"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

DIY recording

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> DIY recording

Displaying 9 posts
Displaying 9 posts
Dec 27, 2010 1:17 PM ET #1 (permalink)

recording some shit we've been working on for a while, its nice and tight. backstory is that im an unemployed starving muso, while they rest of the crew have day jobs still, all of us have no money. we've practised the shit and its tight, however we dont have the cash for studio time or our own gear. the jamspace we've got is a little big but it sounds good. with our first attemps to record we had a lot of problems, one mic picking up all of us at once, all competing to be herd over the drums it was LOUD and the guitars bass dump over the whole thing, theres gotta be a way to do it efficiantly and cheaply. any ideas would be apprciated

Jan 10, 2011 10:51 PM ET #2 (permalink)

use more than one mic. spend 500 bux on mics stands and cables and another 500 on an interface and you should be set. ya you gotta save up and spend money to get a good sounding recording, but hey spending 1-2k on somethign that'll sound decent is a lot better than spending 5+k on one album that could sound rushed and crappy.

what you'll need:
Drum mic kit - audix makes good mics and i'm sure you can find a cheap solution that'll allow for some room to mix.
Shure SM57 - this bad boy is 89 bux and can be used for nearly anything (guitar amps, acoustic guitars, etc) including vocals (though i'd get a windscreen or something).

The last thing you'll need is an interface with 7 mic pres. there are many out there from 500-600 bux.

and of course cables will cost ya. figure a dollar a foot per cable.

in the end DON'T RECORD LIVE! record one instrument at a time.

also get good recording software like Reaper it's 'free' @ reaper.fm.

Jan 10, 2011 11:51 PM ET #3 (permalink)

listen to zMETALlica, he knows his stuff. Panning, bit of carefully placed reverb, getting the volumes right, double tracking guitar - these things can take something unlistenable to good in no time.

Jan 12, 2011 1:39 PM ET #4 (permalink)

I endorse z, Cynic and the SM57 for any and all workhorse uses in the studio.

Jan 13, 2011 2:47 AM ET #5 (permalink)

So when double tracking the guitars how should you pan the two tracks?

Jan 13, 2011 3:39 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Hard left/right. Though don't let that stop you from experimenting - there's no right answer in production, only sounds that you're going for. In the tracks I'm working on now, I panned hard left right, then made copies of those tracks and panned them to about 80 l/r but switched the sides they were layered on, and gave them a slightly different guitar sound. It's all about experimentation, but yeah for most cases you will want hard left/right.

Jan 14, 2011 12:01 AM ET #7 (permalink)

yeah I don't like the hard left/right. I like a sort of 60-70 now. Thanks for the advice.

Jan 24, 2011 7:12 AM ET #8 (permalink)

Hi im new here, name's Phil.

Id say check your local paper. Often times there are upstart engineers in town just looking to get experience at recording anything at all. The kind of guys that just bought the setup but have no one to record, theyre out there if u fish around in a decent sized city.

Jan 26, 2011 8:59 AM ET #9 (permalink)

figured i should note that if you do have a lot of sound separation in the room you are recording in/, i suggest recording live when recording drums and using the other instruments as Scratch tracks (and if they are great then use em). also many people DI the rest of the instruments and slap on a distortion pedal/plugin for drive. but most pro studios do it this way then punch in/re-record the parts not done right.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum