"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

american tele....we have hit rock bottom?

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> american tele....we have hit rock bottom?

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 140 1 2 3 ... 5 6 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 140 1 2 3 ... 5 6 Last
Jan 17, 2011 10:39 PM ET #1 (permalink)

RTB

maybe its just me, but doesnt it seem there are a shitload of bad television shows here in the states? bad in a sense of writting, fake reality shows ( reality tv like but because the cameras are there lets ham it up and be overdramatic in a reality like setting) and not very good acting....idk if this is a problem in europe, asia or down under but here in the good ol US of A, its about as bad as its ever been....
thoughts on this would be appreciated as well as a short list of bad bad bad television as well as decent shows, and if television here in the states have declined significantly....thanks
worst show jersey shore
best show deadliest catch

Jan 18, 2011 7:56 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Best show: Jersey Shore
worst show: Jersey shore

they are one and the same. It is great because of how terrible it is.

Jan 20, 2011 5:25 AM ET #3 (permalink)

Jersey Shore is so bad it makes me suicidal. It depresses me to know there are actually people as stupid as that.

And just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, there's that fucking show Shot at love with Tila Tequila (or whatever that bimbo's name is). I mean... ???? What kind of person would ever take part in something like that, and what kind of person would have a show like that in a first place?? HOW LOW CAN YOU GO???

Cant wait for the reality tv crap to go away. I also realise that day may never come...

MTV... when Hip Hop took over in the 90s, I thought MTV couldn't get any worse.

I was wrong.

Jan 20, 2011 6:38 AM ET #4 (permalink)

I've never seen either of those shows, nor do I want to.

But I wouldn't mind at a crack at banging Tequila.

Jan 20, 2011 10:08 AM ET #5 (permalink)

classy iron man.

fucking hate american tv man. again, i'm stuck here in miami, where MTV is considered gold >;.>; and i rlly don't understand why it's still called MTV, i mean, MUSIC television?? 0.o that's just got to be illegal somewhere cuz that's like false/deceptive advertisement or something. it hasn't had any actual music in yr.'s. and yet fuse (w/e it's called now, idk cuz i haven't had that channel in a while) plays almost NOTHING BUT music non-stop, and yet they've changed their name more than p. diddy (that was his name last i know). i don't rlly watch much tv and even if i do it's netflix lol but i usually watch GOOD drama stuff (the event was awesome but kinda like Lost meets 24, criminal minds is badass, and u can't go wrong with House), mostly sci fi cuz i'm a nerd (heroes, sarah connor chronicles, recently watching being human), crude-humored cartoons of course (simpsons, fam guy, archer), and rlly stupid comedies cuz i fucking love that shit (the league, it's always sunny in philadelphia, and british comedy the IT crowd).

Jan 20, 2011 10:36 AM ET #6 (permalink)

NH - funny you should mention it because they are actually removing the Music Television from their logo now.

TV sucks. There is a reality show for everything and every one now. All it takes is for someone to want to film it. I mean, it's good if you find something you like. Like cooking - there are 20 different reality shows now. But I think it's crowding out the good shows, that require real actors and a larger budget as a result.

Jan 20, 2011 1:51 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Has anyone watched The Walking Dead on AMC? Great show, and Season 2 is starting really soon.

Jan 20, 2011 5:12 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Walking Dead was fuckin' awesome AP! I caught every episode

I try to stick to the classics because new tv has indeed hit rock bottom.

I am always at least five years behind when it comes to television, with Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy being the only recent shows I caught in their original broadcasts. In addition Last year I discovered Always Sunny in Philly so between those three I am good for at least two more years

As far as ummm"reality" tv, I have been boycotting that shit since the Real World came out in '92. I would rather read a book about Rosie O'Donnels menstrual stained panties than watch 99% of the reality shows on tv.

Best shows- Sons of Anarchy, Walking Dead, Always Sunny in Philadelphia maybe Dexter
Worst shows- I dunno, everything else?

(This post was last edited on January 20, 2011 at 5:13 PM ET.)

Jan 20, 2011 5:18 PM ET #9 (permalink)

AP1 - I also love some Walking Dead...but heard that season 2 doesn't start until Halloween, just like season 1.
FAN - your post about Jersey Shore is right on...nicely done.

I actually like Intervention for reality TV...mostly only keep up with House and Fringe otherwise.

Jan 21, 2011 12:03 AM ET #10 (permalink)

I'm streaming the pilot of The Walking Dead, heard so many good things about it.

Jan 21, 2011 10:56 AM ET #11 (permalink)

bruno: sons of anarchy is badass man. pretty fucking crazy. reminds me of other FX dramas like nip/tuck and rescue me.

cozen: i couldn't get into fringe. i didn't even wanna give it a chance cuz i read that it had to do with parallel universes. no show or movie has ever handled other universes good. maybe the jet lee film, the one.

THE WALKING DEAD started great, got awesome, but then just got kinda mid-paced to the point that nothing rlly happens. i guess i just got so into it cuz of so much happening each episode, that the last 3 that were just about basically ending the season, seemed rlly boring to me.

but then THE EVENT was the opposite. it was almost TOO exciting and had TOO much going on. shows that have multiple protagonists/perspectives are confusing and rlly rely too heavily on "twists" just to bring them all together (ex. heroes). but the event did it fine up until the last episode. since each episode had enough twists and turns that literally gave u a stroke at the end of each episode, that by the last episode (of course they went ALL out with it) just made u go blind from all the unnecessary twists.

like i said, i'm a sci fi geek so when i find a show (or movie) that's good enough to keep me entertained, i tend to get vry picky (which is why i get confused at times, NOT because i'm slow or something, i just pay TOO much attention to details). especially with the logic...

like with THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES. i'm a big terminator fan. especially of the first 2 films. so watching the show just made me almost cry FROM the overthinking of the shit they allowed to occur on that show. it literally got to the point that there were just TOO many terminators sent back ALONG with resistance fighters too. but at least i was KINDA relieved with one quote during a vry frustratingly confusing episode between 2 resistance fighters (NOT word-for-word) "i've done so much here. changed so much. maybe we were both sent back from the future. probably we were sent back from different futures." makes perfect sense since he had no clue as to wtf the other one was talking about something that had happen to him.

and then, there's HEROES. first of all, the show was supposedly about ordinary ppl with extraordinary powers BUT realistic. telekinesis - awesome (my fav power that i would choose), mind reading - kool, finding ppl anywhere in the world with just a picture - ok, cell regeneration - sure, muscle memory - why not, painting the future - meh, hell, i'll even give it to them with super strength (just not superman strength) BUT flying (like superman, NO wings)? time traveling (the MAIN prob i had with the show, due to the whole back and forth thru time)? invisibility? walking thru walls? talking to anything electronic? besides, the time traveling prob, i have an issue with shows (or movies) that just ignore questions u may have, and just does stuff w/o plausible explanation and then just continues on with the show (or movie) as if nothing happened. it's vry annoying.

(This post was last edited on January 21, 2011 at 11:08 AM ET.)

Jan 21, 2011 2:44 PM ET #12 (permalink)

NH - Try the movie Dark City for a spin on parallel universes. Doesn't exactly fit the bill for parallel, but is still a trip nonetheless...sort of Hellraiser meets Body Snatchers meets Matrix. A must for sci-fi fans.

Jan 22, 2011 6:18 PM ET #13 (permalink)

having hearing that about that movie, of course, i tried it, but it was late as hell, i was tired as shit, and i was confused as fuck lol i'll just have to try it out again. i don't even rmbr hellraiser. i saw that WAY back when i was just a little jit. and idk if i've ever even seen body snatchers. thnx man.

Jan 23, 2011 2:51 PM ET #14 (permalink)

RTB

reason why i posted this other than frustration is the last couple of days off i had, im going through my dish menu of shows, (direct tv) which i have about 600 some odd channels, and there is nothing fucking on...i find myself watching other than cable news and sports and mad dose of reruns.....and like i said, the shows that are on or that are coming out are just brutal...
vh1, e! channel, mtv, and bravo have gotta be the worst as far as there lineup of shows...
travel, discovery, nat geo wild, and national geographic channels and the history channel usually have decent and interesting shows...

Jan 23, 2011 5:39 PM ET #15 (permalink)

When I have nothing to watch and end up surfing, I usually end up on Animal Planet, National Geographic, or something else showing interesting documentary style shows than reality TV and cheese 80s movies reruns. OR Versus to see if there's any interesting extreme sports on.

(This post was last edited on January 23, 2011 at 5:39 PM ET.)

Jan 23, 2011 6:00 PM ET #16 (permalink)

i stop by history channel often. love gangland, ancient aliens and those docs about the mafia and ww2 experiments.

Jan 23, 2011 9:13 PM ET #17 (permalink)

I do the same thing DB.
Although in Australia, Our Versus channel is called FuelTV. Its where we get all of Spike UFC free view stuff, as well as TUF.

American television seems a hell lot better to what we have here.
TV is horse shit in Australia.

Jan 24, 2011 6:36 PM ET #18 (permalink)

^^^ netflix man!! unless it's just a US thing too =\

Jan 25, 2011 2:17 AM ET #19 (permalink)

When I go to the US, I notice this: A lot of channels but not very many good ones.

Metalocalypse is a great invention though.

Jan 25, 2011 5:23 AM ET #20 (permalink)

I'm kinda bored with all the usual Tv stuff. There's so much crap on tv these days that it makes Channel surfing a painful experience.
Rescue Me and Nip/Tuck were great for a while but then they just got boring. But I guess that's just how it goes with all tv series after a while.
I like Sons of Anarchy as well, but it's a bit "over-the-top" for me.
Detroit 1-8-7 is pretty entertaining. So far ;)

NH, I could never get into the Sarah Connor Chronicles, but I absolutely love the Terminator films. Well, the 1st, 2nd and 4th anyway. The 3rd one was a joke. Everybody seems to hate the 4th one, apart from me. Oh well... here we go again.

Jan 25, 2011 9:58 AM ET #21 (permalink)

I loved salvation BUT hated that christian bale was john connor. as good of an actor he is, i'm so tired of him being in everything! sam worthington is the shit tho. i liked the ending. i was rlly interested in what McG was gonna do with the franchise cuz i felt and took it as if a prequel (kinda like the more recent star wars films) but obviously it was a sequel chronicalogically, but then he let all the complaining of those who didn't like it (for w/e reason) get to him >;.>; i liked it for the fact that, besides the war aspects, it was so different than the same formula the rest used: terminator sent back in time to kill sarah/john connor and they run from it. i thought t3 was unnecessary and it changed the theme behind the films once it said that no matter what they did, judgement day couldn't be averted, only postponed, and that the future was alrdy set to be in motion. and i hated it for a while because i love kyle reese's quote to sarah, then to john, from the first film "the future is not set. no fate but what we make for ourselves", the the third film completely disregarded it. but then w/o t3, salvation wouldn't have been possible or understood, or ppl wouldda just taken it as a prequel that eventually led to the events of the first 2, which probably wouldda been kool, but it wouldda caused even more complaining =\

the sarah connor chronicles was just entertaining for fans of the fanchise, but it does bother one much with all of the terminators constantly time traveling along with many resistance fighters too, when the technology was thought to be limited and secret.

Jan 25, 2011 1:48 PM ET #22 (permalink)

I liked the Chronicles. I have a nack for pushing my questions about "holes in the plot" aside and just enjoying it for what it is. The Johnny Cash montage for the Season 1 finale (I believe that's right) was fucking amazing. When The Man Comes Around!

I also liked the series finale...though the liquid alloy story had run it's course IMO.

Jan 25, 2011 4:13 PM ET #23 (permalink)

I just finally rechecked this thread, and I have concluded one thing....

Rosie O'Donnels menstrual stained panties would make a GREAT subject for a reality show. I'de watch it.

Jan 26, 2011 12:23 AM ET #24 (permalink)

^^^ i'd steal someone dvr to record and rewatch every episode right after watching them.

cozen: don't get me wrong, i did the same thing man and enjoyed it myself, but one can only take it for so long. i loved that johnny cash montage!! also, i swear they used cash's cover of the nin song, "hurt" during an episode.

Jan 26, 2011 6:00 AM ET #25 (permalink)

Fully agreed once again, NH.
Bale seems to be "do-it-all" man. John Connor, Batman, "The" American Psycho (although he's not american. Apparently he's a psycho though)
Terminator Salvation is a great film, no question, even the CG stuff looked just amazing (to me), there's some horrible acting on it, but oh well, who cares as long as the terminators look mean ;)

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum