"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Where did you begin on the road to metal?

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Where did you begin on the road to metal?

Displaying posts 26 - 45 of 45 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 26 - 45 of 45 1 2 Last
Aug 22, 2009 6:30 PM ET #26 (permalink)

"I don't fukking like donuts!"

*Hands em to the cop and points* "He likes donuts dude"

What is that from?

Aug 22, 2009 10:02 PM ET #27 (permalink)

Saxon are great, man! Tygers of Pantang, I know some people that love 'em, I've kind of always dismissed 'em cause I thought they were punk, which I'm not hugely into. My mates were into punk and listened to Tygers, so I made a one-two assumption and connected the dots lol

Aug 23, 2009 12:53 AM ET #28 (permalink)

Metallica's Load got me into metal. I'm not a huge fan of the direction they took with it, but it's still a pretty good country-metal record.

Aug 29, 2009 7:52 PM ET #29 (permalink)

AP1, it's from that 3 dvd set that Pantera released. I just wiki'ed it cause I couldn't remember the exact name. It's called "3 Vulgar Videos From Hell." If I recall, (correct me if I'm wrong) it was Dimebag chasing Yngwie Malmsteem around with a dozen of Dunkin' Donuts, trying to make him get some, and Yngwie protesting "I don't like donuts!" with his rediculous accent. You can probably find the scene on youtube if you look.

As for me, after my boy band phase in 6th grade, I got really into classic rock and the rock of that time (Disturbed, Godsmack, etc.). Like most people my age, Metallica's Black album got me started into metal, then I found my uncle's copy of Master Of Puppets and I was in love.

Btw, I wanna go out and say it's ok to like early Metallica. I don't even like the Black album anymore, so I understand the hatred for what they've done to themselves over the years with shitty music and lyrics. The only thing still consistent is Kirk's extra whammyfied solos which I enjoy. Don't feel like a backstabber to metal if Seek And Destroy pops on the radio and you start headbanging, I'll be right there headbanging in spirit.

Aug 31, 2009 6:08 PM ET #30 (permalink)

I didn't listen to much music in general until one december i asked for a slipknot and slayer cd for christmas, this is beacause I could no longer listen to the mainstream. I only got the slipknot cd(them and korn were the only nu metal i really liked when i started finding other bands), but i got really sucked into it, then i started listening to more classic metal and not as much of todays. I eventually got sort of bored and started listening todays metal again so today i listen to most types of classic and current heavy metal. Today my favorite subgenres are black metal, thrash metal, some metalcore, alternative metal, death metal, and glam metal.

(This post was last edited on September 13, 2009 at 10:46 PM ET.)

Sep 6, 2009 2:59 PM ET #31 (permalink)

It was a combination of god smack being my first metal concert and slipknots first cd. as for death metal aggresor's death threat pulled me in. thrash metal would be slayers Divine Intervention I picked it up When I had know Idea who slayer was about a year latter I picked it up gave it a few listens and was hooked. Black metal dissections storm of lights bane. Which is one of the best black metal album i have ever heard.

Sep 7, 2009 7:46 PM ET #32 (permalink)

I'm not sure where to start. Godsmack's Voodoo album was my first hard rock cd. I was also into Creed because I didn't know any better. A friend introduced me to Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and Sevendust. And then I attended Slipknot's POA tour and proceeded to buy the album of every band on that bill. It was pretty much a landslide then. However, the next big sub-genre I dove into was melo-death. I still credit In Flames with solidifying my love of metal.

Sep 7, 2009 8:14 PM ET #33 (permalink)

^Yeah, In Flames were one of the first death bands I got into. Still love the old stuff, though the last couple of albums have kinda bored me.

Sep 9, 2009 2:52 AM ET #34 (permalink)

Earliest i remember was loving Iron Maiden and knowing all the words to "back off b***h" from GnR use your illusions 2 when i was about 6

Sep 11, 2009 9:33 PM ET #35 (permalink)

hey DIE, im kinda getting into IN FLAMES, what would you say their best album is?

Sep 11, 2009 11:13 PM ET #36 (permalink)

My first, therefore favorite is Clayman, but Colony was a beast of an album as well. Whoracle is the last album with Bjorn Gellote on drums, but also a great album with a great Depeche Mode cover. To me, any one of those is a winner. I know you didn't ask me, but I wanted to drop my 2 cents. Are you a Dark Tranquility fan? If not, check 'em out.

Sep 12, 2009 2:11 AM ET #37 (permalink)

Clayman definatly in flames best album

Sep 12, 2009 4:38 AM ET #38 (permalink)

AP1 - I'm a little late on this one but yeah, FaceTheSlayer is right on the money. It's a scene from PanterA's "3 Vulgar Videos From Hell" DVD.

Here's the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljf-ez6MP88

Sep 12, 2009 7:39 PM ET #39 (permalink)

Reroute to Remain actually got me into In Flames, but Whoracle is by far my favorite. I'd skip Soundtrack (though it has gems) on. Pretty much where they went downhill.

Dark Tranquillity I'm actually only ok with. I pretty much listen to their double-disc Exposures - In Retrospect and Denial. The last two albums didn't hold my attention.

The only real (newer) melo-death I listen to now is Scar Symmetry.

Sep 12, 2009 10:19 PM ET #40 (permalink)

It's been a long road, but the start of the road was an Elvis 8-track that my mom bought me: 50 Million Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong. Wish I still had that thing.

Sep 15, 2009 6:41 PM ET #41 (permalink)

For me it started with Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock and through their links I found Korn and the like. Moved onto Drowning Pool, Rob Zombie and Disturbed (who were quite a new band at the time) before picking up a best of Black Sabbath album because it was cheap and I was told they were a great band. After that I didn't listen to my nu-metal records for about 3 years. Got into Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth and all that. When I was fifteen I started looking into thrash alot more and became a fan of Slayer, Exodus, Testament, Venom and Onslaught among the others. I remember being sixteen and thinking I was the biggest metal fan in town because I had an Exodus album. It took me a long time to start to get into death metal but these days I like the legends like Obituary, Cannibal Corpse and (my personal favourite) Suffocation. I've also been a fan of stoner/doom metal bands like Cathedral and Orange Goblin for years. Never got into metalcore, black or power metal though.

Little fact: I bought my first Pantera record the night Dimebag was killed. Co-incidence?

Oct 1, 2009 1:27 AM ET #42 (permalink)

when i first heard anything metal was back in 2000 when i was 13 years old. Up to that point i was really sheltered due to my mom bein an apolistolic pentecostal so all i had heard up until then was church music and very very very lil country and boy band music from my friends at the time. then i moved and my first friend i made asked what music i listened to and i didn't have an answer so he just said "well come here" and he put in LD 50 by Mudvayne and played Dig. from that point i was hooked and have never looked back. Now my fav band is Lamb of God and metal is all i listen to.

Oct 1, 2009 3:30 AM ET #43 (permalink)

I started out with Metallica "Kill "Em All", Black Sabbath "Masters of Reality",then stuff like RATM, Mudvayne, Deftones...that nu metalish crowd introduced me to screaming, then in high school I discovered BTBAM, Dillinger, and TBDM and my musical perspective changed forever. Now I'm really into death metal and grindcore (Deeds of Flesh, Necrophagist, Viraemia, BTM, Decrepit), I don't hate on breakdowns or deathcore though. Dancing is a lot more fun than standing with your arms crossed like some DM elitist idiot :D

Oct 1, 2009 3:35 AM ET #44 (permalink)

^LD50 was, and still is, a fantastic album. I really wish Mudvayne were still good. Seems like all the nu-metalish bands that used to be great have gone bad... Sevendust, Static-X, Mudvayne, Korn, Rammstein, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park etc... They've all become really, REALLY boring over the years. Linkin Park were never that interesting in the first place, but even they've managed to get worse!

Oct 1, 2009 2:08 PM ET #45 (permalink)

I started off with Metallica. When I was only 6 months old my dad and mom took me to a Metallica concert after it was over with and all the "original" members signed my pjs. Every since then I've been listening to Metallica and anything that will make other ppl cry and scream with agony listening to it.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum