"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Whats Your Top 5 Favourite Thrash Songs?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> Whats Your Top 5 Favourite Thrash Songs?

Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 71 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 71 1 2 3 Last
Jan 29, 2011 8:41 PM ET #26 (permalink)

mine are:

fight fire with fire-metallica
set the world afire-megadeth
die dead enough-megadeth
i am the law-anthrax
more than meets the eye-testament

Feb 1, 2011 1:37 PM ET #27 (permalink)

This is a hard decision, but as of right now these are it:

Caged Wrath - Aura Noir
Pull the Plug - Death
Conquerer's Supremacy - Desaster
Life Without Sense - Destruction
Bonded by Blood - Exodus

Feb 1, 2011 6:35 PM ET #28 (permalink)

1). Megadeth - Holy Wars.. Always loved Megadeth best. I even have DM signature Seymore Duncan's in my Warlock
2). Slayer - Angel of Death Probably the winner of "most metal song of all time" award. List not complete without it.
3). Overkill - Hello From the Gutter Great dynamics on this song. Works people into a frenzy when they do it live
4). Exodus - Deranged Very overlooked song and band imo. This song rips start to finish. Great tune and band!!
5). Evile - Thrasher I hadn't been all that impressed by new metal in a long time until I heard these guys. The opening riff alone puts this song in my top 5. I'm digging Warpath and Warbringer also. Great to see the kids carrying the torch.

Feb 17, 2011 1:51 AM ET #29 (permalink)

1. Agent Orange-Sodom
2. Angel of Death-Slayer
3. People Of The Lie-Kreator
4. Shoot To Kill-Warbringer
5.March into Fire-Forbidden

Feb 19, 2011 2:25 PM ET #30 (permalink)

^ Another fellow Downey native eh? Do you know if Dark Realm Records is still in business? Last time I went there, Rick was telling me that things were picking up very slow.

Feb 25, 2011 1:19 AM ET #31 (permalink)

honestly, i don't know why people are saying Angel of Death! don't get me wrong, i love the track, but Raining Blood is waaaay more epic in my opinion.

and Agent Orange by Sodom definitely deserves a spot. The opening riff is always stuck in my head!

Mar 18, 2011 8:17 PM ET #32 (permalink)

1. One - Metallica
2. Master of Puppets - Metallica
3. Indians - Anthrax
4. Angel of Death - Slayer
5. Toxic Waltz - Exodus
(Added Bonus) Black Magic - Slayer

Mar 28, 2011 10:12 PM ET #33 (permalink)

Man, this is hard to choose.

1. Desolate Future - Bonded By Blood
2. Riot Act - Exodus
3. My Creation (Bonus on Rust) - Megadeth
4. Disciple/Raining Blood - Slayer
5. Over The Wall - Testament

Bonus:

6. Severed Reality - Warbringer

Apr 7, 2011 1:08 AM ET #34 (permalink)

1. Megadeth- Holy Wars/Bad Omen/Take No Prisoners (I can't decide aghhhh!)
2. Sepultura- Dead Embryonic Cells
3. Testament- Into the Pit
4. Sacrifice- Soilders of Misfortune
5. Sadus- Certain Death

Apr 7, 2011 1:08 AM ET #35 (permalink)

woops double post on accident.

(This post was last edited on April 7, 2011 at 1:15 AM ET.)

Apr 9, 2011 12:57 PM ET #36 (permalink)

My favorites in no particluar order:
Master of Puppets- Metallica
Battery- Metallica
Angry Again- Megadeth
Disciple- Slayer
Holy Wars...The Punishment Due- Megadeth

Honestly, this should have been at least a top 10 question.

May 30, 2011 4:18 PM ET #37 (permalink)

Seasons in the Abyss- Slayer
Holy Wars- Megadeth
Ride the Lightning- Metallica
Inner Self- Sepultura
Hit the Lights- Metallica

May 30, 2011 8:34 PM ET #38 (permalink)

Damn - in retrospect this is an awesome thread, really interesting to see everyone's thoughts and pretty much all had great top 5s. Here's the tally!

1. Slayer - "Angel of Death" (8 votes)
2. Megadeth - "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due" (7 votes)
2. Metallica - "Master of Puppets" (7 votes)
4. Exodus - "The Toxic Waltz" (6 votes)
5. Slayer - "Raining Blood" (5 votes)

That was really just for interest - Metallica for example had a ton of votes but they weren't as focused as Exodus fans. Still cool stuff - I never would have guessed Toxic Waltz was such a favourite, I thought it was just me who loved that track!

May 31, 2011 2:12 AM ET #39 (permalink)

Wow, um...I don't even know haha. Today's top 5 is (subject to changing my mind :P):

1. Megadeth - Holy Wars
2. Slayer - Die by the Sword
3. Testament - Alone in the Dark
4. Exodus - Fabulous Disaster
5. Artillery - Bombfood

May 31, 2011 4:07 PM ET #40 (permalink)

My top five favorites:
These are songs that I cut my metal teeth on and felt really hit on all cylinders. Drums, Guitar, Bass, Vox - the whole package.

1. Slayer - War Ensemble: This is just balls to the wall thrash from start to finish. Great dual solos, awesome speed riffage, and some of Lombardo's best drumming. When Tom shouts "WAAAAARRRRrrr", and Dave follows suit with a frentetic snare tom fill, leading into a crescendoing solo by King, this song has 'win' written all over it.
2. Megadeth - Holy Wars...The Punishment Due: One of their best and a great start to a great album. Great song structure that supports the lyrics. The whole Album has one of Menza's best performances with a great way to start it out by the tom rolls under the opening riff. Friedman shows a lot of thought with his choice of solos and really helped to push Dave into upping his performance as well. Ellefson doesn't let up either and really shines in the (relatively) slower parts of the song.
3. Sepultura - Dead Embryonic Cells: Another classic that has a song structure full of twists & turns. Sep at their aggressive peak. Andreas' solos just sounded out of this world, and the guitar tone he and Max had was dirty, raw and in your face. Igor's drumming was another highlight, with great speed, and one of the first to really pound the china cymbals for added bite.
4. Overkill - Bare Bones: IMHO, I think Overkill deserved to be in the big four over Anthrax, but history and timing weren't on their side. Bare Bones was written during my favorite line-up of Overkill. Rob and Merritt were a hugely underrated duo. Sid's drumming was innovative for the era. Then there's Blitz and DD. 'nuff said.
5. Metallica - Disposable Heroes: While they fell from grace during the black album, Master of Puppets was indeed a masterpiece, it's production values are the only thing preventing it from being my favorite Metallica album over AJFA. Disposable Heroes is the Highlight of the album for me with great riffs, some of Lars' most forceful drumming, Cliff's bass madness, and one of Hetfield best vocal deliveries. The first time I heard him shout "I was born for Dying.." I got chills.

I have to include an Honorable mention.
Exhorder - The Truth: Another band that couldn't quite get the breaks to show the coasts what NOLA was capable of.
This song has a great groove to it, with well written lyrics designed to incite. The drums are a real standout on this entire album. Definitely a great thrasher and worth a mention.

May 31, 2011 4:23 PM ET #41 (permalink)

R10

1: Metallica /Whiplash. 2: Slayer/Angel of Death. 3: Exodus/ A Lesson in Violence. 4: Megadeth/ Black Friday 5: Sacred Reich/ Surf Nicaraugua

May 31, 2011 4:55 PM ET #42 (permalink)

Metallica-shortest straw
Slayer-Antichrist
Sodom-napalm in the morning
Sadus- D.T.P
Aura noir- black thrash attack

May 31, 2011 5:29 PM ET #43 (permalink)

Nice commentary Drum_Junkie - I totally agree about "Dead Embryonic Cells", that track is insane, possibly my favourite from Sep. Kisser's solos are incredibly inventive too.

May 31, 2011 6:31 PM ET #44 (permalink)

Thanks, Cynic!
I hit post message and then realized how long the d@mn thing was. lol

Jun 1, 2011 12:02 PM ET #45 (permalink)

Damn... I've totally missed this one. Here we go:

1. Violence - World In a World
2. Anthrax - Who Cares Wins
3. Metallica - Fight Fire With Fire
4. Slayer - Dittohead
5. Sepultura - Territory

Jun 1, 2011 1:19 PM ET #46 (permalink)

DRI - Oblivion ( with a shout out to Thrashard )
VoiVod-
Metallica- Four Horsemen
Kreator-

Jun 1, 2011 1:38 PM ET #47 (permalink)

DRI - Oblivion ( with a shout out to Thrashard )
Exodus- A lesson in violence
Metallica- Four Horsemen
Exodus- A lesson in violence
Slayer- Crypts of eternity

Jun 1, 2011 1:44 PM ET #48 (permalink)

^^^^^ sorry all. thought this was a top ten. Honorable mention to Voivod- warriors of ice, Kreator- Pleasure to kill

Jun 19, 2011 4:36 AM ET #49 (permalink)

Oh man this is hard

In no particular order:
Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Megadeth - Last Rites/Loved to Deth
Insane - Evil Is At Hand
Whiplash - Nailed To The Cross
Slayer - Black Magic

Jun 19, 2011 5:49 AM ET #50 (permalink)

This is a tough one...My top 5 Thrash songs

1. Slayer - "Raining Blood"
2. Morbid Saint - "Assassin"
3. Sodom - "Marines"
4. Testament - "Musical Death / The Legacy (Live)" (Yes, both songs have to be together)
---Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9RIk53Atmw
5. Kreator - "Pleasure to Kill"

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum