"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

The Rockstar Energy Mayhem Festival: The self-promoting waste of time...Clubs & Bars are better.

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> The Rockstar Energy Mayhem Festival: The self-promoting waste of time...Clubs & Bars are better.

Displaying 15 posts
Displaying 15 posts
Aug 10, 2009 10:05 AM ET #1 (permalink)

[DISCLAIMER: The reason I call it a waste of time is NOT because of the bands there (Even though a lot of them sucked), so just read before some of you n00bs give me some angry reply for the title]

Okay Metalheads, I'm gonna start with the events as they came (with very limited commentary), and then I'm gonna rant after all that. Something tells me you guys are gonna like my ranting better than my reporting.

EVENT: The Rockstar Energy Mayhem Festival

So it starts off with two small stages: The Jägermeister Stage and The Hot Topic Stage (We stayed at the Hot Topic Stage because the bands we liked were there). And of course the idea is, while one stage is setting up, the other plays. Then finally, The Rockstar Main Stage.

The "Hot Topic Stage" lineup (from first to last):
Whitechapel
Job For a Cowboy
Behemoth
The Black Dahlia Murder
Cannibal Corpse

The "Jägermeister Stage" lineup:
St. Diablo (who weren't mentioned on the bill for some reason)
God Forbid
All That Remains
Trivium

The "Rockstar Main Stage" lineup:
Bullet for my Valentine
Killswitch Engage
Slayer
Marilyn Manson

Still with me? Good! So I actually missed Whitechapel (we were a bit late) But on the way in, I clearly heard "This is Exile" and it was good.

Then I heard some other band who I found out later was St. Diablo. I'm assuming they're good for metalcore (I was still outside of the arena because of the line. And then when I got to the point of entry, Security told me I couldn't wear my bullet belt, so that was 10-15 minutes of looking for a place to stash it outside of the Pavilion).

The next band takes the Hot Topic stage, I was moshing for a good minute before I realized it was Job For A Cowboy.

God Forbid takes the Jägermeister stage, they were decent. It was pretty cool hearing the frontman between songs (Its one of the few times you can actually hear him and go "Oh, he IS black!"): "We're gonna have a good fucking time! We're gonna drink! We're gonna fuck! And then we're gonna smoke some good fucking weed!"

We're still chilling at the Hot Topic stage because we know Behemoth is next. My anticipation was stirring, mostly because I've been a Behemoth fan since "Zos Kia Cvltvs." They get on stage, full gear and corpsepaint donned on. They start it off strong with "Slaves Shall Serve." Then into "At The Left Hand ov God" (If you thought the video was EPIC, the live performance gives you chills even when its 108 degrees outside). And you can best believe EVERYONE MOSHED to "Conquer All." They played "Ov Fire and The Void" off the new album, "Evangelion." Then they finished with "Ezkaton" and broke into a cover of Turbonegro's "I Got Erection"
---And of course, as a fan, I knew every song by heart, which was funny because the people around me were actually impressed that I screamed/growled out the lyrics in sync with Nergal.

All That Remains took the Jägermeister stage, and then The Black Dahlia Murder took the Hot Topic Stage. Then Trivium on Jägermeister stage.

Then finally, Cannibal Corpse fucking PWNS EVERYTHING! The crowd anticipates, then we see Corpsegrinder. Next you hear shouts of "GEORGE! CORPSEGRINDER! FUCK THE ALLIANCE!!! FOR THE HORDE!!!" (For those who didn't see that one interview, Corpsegrinder is an avid player of World of Warcraft-But I don't hold that against him. And ever since he fervently stated his alignment with "The Horde" and said "FUCK THE ALLIANCE" I noticed the influx of WoWfags in the crowd). It was awesome! They started "Make Them Suffer" That was the first time I saw AN ENTIRE CROWD MOSHING! I mean EVERYBODY! Front to back, side to side! Just MOSHING! It was fucking BRUTAL! I fell, I got hit in the back of the head by a falling crowd-surfer, and I got hit in the nose twice, but it was totally worth it!

Then, security herded the crowd toward the main stage. Bullet For My Valentine was up first.

Killswitch Engage was next, and I only knew two songs: "The End of a Heartache" (which is known by virtually everyone), and a cover of "Holy Diver." However, they are impressive for Metalcore. And Howard Jones is a cool guy for not taking himself too seriously, he doesn't have "frontman syndrome" and knows how to joke and have fun.

And now...the band everyone was waiting for...SLAYER!!!

SLAYER'S SETLIST (That's really all that matters):
1. Disciple (with the "Darkness of Christ" intro)
---It was just starting and we were in the lawn section, the pit was surprisingly weak for a Slayer show. And we did try!
2. War Ensemble
3. Jihad
4. Psychopathy Red
5. Born Of Fire
6. Mandatory Suicide
---It was at this point, we tried to sneak into the seated/front sections. The plan was to creep from row to row til we got to the front and then kick ass in the pits where the band could actually see us
7. Chemical Warfare
8. Ghosts Of War
---We were then politely removed from the front section and sent back to the lawn section.
9. Dead Skin Mask
10. Hell Awaits
11. Angel Of Death
---This is where the mosh pits got bigger.
12. South Of Heaven
13. Raining Blood
---The grand finale! Even though it was the lawn section, we got as crazy as possible! And I'm actually surprised that there were no casualties! It was at this point I lost my voice, and literally EVERYTHING HURTS! (Its the following morning, and I'm still in pain).

I would've left right after that, but [my friend's girlfriend-who was curious about Manson, as well as his brother] wanted to stay for Marilyn Manson. I stayed for about three songs in, and left to hang out elsewhere at the Pavilion and wait for the other two to get out. Seriously, its a bad idea for Manson to close the show after SLAYER. Half the crowd busted out before Manson got on. And I honestly like Manson enough to keep him on my iPod, strictly for the nostalgic moments back when I was some mallgoth trying to be somebody. But I don't like him enough to stick around for a live show. Plus, the last two albums after "Golden Age of Grotesque" are weak. But I did hear some songs I remember from the old days, it did bring me back some, even though I was sitting outside the arena waiting him out.

AND NOW MY RANT:

I only went to this festival for 4 of the 13 bands playing (Whitechapel, Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse, and SLAYER). Which means I'm sitting thru most of the festival waiting out 9 other bands that just don't cut it for me.

First off, I missed Whitechapel, and as much as most deathcore sucks, they're actually really good!

The Security sucked, mostly because I had to stash my bullet belt because of their regulations. Luckily it didn't get stolen, but it was in the back of my mind the whole time, "Damn I hope I buried it under enough brush. If someone steals it while I'm stuck in here, I will crush skulls." The only bright side of having to stash that thing was that it gave me time to NOT have to listen to St. Diablo's glam-core crap.

Which brings me to this: The scene shit has to fucking die! You have at least 2 good bands that should be headlining with SLAYER but they're not! Where Behemoth and Cannibal Corpse should definitely be, is replaced with Killswitch Engage (who are OKAY) and Bullet for my Faggotry!

Now about [Blow]Job for a Cowboy...Imagine getting with a good-looking woman, then you find out she's actually a man--that's exactly how it felt for me when I found out I was moshing to Job For A Cowboy. I then, immediately stopped, and stood there awkwardly with my two friends-like we just got date-raped or something, and waited them out.

Now speaking of moshing, I've never been to anything like this before. So, having been used to clubs and bars where its just floor, adding ground with gravel, rocks, and dirt adds a whole other factor! Moshing is awesome regardless of where you go, and it didn't stop me, but falling on a jagged rock is a bitch! And lets not get into how much dust is kicked up in a pit, and then add Corpsegrinder saying "I wanna see a big fucking dustball from you motherfuckers!" So you're moshing, inhaling dust til your throat feels like you just sucked off the Sandman and he told you to swallow. Which is most of the reason my throat hurts like fuck, and my nose is stuffed/runny. And trust me, you get home and rinse out/blow your nose then it turns into a game of "I CAN'T BELIEVE ALL THIS SHIT CAME OUT OF MY NOSE!" Nothing but brown and black nose shit!

Now, fellow Metalheads, I know you've been at a show for your favorite band, and then there's always that one dumb bitch who probably isn't even a fan and you hear "I got to meet SLAYER backstage!" Yeah, I went to high school with that broad, and I bumped into her at the show. She was actually there for Manson. Its always someone who probably doesn't even listen to the band that gets to go backstage.

HOW CAPITALISM RUINS METAL:
I get that The Rockstar Energy Drink company hosted the event (Maybe its the fact that they put the drink's name in the title of the fucking tour!), and that's cool. But us smarter folks know that you're letting the bands play on the condition that they drink your product on stage for the crowd to see, and the stupid people can go "Oh shit, Nergal/Corpsegrinder drink Rockstar! I suddenly want to go to the booths and cool off with a drink that is actually really bad for me when I'm dehydrated and its 108 degrees out here!"-SUCKER!

Its stupid that a band has to do shit like this just to get by. Mind you, it was creative watching Orion and Seth from Behemoth take the Rockstar cans and puncture them open with the spikes on their boots. I'd probably buy Rockstar on the condition that I get to have Orion and Seth open the cans for me in full gear and corpsepaint.

---Also, I shouldn't have to add this, but just to avoid any of you wondering, YES I THINK HOT TOPIC SUCKS TOO!

THE VENUE:
Seriously, it sucks. We could only afford lawn section, that was between $30-$50 And thats definitely a far cry from the stage! I had to squint at Kerry King's shredding, and no, the big screens don't help. Honestly, for less than $30 at a bar/club I could go deaf because I'd be right next to the stage with Kerry King's full stacks making my ears bleed.

And I guess I'm new to this, because again, I've never been to places like the Pavilion before, but damn, the fact that security enforces the rules on the section you're in is retarded. Even though there were whole sections of empty seats. You seriously could've taken everyone from the lawn section, and put them in the seated section.

Also, yeah, clubs/bars may be smaller, but that's a good thing! Its a more personal experience when a band plays in a club/bar. Its like saying "Yeah, I know you're broke as fuck, but I fucking love you all anyway" I appreciate that.

...Now ultimately, because of the bands I initially went for, IT WAS WORTH THE TROUBLE! But I'm sticking to clubs & bars!

(This post was last edited on August 10, 2009 at 10:07 AM ET.)

Aug 10, 2009 10:30 AM ET #2 (permalink)

*jumps and snorts out of sleep* wha- are we there yet?

Just kiddin' Gore. I don't do concerts hardly at all, but I definitely enjoy the club shows better. Alot of those guys probably threw out the actual swill that was in the cans and got water or something. That shit is so awful for you it's ridiculous. I bet they all get a pretty decent paycheck after the tour is over though. Sometimes you just do what you gotta do. I'm all about integrity, but sometimes, you gotta put food on the table and shoes on the feet.

Aug 10, 2009 10:36 AM ET #3 (permalink)

americanpatriot1, I totally understand that, which is why I don't hold it against the bands. I just hate that it comes to that.

Aug 10, 2009 12:36 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Life sucks like that.

Aug 10, 2009 1:58 PM ET #5 (permalink)

festivals like this suck... really bad. after gigantour the other year, i've just stopped. i went to see into eternity, they played 2-3 songs tops. wtf... they were on the MAIN stage... 2-3 songs? i know other conditions were factored in but yeah...

Another thing is that you can get intimate with the band the whole show is just about the pit (good for people who LOVE to mosh and not give a shit about the music). hell i'll be lucky if i can see them half the time. i prefer paying 10 bux to see a fraction of the bands with GOOD sound in an intimate setting. the only time it's worth it to goto a big fest like that is if the acts you wanna see only do big stadium tours. like when i saw maiden open for ozzy at ozzfest a few years back. it made sense. another time it's worth it is if it's a multiple day festival. i've never done it, but i wanna goto waken one year.

Aug 10, 2009 2:10 PM ET #6 (permalink)

I would like to add another "bitch" to the list. Since they have you in the venue for the entire day, they also get to fuck you up the ass for food and beverages. The last Mayhem I went to cost me $200.00 for food and beverages for me and my lady. Especially in AZ, I think the H2O should be free, but no, it's $5.00 for a bottle that retails at the circle K for $1.00.

Aug 10, 2009 2:34 PM ET #7 (permalink)

zMETALlica: Oh yeah, I have to go to Wacken one day...

Blindgreed1: Thats another thing! $5 for water?! They should be fucking HANDING OUT WATER! They should be spraying hoses on the crowds like we were fighting for civil rights!!! THOSE FUCKERS!!!

Aug 10, 2009 3:03 PM ET #8 (permalink)

blindgreed: shit i remember at ozzfest it was like 100 degrees out or some shit. water 5 bux... insane. you'd think they'd make enough from the sponsorships, high ticket prices, bands paying to play, and beer etc...

Aug 10, 2009 4:29 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Me and a friend were going to go to Wacken, but the tickets for the whole weekend were over $100, then you have to pay for parking, as well as a tent spot, latrine fees, and cleaning fees at the end of the festival. All in all, it was going to cost about $300 a pop. We gave a bil 'ol F that to the whole thing. Plus, tons of shit bands you have to sit through, just to get to the 10-12 that you really want to see.

Aug 10, 2009 5:11 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Hey, I moved this to general MUSIC discussion. If it isrelated to music, let's put it here. Otherwise there's not really a difference between General Discussion and General Music Discussion.

Aug 10, 2009 6:59 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Z: 100 degrees is a walk in the park compared to what it is here. They usually have 3rd stage in a portion of the back parking lot and it's not unusual to get up to 120-130 out there on the asphalt. You can literally feel the heat burning your feet through the soles of your shoes. They do turn on the fire hoses but only after dark for the headline on main stage.

Aug 10, 2009 10:29 PM ET #12 (permalink)

jesus. well get a pan and start cooking some eggs! haha. i had no clue it could get that hot even in AZ. also keep in mind it's NJ where people aren't used to these kinds of temps, so it's more drastic on our body. people who live in a climate that is naturally hot/cold get more used to it. then again up to 120 degrees is a bit much for any human to suffer through a show. i'm surprised that kinda show wasn't all over the news that people were passing out/dead from heat stroke.

(This post was last edited on August 10, 2009 at 10:30 PM ET.)

Aug 11, 2009 11:26 AM ET #13 (permalink)

Z: It happens all the time here (heatstroke), so it doesn't really make front page news. The veterans are prepared for it and we pace ourselves, but last year I even got a little carried away in the MH pit and started showing symptoms. Metal shows are serious business here. lol.

Aug 11, 2009 11:34 AM ET #14 (permalink)

damn man. i'm sure beer is practically free too, so you get crazy dehydrated faster and water is 5-10 bux lol. seriously it's messed up what companies do to get your money.

Aug 11, 2009 12:00 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Z: Free? Nope... $10.00 for 12 ounces and you have to wait in line for 20 minutes to get some and inevitably some asshole runs into you after you pay and spills half of it on the ground or your girlfriend. lol. Fuckin highway robbery I tell ya!

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum