"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Lefty Guitar

Posted in: Forum Home >> Hot Deals >> Lefty Guitar

Displaying 17 posts
Displaying 17 posts
Oct 16, 2010 10:38 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Urgg. See now here is the deal. I'm a righty who plays left handed guitar, and i have no interest in playing right handed guitar because its' not natural and idunwanna. So, i get that I have to string my guitar so that the lowest pitch is on the bottom and highest is on top (correct?) But, problem is how the freak do you read the chords. i don't want to be left hand-handicapped. I want to be able to do right hand shit, just like i do left.

and suggestions or help here?

Oct 16, 2010 10:45 PM ET #2 (permalink)

You could always buy a lefty guitar, makes life easier...

And reading chords lefty isn't that difficult, you just gotta take a few minutes to make sure you're doing it right. Get the fret numbers if you're really unsure.

Why don't you like playing righty?

Oct 16, 2010 11:29 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Hmm. Not really sure. I just rather go with the flow. and I don't play guitar right handed.
And on the idea of buying a left handed guitar, i have three righties.... that i can do absolutely nothing with at the moment. I don't want to put out for a lefty.
But am i right on the idea of stringing it differently. I am not trying to be like Hendricks, backwards and upsidedown,

Oct 16, 2010 11:46 PM ET #4 (permalink)

(I like how there are four views and only one reply-er. Bastards.)

Oct 17, 2010 1:36 AM ET #5 (permalink)

Lefty here.

1. For gods sake learn to play right handed, you have no idea how much time and hassle it will save you.
2. For gods sake learn to play right handed, you have no idea how much time and hassle it will save you.
3. You have to watch when restringing reverse - some guitar necks have slots which are made for certain string sizes so not all can be restrung. Also, volume knobs and shit get in your road, it's a real hassle.
4. Reading chords (or tabs) does not change, the low E string is still the low E string. If I know what you're looking at I could help more.

Oct 17, 2010 2:01 AM ET #6 (permalink)

lmao.
your not talking me into right handed playing. I am much too stubborn.
And it can't be that hard....
Well i have chords to be read and i can't figure them out. Like the things don't much up on the left side

Oct 17, 2010 2:02 AM ET #7 (permalink)

Sorry, my bastard computer keeps posting things twice. >;.>;

*and why the hell is there slots for string sizes, that...wouldn't even come up if i was making a guitar. Cock mongroles

(This post was last edited on October 17, 2010 at 2:07 AM ET.)

Oct 17, 2010 2:02 AM ET #8 (permalink)

wtf. another repost

(This post was last edited on October 17, 2010 at 2:08 AM ET.)

Oct 17, 2010 2:02 AM ET #9 (permalink)

...this is making me look like a douche...
>;.>;

(This post was last edited on October 17, 2010 at 2:10 AM ET.)

Oct 17, 2010 2:14 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Look at this guitar tab: http://www.tabs4acoustic.com/cours-de-guitare-facile/apprendre-comment-lire-tablature/comment-lire-tablature-debutant.jpg

Now whether you're left or right handed, the thickest string (E beside the A on this pic) is the closest to your chin in terms of what side of the guitar neck it sits on, and the thin E string is on the far side. So tabs don't change.

Oct 17, 2010 2:35 AM ET #11 (permalink)

Mkay, well i am pretty sure that my guitar is already strung like that,
so were good there
but it's these charts that fuck me up
http://freddysmind.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/openchords.gif

Oct 17, 2010 2:37 AM ET #12 (permalink)

Yeah you're not making the best impression.

And listen to Cynic, the man is always right.

Oct 17, 2010 2:53 AM ET #13 (permalink)

Impression? I can't help my computers a fag. And i realize how over-posting is seriously annoying.
Also, I listen up until the point of being a righty, that won't happen.
But i appreciate the help. Google is a failure...

(This post was last edited on October 17, 2010 at 2:55 AM ET.)

Oct 17, 2010 4:01 AM ET #14 (permalink)

In your diagram, the strings on the left hand side of each chart is the thick string, the right side the thin string. So when playing Em for example (the most metal of all chords!) your two fingers will come across the neck and be on the second and third thickest strings respectively.

All of the diagrams are for the first lot of frets on the neck. Pro tip - if you want to learn metal or rock songs, and learn them fast - just learn power chords first. Notice how easy they are to play.

http://guitar.lovetoknow.com/Image:Guitar-power-chord-chart.gif

Oct 17, 2010 4:54 PM ET #15 (permalink)

That site was very helpful. I was reading through it, picking things up and i stumbled upon this. and Uh.. i don't think my fingers bend that way...

Is that like a right hand, left hand transition problem??

This diagram illustrates the first chord we are going to play, a G major chord (often simply called a "G chord"). Take your second finger, and put it on the third fret of the sixth string. Next, take your first finger, and put it on the second fret of the fifth string. Lastly, put your third finger on the third fret of the first string.

http://0.tqn.com/d/guitar/1/0/4/5/opengmajor.gif

Oct 17, 2010 5:12 PM ET #16 (permalink)

It looks like this - http://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads/2010/03/Gchord.jpg

Oct 17, 2010 5:29 PM ET #17 (permalink)

... i don't know why i couldn't figure that out, but thanks.
dyslexia

Reply to Discussion or Return to Hot Deals forum