"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Metal Etiquette

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Metal Etiquette

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 46 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 46 1 2 Last
Aug 11, 2009 10:14 PM ET #1 (permalink)

We've all been to shows and there's always a select few that do something stupid and very un-metal (Be it in the pits, or even when you're waiting in line to get into a show). And even in daily life, you'll bump into a hipster/poseur/trend-follower/scene kid of some sort who is failing, in one way or another, in an attempt to be what we are.

If anyone has any thoughts to add to it, like a rule of thumb or something of that nature, please, add it here for any tools that are possibly reading this. Such as:

NO HARDCORE DANCING, OR ANY OTHER LAME KARATE MOVES. YOU JUST LOOK STUPID.

Aug 11, 2009 10:31 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Brush your teeth.

...No, seriously.

Aug 11, 2009 11:38 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Don't take anything that happens in the pit personal!

Aug 11, 2009 11:45 PM ET #4 (permalink)

psythe, you just reminded me of something else:

WEAR DEODORANT!
--If I'm in a pit, I don't want to smell pits!

Saint Iggy, I second that one.

(This post was last edited on August 11, 2009 at 11:53 PM ET.)

Aug 12, 2009 10:46 AM ET #5 (permalink)

Stay the fuck away from the ladies unless they're in the pit! I can't tell you how many times i've busted my knuckeles on some dumb ass that fly's out of the pit completely out of control and knocks my lady down. And no, she doesn't hang out on the edge of the pit where she would be obviously in the line of fire. Ruins my entire fucking evening.

(This post was last edited on August 12, 2009 at 11:03 AM ET.)

Aug 12, 2009 12:25 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Nice points everyone. I have two,

1. Don't stand near the front of the pit if you're holding beer. That's fucking moronic, stand at the back and drink it before you come in. I can't stand people who spill beer over everyone/cry about having there beer spilled/make people hold back in moshing.

2. Pick someone up if they go down, people are usually great with this and it's the no. 1 thing that completes the perfect circle of aggression and comradery/community.

Aug 12, 2009 12:33 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Yes, please pick up someone if they fall in a pit! I fell once and no one helped me up, and I ended up breaking several bones from getting trampled. So, please help people who get knocked down.

Aug 12, 2009 12:33 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Don't be a cunt.

Aug 12, 2009 2:11 PM ET #9 (permalink)

If you don't mosh, like me, don't go to the front. You will undoubtedly be pounded and just get pissed off. Stay to the rear where you don't have to worry about a wave of people, but you can still rock out.

Aug 12, 2009 2:44 PM ET #10 (permalink)

AP1: Lol. You like to stay in the rear.

Aug 12, 2009 3:02 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Hip deep in that shit.

Aug 12, 2009 6:17 PM ET #12 (permalink)

i hate moshing, but i love the front, cause you feel the energy of the crowd without dealing with the assholes in the pit (by me at nearly every metal show there's at least one or two people who hardcore dance).

Aug 12, 2009 6:46 PM ET #13 (permalink)

"1. Don't stand near the front of the pit if you're holding beer. That's fucking moronic, stand at the back and drink it before you come in. I can't stand people who spill beer over everyone/cry about having there beer spilled/make people hold back in moshing."

YES. This absolutely enrages me. What makes it worse is that although I want to tell these meatheads that they're putting themselves in a situation to get their shit spilled, I don't because they could probably beat me up.

Aug 12, 2009 8:18 PM ET #14 (permalink)

When the stage dives start DON'T FUCKING MOVE.
If you don't want people landing on you stay away from the front.
Push pits at metal shows and hardcore dancing goes at hardcore shows, this isn't rocket science.
Help people who fall.

FUCK SHIT UUUUUUP! (Lol)

Aug 12, 2009 11:11 PM ET #15 (permalink)

what about those assholes who pick smaller people up and "throw" them... yes i've seen it.

Aug 13, 2009 5:40 AM ET #16 (permalink)

Z: I have never seen anyone throw someone in a pit before...

Here's another one (Some of you kiddies already know this): IF A KID TAPS YOUR SHOULDER AND POINTS UPWARD, THAT IS THE UNIVERSAL SIGN FOR "PICK ME UP SO I CAN CROWD SURF TO THE FRONT..." DON'T DO IT.

I hate when I'm in a crowd, and then some asshole falls on my head. I mean yeah, if I see you coming, I'll help you. But seriously, someone falls on me and I end up with a concussion or I just get the sense knocked out of me because I'm not expecting someone to be surfing behind me. This isn't the worst thing in the world mind you, but still...

Aug 13, 2009 8:21 AM ET #17 (permalink)

Hmmm...Do NOT FUCKING throw shit into the crowd...Countless times I've been hit with shoes, bottles, and even once a pizza box filled with mud ( I kid you not ).

Aug 13, 2009 2:47 PM ET #18 (permalink)

^^^Sorry about that Psycho, but that wasn't mud in the pizza box. lol.

Aug 13, 2009 3:10 PM ET #19 (permalink)

yeah well even worse, i've seen people throw each other and crazy shit in more empty pits. it's pretty disturbing here which is why i don't mosh anymore (i did more in HS). everytime i think about it and stand around where moshing would take place some asshole or bitch "accidentally" hits me. i look around and everyone is moshing and this crazy person is hardcore dancing. the problem is that the hardcore people around here also love metal. and that half the metal bands are more metalcore bands. so you got these thrash or death metal bands, metalcore, and hardcore bands all on the same bill. so yeah... i just stay away from pits in this area.

Aug 13, 2009 3:10 PM ET #20 (permalink)

Hey Blind, Goatwhore in Tuscon on 3 Sept. at The Rock.

Aug 13, 2009 3:19 PM ET #21 (permalink)

LOL. I do assure you it was mud :P I was at Mayhem last summer in Toronto and the ground was wet from when it rained the night before. I saw some guy from across the field with a pizza box which caught my attention more than Dragonforce did.

My buddy next to me tells me "That guy with the pizza box just fulled it up with mud" I chuckled and said imagine if he threw it like a frisbee and it hit someone.

Well that someone was me ( jesus christ )

That's my funny little ironic story..but in all honesty, throwing bottles or any other object of the sort into a full crowd of people is pretty damn stupid. I've seen guys get decked with Beer bottles, rocks...and that shit isn't cool. You go to a show to enjoy the music not leave with a bloody face or concussion ( depends if you mosh or not thats entirely up to you lol )

Which brings me to ask you guys this...what is the weirdest thing you've seen chucked into a crowd or seen someone hit with?

Aug 13, 2009 3:28 PM ET #22 (permalink)

Psycho: I did it for the lol value. I never throw shit at shows. Poeple here like to light their shirts on fire and throw them into the crowds so I definately agree with your philosophy.

AP1: I know, with Obituary, Krisiun, The Berserker and Warbringer none the less. I gotta make that show happen. Sucks it's at the Rock though. Crappy little dive bar. But it seems like that's where everybody's playing now. Including Blind Greed.

(This post was last edited on August 13, 2009 at 3:36 PM ET.)

Aug 14, 2009 4:17 AM ET #23 (permalink)

When going to a gig please have your shit in order in line. I hate when some bitch has to bring a suit case (by that I mean one of those big purses) to the show, and it takes the security of the venue 20, or 30 minutes to riffle through her shit to clear her. I also think that my fellow sisters need just leave the purse at home, or in the car. A purse at a show is nothing but a ball and chain the entire night anyways. Same thing with you men; if you are carrying stuff in your pockets have everything out so that all they have to do is look at what you got and give you your pat down. This makes getting into the show much easier, and the chances of people missing a band much less. Thank you!

Aug 14, 2009 2:55 PM ET #24 (permalink)

lol i have a friend who is a sweaty sweaty bastard lol. and he loves to mosh, i mean the whole entire show. half way through he is covered in sweat as if he was just swimming forever! no one ever wants to go in the pit with him cause they cant go in and come out not covered in his sweat. so overall if ur sweating that badly, atleast take a break. noone wants ur sweaty goodness all over them lol

Aug 14, 2009 4:54 PM ET #25 (permalink)

^^^Especially if you're a HAIRY sweaty bastard! lol.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum