"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

My TOOL experience

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> My TOOL experience

Displaying 8 posts
Displaying 8 posts
Aug 10, 2009 9:01 PM ET #1 (permalink)

July 29th, TOOL came to the bojangles coliseum, which I live an 8 min walk from. I have been waiting almost 15 years to see TOOL, and could not believe that they were going to play that close to my apt. A friend of mine, who is a member of toolarmy.com put together a meet and greet for fellow toolarmy members. We set up the tailgate party around 1-2ish.

Living so close to the coliseum, allowed me to come home throughout the day to soak up some a.c. and 420. The doors opened around 7ish, and the mad dash was on. I didnt have floor, so i wasnt in any hurry to get in. the coliseum only holds 10,500, but it seemed like there were 50,000 people there.

The opening act, Tweakbird, was already on when i got to my seat. Now, im not gonna say that Im going to run out and by their cd when its out or get it if its already out, but i would like to see them play a longer set. Very interesting sound i thought.

Then, it was time for the reason why everyone showed up. The lights went out and the crowd roared like ravenous beasts attacking their prey. Since I have waited almost half of my life to see them, I was on a very emotional rollercoaster. I had tears in my eyes (and im not ashamed to admit it) and they flowed freely!! as it was my 1st TOOL show I had no idea what to expect, but that was the great thing. No matter what Tool did, it was not going to upset me in any way. I was beyond happy to be there. I had heard quite a few people before the show saying that they woulod be mad if they played certain songs. Well, I thought, dont go to so many shows and you will not be dissappointed!! Some had seen them 4-5 times, and wanted a new set to be played. BOO FUCKING HOO FOR THOSE TURDS!!!

Tool came out and played, in my opinion, a spectacular set. From the opening note to the last note, the crowd showed their love for the TOOL guys. As each song was played you could hear the crowd singing right along with Maynard, word for word!! A couple of times I had chills go up and down my body. I was seeing what turned out to be, in my opinion, the best concert i have ever been to!!

TOOL SETLIST FOR JULY 29:

JAMBI
STINKFIST
46&2
SCHISM
ROSETTA STONED
FLOOD (i wanted to see that 1 played more than any other song and they played it!!)
AENIMA
LATERALUS
VICARIOUS

And afterwards, it was only an 8 min walk home!!!

Aug 10, 2009 9:48 PM ET #2 (permalink)

"BOO FUCKING HOO FOR THOSE TURDS!!!"

hahahahah love your work, man :D

Setlist sounds spot on, if a little short. I honestly would want them to play their entire discography back to front lol

Aug 11, 2009 12:06 PM ET #3 (permalink)

branded: And so it goes. You'll never miss another TOOL show after seeing that one I guarantee (I know I won't). Best part is... They're fucking flawless every time you see them. Amazing musicians, each and every one.

Aug 11, 2009 2:19 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Hell yeah bg1. i will do my best to make every tool show i can!!

Aug 18, 2009 7:24 PM ET #5 (permalink)

did see them coule of years ago in miami
they rocked

but not as good as king hetfield and friends
hhahaha

Aug 18, 2009 10:01 PM ET #6 (permalink)

""but not as good as king hetfield and friends
hhahaha""

no comment!!!! lololol

Aug 25, 2009 1:44 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Branded - Great stuff...I hated to miss this show since I'm based in Raleigh. Thanks to your post, I can live VICARIOUS for this one. I've driven to D.C. to see TOOL so you know damn well I would have been there if I were able. The beginning of Stinkfist threw you off huh? They made sure to mix in the sound effect at a pivotal moment though to spice it up.

Aenima is a kick in the teeth. Rosetta Stoned was a mind fuck. I'll say that H. is my all time favorite song live, I'm curious what others think.?.

Aug 25, 2009 7:51 PM ET #8 (permalink)

ty cozen. it was the 3rd greatest night of my life....

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum