"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Can I get your testimonials?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Bugs Reports, Suggestions, and Feedback >> Can I get your testimonials?

Displaying 22 posts
Displaying 22 posts
Nov 2, 2010 11:06 PM ET #1 (permalink)

On the topic of feedback, I'd love to get some testimonials from anyone who has a few minutes. Please share 1-3 sentences about what you think of Metalunderground.com and/or how the site has helped you in any way (follow news, discover new music, spread the word of your band, etc.). Thanks in advance!

Nov 2, 2010 11:35 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Metalunderground as helped me find out about Metal all around the world. I came to this website looking for new music and found bands like Norther and Allegaeon.

It comes across as professional and straight to the point with news and reviews. (unlike Blabbermouth, where thier users ruin the news for others)
This is a reliable source for my daily metal fix and always has positive, fun people to discuss topics with.

The site is good DB! Wouldn't have it any other way!

(This post was last edited on November 2, 2010 at 11:40 PM ET.)

Nov 3, 2010 11:23 AM ET #3 (permalink)

The Mighty MU has really got me connected into the metal scene. No longer do I have to take my friends' advice on music, but I find my own music now (thanks to the top-notch reviews) and can discuss it freely, unless it's Slipknot :P

My tastes in metal has expanded so much, and I've developed a much better approach to music thanks to MU.

Also, Blindgreed's troll vanquishing is funny as shit to read.

\m/

Nov 3, 2010 11:57 AM ET #4 (permalink)

I used to use Blabbermouth exclusively for my news. Now I don't really pay attention to news anymore. I don't remember how I found this site, but I liked it because of the back and forth on the threads. Music review sites are a dime a dozen, so no big deal there. I come here for the comraderie. I have quite a few online friends now thanks to this site. This is the first site I open up when I get to work, and I keep it open all day. I even have it on my phone.

Nov 3, 2010 5:39 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I used to party all night and sleep with lingerie models, until MetalUnderground.com showed me that I could have more.

Nov 4, 2010 12:42 AM ET #6 (permalink)

Lol @ Oz.

I visit a few times daily and mainly come here for the forum discussions these days, even though I comment more scarcely now than the rest of the older regulars. It was the only great source news for me for a few years, but now with myself following a lot of the bands I like with on Facebook and Twitter I get tour dates first that way. So with that and a few other metal sites I like to visit now (Metal Sucks, Metal Archives, The Number of the Blog), the looking at news and discovering music on here has gone down a bit personally. I still like to read the interviews and some of the reviews, though.

This is the best metal site for friendly forum discussion, hands down.

Nov 4, 2010 9:27 AM ET #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys, keep em coming!

Feb 2, 2011 10:28 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Anyone else care to take a stab at it? Anyone?

Feb 3, 2011 6:19 AM ET #9 (permalink)

Metalundergrounds constant inflow of great reviews written by top-notch writers has introduced me to what are now some of my very favorite bands. Keep it metal \m/

Feb 3, 2011 9:22 AM ET #10 (permalink)

i get a shitload of news here for the METAL bands that i like. sometimes a bit delayed info from what i find out from, like what nats said, following bands via facebook, but u can only scroll down in fb for so long to get as much news as u can, than that just come here!! what i don't understand is why some alternative rock bands like linkin park and even some punk bands get covered here, yet my #1 fav band of all time, NIN, doesn't, or, at least, not much... w/e, only complaint i have doug, but that's probably just me being bias lol i've gotten into way heavier shit and discovered proggier stuff that i've come to love cuz of MU (which btw doug, loving eluveitie's [all acoustic/folk album] evocation), not to mention, made cool online friends with all of u guys!! i have to get on here at least once a day!! that's more than i have sex... sad. i know =\ only thing i WOULD change is MORE CONTESTS!! and not even super amazing prizes, just MU merch!!! \m/

just something that bugs me: the album reviews. u've got some awesome reviewers and writers on ur staff that critique perfectly most of the time. but when, let's say, a death metal elitist of the sort, reviews a metalcore album or something, even tho i understand the need to be unbias, they just tend to be a bit extra tough on the said record just cuz it's not their cup of tea, while the completely opposite also happens too. no big issue here, just something that when it occurs, it bugs me.

Feb 20, 2011 7:18 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Sorry DB, I missed this thread the first time around.

Like AP1, this gives me a reason to check the internet and slack off at work. I take a hiatus from time to time when work and home get hectic, but always return. I enjoy the news & reviews; but like Nat, I dwell in the forums mostly. I appreciate the album release updates and even the metal adds.

MU has pushed me towards great music that I've been meaning to check out (i.e. Porcupine Tree) and horror movie recommendations in the forum. As a huge TOOL fan, I have MU (via BG1!!!) to thank for a great bootleg I've acquired.

Mostly, I get to pretend I know what I'm talking about \m/ \m/

Feb 22, 2011 6:16 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Metalunderground is great because it gives me a place to troll. :D

Feb 22, 2011 6:33 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Now seriously.

Ive tried other metal news sites. Blabbermouth gives you a bunch of, essentially, metal gossip crap, and I hear the regular comment posters there are retarted, so, scratch that. Metalsucks has about the same dependability as this site on the major metal events, but with a witty spin on them, so I read the news there more these days, but it's a lot less news, and oin only things they think are important, so I still end up coming back here to get everything I want out of the metal newsworld. And, once again, the regular posters there are regular 4chan fodder...all they do is bicker, troll, and undermine any intelligent discussion with inane immaturity. Basically what I do, except it's EVERYONE on the site. so fuck that.

What it comes down to, is, Even before the forums/threads were started up, there was a great community that assembled itself here and continues to flourish and expand, all running throughout the article comment sections, and thats what kept me glued to this site. The way it was designed to be very user-friendly from the start, and the participation of the staff in the comments and the forums now makes the whole place extremely inviting to new people.

Rockstar Ramblings, Tales from the Pit, Sunday Old School, and Unearthing the (insert random fucking place here) underground sections are also filed under awe-fucking-some.

Feb 23, 2011 2:59 AM ET #14 (permalink)

I second FAN's second post. Because I'm too lazy to articulate that myself.

Except I don't go anywhere else (Blabbermouth was annoying when I tried it before)

Feb 23, 2011 9:25 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Thanks for your testimonials and kind words, guys. Good to have this to draw on when I may need it.

Feb 24, 2011 11:54 AM ET #16 (permalink)

FAN, as usual, basically hit ALL the nails on their fucking heads. blabbermouth sux and is obviously biased towards more mainstream bands especially roadrunner bands of course. metalsucks is good, but not quite like MU as for the reasons FAN said, BUT they do have more interviews and i tend to enjoy theirs more. and then there's the less news savvy but has just has much of a community, metal injection. it is awesome but just for the videos, which is what MU sorely lacks in, but then the site would take forever to load like MI. tho i have found myself cheating on MU with MI solely for the vids and the hilarous podcast called livecast. great bunch to listen to and barely talk metal but enough to still be called a metal podcast. but after having my way with MI, i still go running back to MU, where my heart truly belongs. and like i said, i need some MU merch!! more contests for MU merch!! fuck a shirt or a hat, i want MU underwear!!!

Sep 11, 2011 9:40 PM ET #17 (permalink)

When I first discovered MetalUnderground.com (MU) in late 2005, I was looking for a way to find out what my favourite bands were doing, when their next album was coming out, and so on. After visiting various news sites, I ultimately kept coming back to MU, finding that it was the most consistent site in terms of news coverage. It covered all my favourite bands, and posted news items consistently throughout every day, meaning I always had something new to read.

The format was important too. Easy to read and easy to navigate, MU triumphed over every other news site in every department. I began posting comments on articles, and soon discovered that, unlike other sites, the posters here would actually talk back - and it wasn't just a string of pointless insults either! There was actual, on-topic conversation happening about the bands that I loved, and I could be a part of it!

So I became a member and began discussing the pro's and con's of this band and that, what I thought about this article, why I didn't care too much for that album (but the last two were awesome!), and so on. At the time, I was mostly into bands like System Of A Down, Il Nino, Slipknot, Sevendust, Killswitch Engage and so on. Oh, the shame.

The best part of the MU experience was yet to come however. Once I had established an online identity here (psythe), and began posting regular comments on articles, I found that there were a few names who I would see posting just as regularly as I, and who I would often end up in discussions with over things like why Metallica's upcoming album 'St. Anger' was exciting because they had this awesome new producer on board and so on. I found joy in talking about the latest news about my favourite bands with new friends.

After some time of my relentless war against people that posted inane, purposely annoying or ill-conceived comments (with great pride and little luck), I was asked to help contribute to the site by finding and posting news articles, and eventually even reviewing albums. The student becomes the teacher, if you will. The reason, above all others, that I have kept returning over the past five or so years is that this site and its' users have never stopped teaching me. Through (and strictly because of) MU, my musical taste has gone from the bland mediocrity of nu-metal to the dazzling heights of prog and the hungry depths of death metal. Rather than Korn and Limp Bizkit, I now listen to bands like Opeth, Behemoth, Cryptopsy and Meshuggah. To say my musical horizons have broadened wouldn't say enough. I have a much greater appreciation for quality (musicianship over catchy melody), and a much wider and more varied taste in musical styles. I understand more about music, and about the music I love. And you know what? I've never had so much fun (learning)!

In all these ways and more, MetalUnderground has coloured my life. My gratitude could not be greater.

Sep 11, 2011 10:10 PM ET #18 (permalink)

This site is real and has a large, diverse community of both younger and older fans. It isn't an overpolished bland tabloid format that reeks of impersonal. The one thing I would change? I wish the featured picture (from a given news article) on the home page would change every day to something different so it wouldn't given the mistaken impression that the news hasn't changed. People are very visual.

Sep 20, 2011 9:23 PM ET #19 (permalink)

This site is the perfect mix of professional and personal.
The news articles and reviews are well-written and organized enough to where they're reliable and trustworthy, but at the same time you have the closeness of the staff with the community.
Deathbringer, there aren't many sites where the website founder regularly creates forum threads, has actual conversations with members, comments on articles, et cetera. That alone says a lot about this site. It's the friendliest group of headbangers I've ever seen.
I really like how most news articles have very little bias and how MU reports on everything that's considered metal in some way. The underground part is definitely what makes MU what it is, but there are other websites that focus on the underground - what you don't see often are sites that report on both underground metal and the mainstream. MU is the place to go whether I want to read about Toxic Holocaust or Bring Me the Horizon, "true" metal or "poser" metal... it's all music to me, and I feel like the MU staff feels the same way.
I know that's more than 1-3 sentences, but I couldn't resist. Sorry.

Sep 21, 2011 7:01 AM ET #20 (permalink)

MU is full of fags and cubans. Fuck this place.

Sep 21, 2011 11:10 AM ET #21 (permalink)

I think it would be good to do some sort of giveaway every day or week via MU radio. It would get people interacting with the radio site more frequently, and in turn they would be checking out the bands on it. I don't know how prohibitive the postage would be, though. On the radio, people would tune in and stay glued to it for the chance to win concert tickets, shirts, posters and CD's.

Sep 21, 2011 2:51 PM ET #22 (permalink)

I can check with the Earbits guys and see how that works...

Reply to Discussion or Return to Bugs Reports, Suggestions, and Feedback forum