"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Do you ever buy albums as a direct consequence of Metal Underground?

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Do you ever buy albums as a direct consequence of Metal Underground?

Displaying 17 posts
Displaying 17 posts
Aug 8, 2009 8:47 AM ET #1 (permalink)

Metal Underground has led me to many great purchases. I 'm just curious if anyone else is spurred to buy albums purely on the back of MU reviews.

Aug 8, 2009 9:52 AM ET #2 (permalink)

I've picked up a few releases after some fantastic recommendations from other members here with similar tastes to mine. Barely ever been let down :)

Aug 8, 2009 10:45 AM ET #3 (permalink)

NEVER!!!!!!

Aug 8, 2009 1:37 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Before I worked for Metalunderground I bought the first Eternal Deformity album after reading a news post about them. At that time they didn't have their records on any major sites, or even used on Amazon, so I had to buy it used through eBay from some guy in Russia. Wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but it was still a decent purchase and led me to some other new stuff.

Aug 8, 2009 2:21 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I discovered the band Obscura due to new song updates. The songs alone got me walking toward the edge of the cliff but the review on it pushed me off and let me fly. I love 'Cosmogenesis' and I purchased it thanks to the review.

It doesn't always take a review though; I've gotten into great bands just out of the news mentioned in this place. What's even better is when conversations on the site make me look for something I want to think about that I read somewhere else, and I end up stumbling upon a band I've never heard of before; moments like that are gold.

(This post was last edited on August 8, 2009 at 2:27 PM ET.)

Aug 10, 2009 12:11 AM ET #6 (permalink)

I've gotten into a lot of great bands by way of other members on this site, like Sodom, Kreator, Destruction, Porcupine Tree, Mantic Ritual, and Rumpelstiltskin Grinder. All great bands.

Aug 10, 2009 1:54 AM ET #7 (permalink)

MU is the main reason I've moved away from "core" music. There's still a lot of metalcore I enjoy, but I'll be honest, at one point in my life I did enjoy deathcore *shakes head solemnly* I feel like I'm at an AA meeting--Hi, my name's Iggy and I'm a recovering coreaholic *Hi Iggy* I've been sober for 6 months now and during that time I've downloaded Opeth, In Flames, Gojira, Arsis and Mastodon to some degree because of opinions shared here.

Aug 10, 2009 8:04 AM ET #8 (permalink)

I know I've been working for MU forever, but i've discovered many bands through the site i had put off due to their older releases being meh. for example i remember one day doug told me to interview this band coming into my area into eternity and they were opening for this other band i love, Amorphis, so i'm like sure that sounds like fun. so i decided to check them out again. i was freaking blown away by Buried in Oblivion. I had previously heard a tune off Dead or Dreaming, which I still don't like. as a result of this experience i judge bands less over one song. Into Eternity is currently one of my favorite bands and I own 3 of their 5 CDs. this situation also happened with a few other bands, but into eternity has been the greatest influence on what i listen to now.

This site has also made me go to more shows and thus discover new bands, which is always great.

Aug 10, 2009 10:24 AM ET #9 (permalink)

I've been here a while so I can't even list the amount of cool bands I've checked out because of MU. Hammers of Misfortune is the main one that springs to mind however.

Aug 10, 2009 10:32 AM ET #10 (permalink)

I'm pretty damn sure if I had the funds to buy more music, I would use this site to go by.

Aug 10, 2009 1:41 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Although I haven't ever purchased a CD because of a review on this site, I often buy music suggested by other members of this site

Aug 11, 2009 5:04 PM ET #12 (permalink)

zMETALlica writes: "Amorphis"

Those guys are awesome! Sorry...just had to say it.

Aug 12, 2009 5:18 PM ET #13 (permalink)

I'm glad to hear that many of you discover new metal from us here on Metalunderground.com and that we're even an influence in your purchases.

No doubt I've discovered tons of new metal bands because of what I do here. There's been quite a few review CDs I've passed on to our reviewers only to go out and buy it later for myself. Hatchet is one example (it was a digital review copy, so I was going to buy the CD anyway). Eluveitie, Swashbuckle and Skull Branded Pirates are some others that I still intend to pick up.

And I've definitely got some good tips from our readers as well.

(This post was last edited on August 12, 2009 at 5:20 PM ET.)

Aug 26, 2009 8:01 PM ET #14 (permalink)

did buy some music afther reading the review
most the time i use aardschok or metalhamer

Aug 27, 2009 2:08 PM ET #15 (permalink)

I know for a fact that my friend "the Hebrew Hammer" has bought the latest Mumakil album after reading the review on this site. I'm pretty sure he got into High on Fire because of this site as well. He adores "Death is my Communion".

Me? I mostly go by member reccomendations, and the occasional music video that gets posted on this site. Here and there I just check out every band I havent heard of on the main news page and pick which ones I like. i usually find at leat one or two that arent half bad, and once in a while, something fucking awesome.

I have found a few bands that interest me throught the reviews on the site though. Starring Janet Leigh comes instantly to mind, and I know I've found more. Not to mention, without this site, I wouldnt know the release date of some of my favorite bands new albums(behemoth, Slayer, Devildriver) Then there are the bands that I wouldnt even know the existenc eof a forthcming album form them without this site at all. (Heaven and Hell, Morbid Angel, Necrophagist)

I have ALOT to be thankful for from this site for making my musical tastes what they are today.

Sep 2, 2009 11:10 AM ET #16 (permalink)

I recently had an impulse buy based off a MetalUnderground review -- Amorphis's "Skyforger". I trust the review squad (mostly), and this was a great review. I was already into Amorphis, so I knew what they sounded like. I just didn't know about their latest album, since "Eclipse" was only okay to me.

Sep 4, 2009 12:53 AM ET #17 (permalink)

There's been lots of stuff I've bought/downloaded because I found it on here and other sites like Metal Sucks. Unfortunately, the only thing that sticks out in my head is Winds of Plague's "Decimate the Weak" getting a very good review on here. I downloaded the album and liked it for a few days, then I realized- "this kind of sucks". Thanks for sending me to them, you assholes lol.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum