"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Zee Sweetest Breakdowns in the realm of 'core

Posted in: Forum Home >> Core >> Zee Sweetest Breakdowns in the realm of 'core

Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 57 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 57 1 2 3 Last
Dec 4, 2010 6:24 PM ET #26 (permalink)

I actually did like In Dreams, honestly from the first moment I heard it. I like everything by them I've heard so far. I listened to a random half dozen songs or so from In Dreams, Forging a Future Self, and Rareform, and it was all good. I think that's all their albums? I checked out the re-release of Rareform a bit but I couldn't really tell the difference.

Yeah man this style of music is growing on me a bit too, but not every band that does it, only certain ones that give off this ultimate heaviness while still being increadibly musical. Djent is pretty sweet but I barely know anything about it.

Thanks for Veil of Maya!

I'm kinda noob to this music but if I come across some sweet bands I'll be sure to drop them.

Edit: Elitist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1DkjocY6vQ
Someone recommended these guys on a Veil of Maya video, they're not too shabby.

Also check out The Contortionist.

(This post was last edited on December 4, 2010 at 6:35 PM ET.)

Dec 5, 2010 1:08 AM ET #27 (permalink)

i've basically just gotten into "djent" myself. the best djenty stuff so far are meshuggah obviously and vildhjarta and atb. i rlly like forging a future self, but they gotta re-issue it with anthony and better quality too. np about veil of maya. don't rlly like their previous albums, too deathcore'ish. but [id] is awesome. i love the vocalist's highs. if u wanna get more into djent, like i do also, check out this entire MU-like website got-djent.com. pretty kool. i'm gonna go check out those bands right now, even tho i alrdy did and didn't rlly think much about them.

Dec 7, 2010 2:50 AM ET #28 (permalink)

Hhaha n0thinghead, you getting into this 'djent' craze as well? Man this past month I've been hooked on so much djent. Not to turn this thread into a djent thread though.

Vildhjarta (cant spell lol) is amazing - ever since hearing shiver I've been waiting for the album as well. Circles, monument, and uneven structures ar egreat djenty bands too.

Dec 8, 2010 3:43 AM ET #29 (permalink)

CHECK OUT NEW SEATTLE METALCORE BAND- END OF EXPECTATIONS!!!
NEW EP out now on ITUNES! "SKUTS FOR DAYS"

Check them out at.....
www.myspace.com/endofexpectations
OR
www.facebook.com/EndofExpectations

Dec 8, 2010 9:22 PM ET #30 (permalink)

Goddamnit I didnt even realize how many djent bands I knew until I looked up a list and recognized a shitload of bands. Math metal and Mathcore bands tend to be lumped in this catagory alot though. Why does using math make that weird ass sound so consistently? Thats fucking weird if you ask me. I know Meshuggah and After The Burial use math all over the goddamned place. If you ever read After the Burials explanation for how they wrote their song "Pi- the Mercury God of Infiniti", you will shit bricks lmao. It's almost impossible to accurately cover that song without knowing the mathematical procedure of all the timing and other musical mumbo-jumbo because of the rule the song structure follows.

Oh, and Nothinghead, def check out the new ATB album. The new vocalist got WAAAAAY better, and while the songs got a little more structured and less rediculous, most of the album is more badass sounding than anything theyve ever done. The songs Sleeper, Encased in Ice, Pendulum, and Frailty are my personal favorites, but Promises Kept leaves a bad taste in my mouth...a gay taste to be exact....but most of the album is awesome. Think Meshuggah done Lamb of god style...if that makes any sense lol

Dec 9, 2010 10:30 AM ET #31 (permalink)

screamer (can i call u that? lol): yeah man. this djent shit's awesome! but alotta bands are just mesh-knockoffs (like uneven structures), or basically all try too hard to sound like vildhjarta (yeah, it's spelled correctly lol), like monuments (like them a little bit, just can't get over the post-hardcore sounding vox). circles was meh mainly kuz of the vox, but ALOTTA djenty bands are killed by vox. i've learned that vox are VRY difficult to match or at least fit into djenty type of music. 'jarta does it pretty well, but mesh is best at it imo (even tho their repetitiveness and slow sound bother me quite a bit). i RLLY don't like clean vox with djent. idk, it just seems rlly off to me. with the exception of katatonia, clean vox and heavy metal music doesn't rlly blend well imo. that's why i don't like periphery, textures, tesseract (the better one tho), etc.

zotis: as i thought, i didn't like either band lol sorry bud. elitist is exactly like a wannabe abr (august burns red, jic udk), and what kills it for me is them looking like weezer + a7x lol the contortionist WAS pretty good, but they're like the btbam (between the buried and me, also jic udk) of deathcore (eeww). weird transtitions that just seemed odd to me.

lastly, my friend, FAN: bro, ur the fucking master of analogies dude lmao as for all the u said about the new atb, i can't believe u even liked it lol at first, i ALMOST hated it. too melodic (even tho that's what i like, but that's not what i listen to them for). too much simple polyrhythms. NOT enough of atb's signature groovy sound (rareform [reissue with anthony] FTW!!!). but i still kinda liked it a little bit. then, it grew on me even more, and i've come to love it more and more with each listen. i LOVE every single song now. i understand exactly what u mean by "the bad taste" lol but after a bit, i started tasting chocolate (who the FUCK doesn't like chocolate?? i DARE anyone to argue!!). i fucking love anthony's voice and he's a badass. i posted on fb a vid from of them live at the culture btw. i believe it was summer slaughter, which i think u said u went to. btw, don't forget to drop a nigga a line once ur phone issue's resolved. hope to catch u at a show some day man (hopefully it'll be ATB).

(This post was last edited on December 9, 2010 at 10:34 AM ET.)

Dec 9, 2010 7:51 PM ET #32 (permalink)

dude footage of ATB doesnt compare to the real live thing. Definitely a must see. Instant fan. After a whole day of listening to deathcore I didnt much care for, these guys took the stage and left me in awe from the first song, even though it was chock full of the breakdowns I was making fun of all day. I was gonna see them a second time but They were opening up for Emmure...and well...lets just say me and emmure dont get along the way jews and the holocaust dont get along, so I was not about to spend ANY money supporting them, not even for ATB, but I damn near caved anyway, ATB are that intense. If they come this way again I'm definitely dragging you there dude lol

But yeah, the new album simultaneously impressed and upset me immediatly. I didnt like Frailty or Penduluum at ALL when I first heard em, now I cant stop listening to either. wha tI realized was that they made their songs more structured than before, which for me was both an improvement and a drawback. Less rediculous riffing and soloing, but more powerful songs overall. What this album did for me was simply point out the REAL potential of this band. There were quite a few songs on this album that had a very artsy Devin townshend approach, what with the layered vocals and backing melodies and shit. If they keep improving in this direction, besides just their metalcore approach to meshuggahness....then I await the album AFTER this one even more. I said this to one of my friends about these guys.. "everything that screamo and deathcore does wrong, After the Burial takes those same things and does them RIGHT" and I think this album showcases that statement more than either of the two before. and yeah, fuck their first vocalist lol

oh, and excuse all the long winded shit about after the burial, I've been listening to them nonstop for like two weeks now and none of my friends listen to them, so I've had all these musings cropping up in my head this whole time and just now having the ability to talk about it lol

Now Playing: Dillinger Escape Plan- Lurch

Dec 10, 2010 9:47 AM ET #33 (permalink)

FUCK. YEAH. DUDE.

been listening to them nonstop for almost 2 months or so now, especially the new album ever since it came out. also been listening to vildhjarta, veil of maya (mainly their latest album, "[id]") and the human abstract's single new, "faust". u'd like the latter since u know and ur into music theory shit. LOL u mention about venting out all about atb, since none of ur friends like them, kuz i'm in the same boat man, besides the guy from some class i had this semester telling me to re-check them out. i say "re-check" kuz i liked forging a future self awhile back with their first singer, but then after awhile i discarded them. then this guy told me to check them out now which was rareform at the time and i didn't like it kuz it was with their second singer, Grant. he just sounded too deathy and alot like through the eyes of the dead imo. but i found out about the rareform re-issue with their newer singer Anthony (the badass) and fucking loved it. about 2 months later, in dreams came out and atb is now more or less one of my fav bands lol can't wait to see them live some day \m/

Dec 10, 2010 9:37 PM ET #34 (permalink)

i actually tried checkin out Human Abstract a few days ago. While I definitely saw the great musicianship there, the clean singing got to me after a few songs. Not that the clean singing was bad; it actually worked real well with the songs, it's just I'm not in the mood for that shit lately. I've been in a grind and extreme death mood lately actually, (Vital Remains, Cannibal corpse/Wormrot, Nasum)so anything without a dude ripping his vocals to shreds isnt doing much for me right now lol. I vow to keep them in mind though. I didnt seriosuly check out Gojira till two years after I saw them open for Lamb of god, and now I'm waiting eagarly just for non-album music for charity from them. Behemoth is my favorite band besides Led Zeppelin and I couldnt stand them when I first tried to listen to their music. So I sincerely am keeping abstract in mind(huh? reread that sentence lol), just in case i get back in a proggy/ compositonal mood. :P

and yeah, right off the bat i noticed ATB's new singer got hella bettah. I just read an interview with their guitarist Trent Hafdahl and he explained it very well. Since the new singer was just resinging the old guys lyrics, he wasnt putting 100 percent into them because they werent his lyrics. this album he wrote pretty much everything and was way more involved in setting up song structures, so he put everything into the stuff HE wrote the way HE wanted to do them. If you wanna read the interview it's on metalsucks right now.

www.metalsucks.net/2010/12/09/after-the-burials-trent-hafdahl-the-metalsucks-interview/#more-49900

Dec 11, 2010 8:15 AM ET #35 (permalink)

FAN: Ah yess, vocals are usually really hard for bands to get right. I agree with you on ATB, the new vocalist is amazing, even though I wasn't overwhelmingly impressed by their new album (I thought it was good, definitely a decent improvement vocalwise, but it was something about the style and just the "vibe" of it that didn't do it for me...)

True on the clean vocals too. And a lot of djent bands are attempting clean vocals which sometimes works in favor for them, but sometimes they just sound too damn post-hardcore-ish and waily to complement the instruments properly. I mean, the vocals may be sung well, but their just not the right style for that kind of music. That's why I've been really into a lot of instrumental bands nowadays... Russian Circles, If These Trees Could Talk, Dysrhythmia.... Animals as Leaders is also really fucking awesome. Tosin is so skilled at guitar and every song is an amalgamation of musical mindrape.

Oh btw, if you're into like technical deathcore and whatnot check out this band, Kakuna Vs. Metapod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9A4H5VjZWY.

They've got quite a bit of trance-influences and breakdowns so if you're not really into that kinda shizz they may not be your cup 'o tea. But seriously, the band is so damn skilled and amazing, they really deserve more fans. I guess im partly biased as my friend helped contribute to the project, but still, they're pretty damn good.

Dec 12, 2010 1:18 AM ET #36 (permalink)

About the KVM, Roy told me the album will definitely be done by June so I'll have something cool to take with me on summer vacation.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the clean vocals in Tesseract and Vildhjarta, and I think the ATB album takes like 3 listens until you start loving it.

Also, another suggestion for breakdowns, check this stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttn1otpx7zA

I guess it's quite slam influenced, but of course that means it's chock full of breakdowns and squeals.

Dec 12, 2010 5:32 PM ET #37 (permalink)

fvckin' hate squeals. rlly picky on growls tho. but i love highs!! veil of maya's singer's highs are awesome.

FAN: u've probably checked out THA's old stuff, which i dig the music, but it rlly wasn't rlly defined yet imo. and the vocalist murders them. NOW, with a new singer and a MUCH better (perhaps even AMAZING) refined sound, they're something else entirely. a must re-check out.

the human abstract's new single, "faust"......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29wl7QeUXqg

and their new album's song sampler.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8IHy7XdbHg&feature=channel

Dec 12, 2010 10:25 PM ET #38 (permalink)

Rayze you got it for me on the dot. The first time I checked out the new album, hated it. second time, I was a little more open, and took certain songs in a different context, but still felt wrong about it. Third time, I was actually getting really addicted to listening to it, and still have a problem with only one song, promises kept( it's the clean-singing in it, sounds too post-hardcore/screamo for me to give a fuck)

The funny thing is, I just grabbed the Animals as leaders album too, and it really does remind me of trent hafdahl's playing from after the burial. As it turns out, Tobin Abaasi(AaL) used to be the guitarist in a progressive hardcore band (forget the name), which now makes sense to me as to why After the burials sound reminds me so much of Animals as Leaders. I would reccomend Animals to anybody who liked AFter the Burials guitar playing. Definitely a common thread there.

As for Abstract...nah dude, still not in the mood for that stuff right now lol. Good cop/bad cop vocals are always sketchy for me anyway. I like the instrumental stuff besides what i think are pointless breakdowns, and like I said, I do think the clean vox are actually good, as opposed to 90% of the metalcore I used to rant about, so I'm still keeping them in mind. I'll download the new album when it comes out to give em a proper shot.

now playing: Gojira- Flying Whales

Dec 13, 2010 12:55 AM ET #39 (permalink)

Wow nice prediction skills on my part I guess.

Really, I don't think Tosin Abasi sounds like Trent. Maybe their rhythm and speedpicking and sweeping, but Abasi has his crazy 8-finger tapping and finger picking style which is really fusion like.

But yeah I guess I would agree that I first thought of ATB when I heard AAL, cause of the "djentyness" of it.

Nothinghead: Wow you're the opposite of me, almost. I think highs get annoying if not used with discretion, but I really love lows, and squeals and gurgles used occasionally make my happy. Each to his own though, it would be ridiculous if you could actually have a legitamate arguement over the superiority of harsh vocals. It would be someone insane like Cynic who would have all these points on the techniques and history, etc.

(This post was last edited on December 13, 2010 at 12:58 AM ET.)

Dec 13, 2010 1:25 AM ET #40 (permalink)

Yeah Elitist got boring pretty quickly, they're just one of those generic imitation bands. They sounded alright at first glance.

As for Veil of Maya, I like Deathcore so their deathcorish stuff doesn't bother me at all.

I will definitely have to check out that got-djent.com.

As for the screaming discussion, I like all forms to at least some extent. I don't really find my liking or disliking on wether it's high, low, squeal, etc... so much as wether the certain individual is actually doing it well. Sometimes squealing is annoying, other times when it's done just right it's awesome. I started off with Post-Hardcore and Metalcore, and at first I really didn't like Death Metal growls at all or those deep lows, but it's all grown on me and now I just love it all.

What I really hate are those non-lyrical corny vocals in Rock, Jazz, Scat, and whatnot, bee bop da da dum dee.

Dec 14, 2010 9:00 AM ET #41 (permalink)

completely understand u zotis. every single thing u said man.

i do like lows and scream obviously. i even like some growls and shit, but i just canNOT stand squeals. wtf is the point of incomprehensible pig noises?? i love highs just bc it's difficult to do them w/o ripping one's throat to shreds (like what FAN mentioed about lows and screams) and they're just so different. that's rlly what catches my interest in any band of any genre (metal or not), is that they're different, unique and stick out to me, in an ocean of generic, mediocre imitation bands. so far the best highs i've heard as veil's singer, especially on the [id] album and the singer of an old deathcore/metalcore band, the agony scene. best. highs. ever. i know what u mean, rayze, that highs tend to get annoying, BUT that's if done wrong, or if they just plain suck culo (spanish for "ass hole", sorry, i'm hispanic lol).

i've got to re-check out animals as leaders, again. also, been meaning to check out tesseract a bit more.

and FAN, i'm glad to see that ur getting more into gojira lol awesome/badass band. alotta ppl give them shit for their vox, which i don't understand at all, but w/e, like rayze said, "each to his own". i've got much love for that band. they combine 2 things i love in music in general, heavy metal music and weird, experimental stuff. so when a metal band experiments with the stuff that they do, it gets to me. they're just not afriad nor do they even care about what's the typical death metal or prog metal band supposed to do, to do somethings different and push the envelope to extents beyond the realms of metal. yeah, i like them lol

Dec 16, 2010 9:25 PM ET #42 (permalink)

"Wtf is the point of incomprehensible pig noises??" Well the incomprehensible part I think is pretty moot considering what most people think about music with screaming in it in the first place. The pig noises is something I had an issue with at first too. It sounds corny, lame, retarded, etc... but I duno, one day that just wasn't an issue for me anymore and I can't really explain it. I guess it's just something you have to get past so long as the person doing it is doing it creatively and with skill.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Nr-VIP8jA

And the pig squeals in this one are non-lyrical and there aren't that many but you just have to listen to this and the video is hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw63k8wA1vk

(This post was last edited on December 16, 2010 at 9:35 PM ET.)

Dec 19, 2010 3:39 PM ET #43 (permalink)

For highs, what do you think about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gto_IYvlYLA

Personally I love it, but I don't think the music will be your style.

What music do you like for highs like you were talking about?

Dec 20, 2010 3:24 AM ET #44 (permalink)

A few breakdowns I enjoy just off the top of my head:

Just about any Asking Alexandria breakdown is nice, I think. In particular I'd have to pick about 2:07 in on If You Can't Ride Two Horses at Once... You Should Get Out of the Circus. Especially when the lead comes in over it.

Miss May I does an amazing job with breakdowns too. At least I think they do.

2:04 into Hester Prynne by As Blood Runs Black is a pretty nice one.

1:37 of Awaken the Dreamers by All Shall Perish. The Bass in it is pretty badass IMO.

Can't really think of any more off the top of my head.

Dec 20, 2010 7:36 AM ET #45 (permalink)

As Blood Runs Black, and All Shall Perish are solid bands for sure. I can't really take Asking Alexandria seriously though...

I like how you showed the exact times of the spesific breakdowns though. Must admit I haven't taken it to that level myself yet. I haven't really delved much beyond the fundamentals of breakdowns. And it dissapoints me when bands don't focus on every element of their music just as much as their breakdowns. "Overspecialize and you breed in weakness." -Ghost in the Shell

(This post was last edited on December 20, 2010 at 7:37 AM ET.)

Dec 20, 2010 8:30 PM ET #46 (permalink)

Yeah breakdowns have been pretty much perfected by now by many bands. I found a new guy Chad Haynes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=999630&content=music

Since this appears to be not only a breakdown but a djent topic this guy's got some djent influences (listen to Asylum) and some core influences.

Dec 22, 2010 9:02 AM ET #47 (permalink)

zotis: dude, i did NOT like ANYTHING video u linked me to. one was funny tho lol and those aren't the highs i like. like i mentioned, quite possibly the best highs are veil of maya, more specifically on the "[id]" album, and the agony scene. sorry, i can't give u any link kuz i'm at work and youtube's blocked =\

Dec 22, 2010 9:12 AM ET #48 (permalink)

Hmm, I thought you'd at least like Autoscan. Meh. As for the Saetia (highs) video, that band is one of the best and probably the most well known Screamo band there is. Do you like any "real" Screamo? Anyway, that technique they use for those highs is amazing.

Dec 23, 2010 8:27 AM ET #49 (permalink)

probably not any REAL screamo. another (metal) band that's got sweet highs, but also some amazing lows, is heaven shall burn. if udk them, check them out. now.

Jan 7, 2011 10:47 PM ET #50 (permalink)

Real Screamo is amazing for it's exhale screams, as most Metalcore and Post-Hardcore uses inhale (I think). Some Post-Hardocre/Metalcore can compete with Screamo for highs, but I think of all of the music I've listened to, Screamo related genres, like Emotive Hardcore and Emo Violence have the best highs. But when it comes to lows I turn to Death Metal and Deathcore (genres I'm becoming more acquainted with recently), but there are some exellent lows in Post-Hardcore/Metalcore. But I'm really not an expert on the subject, I've just pieced this together from my own personal impressions.

Hmm, well thanks for Heaven Shall Burn, I may have heard them before but the name didn't ring a bell. I listened to Endzeit, a decent range from high to low but nothing particularily stood out to me. They're no Iwrestledabearonce when it comes to vocal range, but then again who is?

I should have dropped this band in here before, check out the breakdown at 00:33. But anyway, let me know what you think of their high's and low's. I personally find these guys amazing and I hope you'll actually like them this time.

Breeze of the Dying - Blame Me Not (Middle Eastern Deathcore)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Wlyf2KqDI

This Russian band has also get ze sweet breakdowns:
СЛЕЗЫ - Твоя пустая красивая жизнь
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YumG8tswFYA

(This post was last edited on January 8, 2011 at 4:13 AM ET.)

Reply to Discussion or Return to Core forum