke briefly with the singer and he told me he is trying to get them re released. I dont think they own the masters

Jun 8, 2011 12:13 AM ET #18 (permalink)

Those 2 Death Angel albums got alot of play here R10. I currently do not have any of their stuff on file. I havent playd those albums since they came out, somehow lost my tapes. I used to play Frolic regularly at night on the ol yellow walkman while i went to bed.

Jun 19, 2011 9:23 AM ET #19 (permalink)

It's a cool topic but does anyone buy CD's or pay for music anymore anyways? I will only buy a CD to support my favorite bands or local bands who need the money and exposure.

Anyways, Winters Bane - Heart of a Killer

Jul 10, 2011 11:56 AM ET #20 (permalink)

A re-ssue of Slayer's first 4 (3 and an EP) would be fucking killer!!!!!!! If I had to pick just one, it would be Reign In Blood. Still the greatest metal album ever!!!

Jul 13, 2011 7:35 PM ET #21 (permalink)

I would love to see a remastering and reissuing of Master of Puppets, sort of like megadeth's greatest hits: back to the start. hearing a full remastering of Master of Puppets would be amazing. Orion too.

Jul 13, 2011 7:46 PM ET #22 (permalink)

Why would you want a remastered version of Master of Puppets? What's wrong with the mastering on it currently? Jesus I couldn't think of anything worse than a 'Death Magnetic-ized' MoP.

Jul 18, 2011 12:27 AM ET #23 (permalink)

I could see remastering the earlier Metallica releases (even Justice, which was pretty muddy), but I wouldn't trust them to get it right now since both St. Anger and Death Magnetic has severe production issues... The older ones hold up fairly well actually, but are just a little tinny for me still. But it's fitting for the era and not bad by any means (like the early Slayer albums that turned me off).

Jul 18, 2011 1:09 AM ET #24 (permalink)

Since wurzel from motorhead just passed away i think it would be awesome to hear a remastered version of bastards...something about old classic metal records that stood the test of time...I like remasters and better recording with todays technology, but slayer, venom, motorhead, maiden and sabbath really did trap lightning in a bottle and its pretty much impossible...there is only one mona lisa and one master of puppets for a reason....i think my favorite remaster is dimmu borgirs stormblast album....hails and horns to everybody

Jul 18, 2011 4:17 PM ET #25 (permalink)

Stormblast was a re-recording, not just a remaster, right? I really liked it too though.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum