"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

CD or Download?

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> CD or Download?

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 48 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 48 1 2 Last
Aug 10, 2009 2:13 AM ET #1 (permalink)

I used to be somewhat of a CD purist, never downloading music because I liked the physical feel of the CD and reading the booklet. However, I have found that I pretty much download everything now (legally) because of the convenience, speed and overall cheapness.

How about you?

Aug 10, 2009 3:11 AM ET #2 (permalink)

MUCH prefer having the physical album and leaflet to leaf through. But in all honesty, I tend to download most stuff unless I particularly like the artwork for an album, or particularly want to support the band.

Aug 10, 2009 5:27 AM ET #3 (permalink)

CD's. No question about it.

I've been buying them for years. Never really liked the whole idea of downloading music. In all honesty, I prefer to own a physical copy of an album along with the booklet (artwork + lyrics), bonus CD/DVD, or free mini-poster/patch that usually come with your purchase. It beats the living hell out of an ordinary MP3 file that just sits in your portable music device all day.

\,,l "Infernal Visions" by Sacrifice l,,/

(This post was last edited on August 10, 2009 at 1:48 PM ET.)

Aug 10, 2009 5:30 AM ET #4 (permalink)

haha! I pretty much just ripped off Psythe's comment.

Aug 10, 2009 6:42 AM ET #5 (permalink)

Shredder - Couldn't have said it better myself :P

Aug 10, 2009 8:19 AM ET #6 (permalink)

music to me falls under two categories: background and foreground. the foreground I buy or see live, the background i download. foreground i consider anything i'd wanna rock out to. background is just there and doesn't make me wanna blast the music and rock out, but is good music I still enjoy. sadly not many bands fall into the foreground territory. but i always try and support nearly any band i really enjoy in some shape or form. buying CDs isn't the only way to support a band. for me it's something i need when the music experience needs to goto a new level. as mentioned before i love the booklets. i own between 100 and 200 CDs. I have them all thrown in a big bin in my closet. I got them all ripped to lossless FLAC on my comp. This is also the format I download in.

Another thing that is key to my decision of purchasing an album: if i need to hear it in my car. the cars at my house only have a CD player and radio. and i tested out the mp3 player with radio, it sucked big time. so if i feel the need to rock out to a song in the car, it's the real defining point. i love heavy fast shit that i can sing/growl along to when I'm driving...

i also refuse to pay more than 10 bux a CD. anything more is a giant rip off. as a result i order online a lot, buy used, and look for good sales. i once got a CD for 3 bux, which allowed me to buy some CDs that were 12 bux. CMdistro and the end records is wher ei usually buy my music.

Aug 10, 2009 10:16 AM ET #7 (permalink)

I love going to the store and holding 5-6 and pine over which one I want more. I think I will start ordering online though. I think I will have to ITunes some of the older stuff I want. Shredder pretty much summed it up for me though.

Aug 11, 2009 3:46 AM ET #8 (permalink)

i'm a bastard. i download stuff to find new bands and stick to it. after i had an enormous case of CDs get heisted from my car one time i gave up on them. i like little pamphlets as much as the next person and having a huge collection of cases taking up 15% of my living space, but it just became so much easier to download music. i buy merch at shows though when they come around, i feel like the bands get more money out of it anyway. yeah, maybe where a tour goes is based on CDs sales but if no one was out gathering information from downloads, i just created a paying position someone can jump on =p

Aug 11, 2009 8:08 AM ET #9 (permalink)

oddly enough smaller bands DO look at where listeners are coming from and then tour there. sadly most major labels are too stupid to fund tours based on that or take chances on new bands. but as a band you gotta save up your band fund enough from playing local shows to go into the studio, tour, make your merch, etc. either that or be a good negotiator and have a good manager.

Aug 11, 2009 2:55 PM ET #10 (permalink)

I always buy CDs, but I don't have the space for all the cases. I just look at them the first time I listen to them and then I have to get rid of them.

Aug 14, 2009 5:18 PM ET #11 (permalink)

dudes buy only records or cd
its more fun to have it in your hand
and nowadays you get lots of exstra stuff

and i am one of this old dudes who dont believe in downloading

Aug 14, 2009 5:32 PM ET #12 (permalink)

i'd love to see bands start doing a price range/tiered pricing system for their music: lowest is just a CD in a slipcase with artwork ($1-5), then you go up to a digipack with some liner notes/credits ($5-10), but no lyrics, then the next step you get a jewel case with a nice sized booklet with all the lyrics, credits, thank yous, etc. ($8-12) after that it'll be the bonus shit, bonus DVD backstage footage, interviews, etc. in a dual disc package ($10-20 depending on extra content). lastly the top tier would include everything before but with a 96khz/24bit quality version of the album on a super CD/dvd audio disc or a DVD/flash drive with FLAC files in that format ($15-25). also they should start selling MP3s for 25-50 cents at 192kbps quality DRM free. not that i'd buy them, but that's what they are worth quality wise for anyone with a real speaker system/stereo.

I'd seriously like to see a band do that. i'm sure they'd make a killing. of course they'd have to have a good sized following. hmm like NIN lol.

Aug 14, 2009 11:46 PM ET #13 (permalink)

There's a rule in marketing about too many choices though...

They are doing the standard (jewel case) and deluxe (digipack with CD+DVD) a lot though. And if they happen to be on sale somewhere like Best Buy the week of release, it's a steal. Behemoth digipak for 9.99... I think I got the standard of an album recently for 7.99. Deluxe of Devildriver was 9.99 too. Can't beat that.

Aug 15, 2009 1:39 AM ET #14 (permalink)

Fucking Australia, 30 golden coins for an album no matter how much content it's got. Liner notes, artwork, all that crap - hasn't got it? Still 30. Want the digipak? Say goodbye to 40 of those suckers. It's downright THIEVERY.

Aug 15, 2009 2:09 AM ET #15 (permalink)

Downloads are more convenient.

Aug 15, 2009 7:34 PM ET #16 (permalink)

I download but go to shows to support the bands directly!!

Aug 16, 2009 6:46 PM ET #17 (permalink)

7.99? wow that's pretty nifty. i saw a bin full of DVDs at FYE half of them were 5 bux... from what i remember movies cost a lot more to make and yet they're prices are dropping like crazy. yet CDs still remain around 10 bux when on sale.

Aug 20, 2009 6:51 PM ET #18 (permalink)

Y

Why would you pay for mp3s? Just buy the CD. It's worth the extra money.

I'm against downloading music and keeping it instead of buying the album. I do what many do; I download a CD (if the band is not on Myspace or some other site where I can hear the music first) and decide whether or not I would buy their album. If so, I delete it and buy the album, if not, I delete it and find something else.

Aug 21, 2009 11:45 AM ET #19 (permalink)

CD. It's a good feeling to look at a massive rack of CDs - an iPod full of dled music can't compare, including quality-wise. I've got both, though I'm slowly replacing all my dled stuff with CDs ...

Aug 21, 2009 12:45 PM ET #20 (permalink)

"It's a good feeling to look at a massive rack of CDs"

End of story.

\,,l "Never" by Heart l,,/ <; Playing on radio

Aug 21, 2009 1:27 PM ET #21 (permalink)

My goal is to elimate all forms of underground music- metal, punk, jazz, etc- by stealing all the music I can from bands so that they cannot pay their bills and cannot afford to eat. I don't care how many kids the artist have or how they pay the rent, I only care about my entitlement to free music.

Aug 21, 2009 9:14 PM ET #22 (permalink)

have to agree with schredder

bruno you are a funny dude
but hey nowadays the bands only make money by doing a tour and playing live shows
and selling there product on the road
so your lame ass attemt is for nothing

Aug 24, 2009 11:54 AM ET #23 (permalink)

^^^^Look it is a floating chode!
You sir can fuck right off!

Aug 24, 2009 12:39 PM ET #24 (permalink)

^^^ Now Thats Fuckin Funny!!!!

Aug 24, 2009 5:06 PM ET #25 (permalink)

Bruno: English is not Wilco's first language, so i'm doubting he was in tune with your sarcasm. Wilco is a brother through and hrough.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum