"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Why I can't get on with "indie rock"

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Why I can't get on with "indie rock"

Displaying 8 posts
Displaying 8 posts
Aug 8, 2009 9:24 AM ET #1 (permalink)

I know the term 'indie' is hollow, but in popular music it tends to define bands who play incredibly weak music i.e. basic musical skills and "edgy" lyrics but not enough so that they don't get played on the radio.

The music just doesn't inspire me. It feels wet and half-assed. Lyrical subjects are often limited (but not all the time, admittedly) and most bands tend to exist solely for profit and the 'rock star' lifestyle. Arrogance tends to be a theme too - I seem to remember an interview with Brandon Flowers from The Killers where he was asked who are your inspirations and he replied along the lines of "We have no inspirations, we're unique".

I just wonder how so many people can be into these bands. But then again, I bet that's what 90% of the world say about metal.

(This post was last edited on August 8, 2009 at 9:25 AM ET.)

Aug 8, 2009 9:47 AM ET #2 (permalink)

I never used to be into the indie scene - like you I thought it was just weak pop music. Nowadays I actually like it. You gotta disassociate it from pop or hiphop - it really is its own genre. While the mood of metal and most hiphop is driven by sex or anger or some such powerful emotion, indie tends to focus on more 'airy' moods. Rather than being about the steamy fuck you had last night, it's about waking up to the sunshine coming through the blinds the next morning. Rather than weaker, I would say it's lighter.

Of course, as always, everything depends on the band/song you're listening to.

Aug 8, 2009 12:07 PM ET #3 (permalink)

the indie rock you are talking about is is just modern alternative rock. real indie rock is different... but i digress. i find that people listen to music for many reasons. i listen to metal for it's intensity and drive, which helps motivate me through the day. indie rock i find more relaxing and chill music you would hear at a coffee house or something (where a lot of it is played). many people like the feeling of being relaxed by music and prefer not to hear the intensity of metal, which is why i listen to it.

furthermore i find that indie rock is more focused on lyrics than the music. the music is there for accompaniment. Most people i know who like indie rock are into reading/writing, which is no surprise. they enjoy the pretty lyrics, which i've found to be very emotional and capturing with some bands. as a result most fans of this style don't care about the musical aspects of the music, which is why it can be less technical. i find it almost a polar opposite to metal in some ways, but at the same time some indie rock is very intense, just more in the lyrics/vocals than the music.

... thanks for reading i guess haha.

Aug 8, 2009 9:03 PM ET #4 (permalink)

^Any recommendations?

Downloaded The Middle East's song 'The Darkest Side' the other day, it's really good :)

Aug 10, 2009 8:23 AM ET #5 (permalink)

yeah that's a cool song Psythe. interesting guitar finger picking. i found a point i forgot bout: most indie rock has soft (not in volume, but in tone) vocals and have a 60s folk feel ala Simon and Garfunkel.

Aug 10, 2009 7:10 PM ET #6 (permalink)

True, true. I picked up Grizzly Bear's new album Veckatimest the other day. Havn't actually spun it yet, but hoping for great things. I'll give it a go as soon as I can force myself to stop listening to Sarah Blasko's latest hahah

Aug 10, 2009 8:33 PM ET #7 (permalink)

I agree with OP, I fuckin' hate Indie music. It's huge here in Britain and makes this grey country even more dull.

Aug 14, 2009 5:23 PM ET #8 (permalink)

never really got into that music
have to agree with diamond oz
it sucks

my daughter like it
she is only allowed to lissen to it whan i am not at home
or headphones
this shit music is way to happy

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum