"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Zee Sweetest Breakdowns in the realm of 'core

Posted in: Forum Home >> Core >> Zee Sweetest Breakdowns in the realm of 'core

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 57 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 57 1 2 3 Last
Sep 3, 2010 7:27 AM ET #1 (permalink)

Deathcore, metalcore, hardcore, melo-core, WHATEVER!

I'm currently addicted to insane breakdowns and need some awesome song suggestions!

Please kindly list your favorite breakdown songs below...

My favorites:

Kakuna Vs. Metapod - Slurry Dogs (Trance metal/ trancecore... a couple sick breakdowns with interesting twists)

We Butter the Bread With Butter - 13 Wunsche (techno/ deathcore... also known as slowest breakdown at 21 bpm)

After the Burial - Berzerker (technical deathcore/ mathcore... there are quite a few within the song but my favorite is the really funky/groovy typewriter breakdown about 2:50 in)

Veil of Maya - It's Not Safe to Swim Today (technical deathcore)

Sumatra - From Cross to Flame (technical deathcore... one of the best machine-gun breakdowns out there)

Sep 3, 2010 12:22 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Burning The Day - The Last Monarch

Protest The Hero - Wretch

As I Lay Dying - Parallels, An Ocean Between Us

Sep 3, 2010 1:12 PM ET #3 (permalink)

I can't believe you actually like We butter the bread with...well whatever. Next to waking the cadaver I think they're the worst core band in the scene right now.

High on my list of very nice breakdowns are below, in no particular order.
Thy Art is Murder- Laceration Penetration and Soldiers of Immortality
Whitechapel- Vicer Exiser
Parkway Drive- Pressures
Chelsea Grin- Crewcabanger, and Recreant
Carnifex- You can pick any song they have, they're all amazing. My favorite right now is either Names mean Nothing or Slit Wrist Savior.

But god..we butter the bread with butter.....-shakes head- they're so bad XD

Sep 3, 2010 7:31 PM ET #4 (permalink)

im just putting this out there...fuck breakdowns. The delineation of competent musicianship is heralded by the fascination with a musical technique that involves playing slowly and disjointed. Back in my day, people didnt admire breakdowns, they admired things that took skill, like ummm...solos? ....disclaimer: after the burial is the shit imho, but just like with meshuggah or dillenger escape plan, you normally have to understand music theory or play an instrument to know why outside of your own personal taste for them. Veil of maya is mildly intresting, but like burial, its because of what they do WITH the breakdown thats badass, not the breakdowns themselves. Just my opinion, dispute it if you think you need to, i like a good discussion. now playing : bloodhound gang- youre pretty when im drunk

Sep 4, 2010 2:23 PM ET #5 (permalink)

breakdowns are fun if the band members are talented and can do different things with the music to make it sound bad ass. Like, dueling guitars, doublebass patterns, etc.

And the bass drop....don't forget the bass drop!

Sep 5, 2010 5:59 PM ET #6 (permalink)

breakdowns come in all forms so you gotta look around and listen to different types of bands
Whitechapels breakdowns are different from born of osiris breakdowns
just listen to everyone... figure out what YOU like and have fun listening to them

Oct 19, 2010 11:57 AM ET #7 (permalink)

Unearth breakdowns are THE BEST!!!!!!!!! Really the only ones I care to listen to

Oct 19, 2010 1:08 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Unearth's really are amazing haha. They're all very good musicians too. The breakdown in the Glorious Nightmare.....yes. hahaha

Oct 25, 2010 12:15 AM ET #9 (permalink)

The one in the track, "This Lying World", right after Trevor Phipps yells the world BREAKDOWN!!!!!!! Hella sick

Oct 27, 2010 4:24 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Power metal has some good breakdowns. Just search for "power/progressive metal breakdown" on youtube.

Oct 27, 2010 11:07 PM ET #11 (permalink)

extra weak sauce

Nov 1, 2010 12:22 AM ET #12 (permalink)

Im with MBM! Thy Art is Murder- Laceration Penetration has one kickass breakdown!
The 2 guitars trading through the speakers with the double kicks makes for a good poly rhthym. Very enjoyable indeed

Nov 1, 2010 1:44 PM ET #13 (permalink)

I agree. Power metal...? Breakdown? I SAY NAY!

Thy Art's Soldiers of Immorality or whatever it's called. The bass blast at 1:14? I think it is? It's so loud that it drowns out the rest of the instruments for half a second. Jesus christ

Nov 1, 2010 3:03 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Can't wait for the Everytime I die tour!!!!! It starts today! woo

Nov 3, 2010 1:59 AM ET #15 (permalink)

I also thought We Butter the Bread With ... were pretty lame.

Kakuna vs Metapod definitely has the sick breakdowns!

Nov 3, 2010 9:06 PM ET #16 (permalink)

Listening to KvM right now. Some of the most dynamic musical style changes I've ever heard lmao

Nov 16, 2010 7:18 AM ET #17 (permalink)

yeah power metal breakdowns were kind of a joke, but that's cause screamjyser is my friend and goes to my school. glad some people like Kakuna Vs Metapod, I actually wrote like 20 melodic riffs for Roy Browne the leader of the project, so if that album ever gets released, hopefully I'll recognize parts of later songs.

Nov 18, 2010 12:26 AM ET #18 (permalink)

Everyone myspace (lol) Iron Mind and scope out the breakdown in the song The Iron Mind or the Samsara song Man's Worst Enemy!
Or any Terror, Most Precious Blood or Her Nightmare record has some killer breakdowns.

Nov 19, 2010 10:45 PM ET #19 (permalink)

I always thought Pantera had some hella-sick breakdowns, especially on the track "Sandblasted Skin".

Nov 20, 2010 4:19 AM ET #20 (permalink)

Domination's breakdown never fails to get my juices flowin'.

Nov 24, 2010 7:35 PM ET #21 (permalink)

PANTERA!! fuckyeah! haha

Nov 26, 2010 2:28 PM ET #22 (permalink)

Impartial Dismemberment.

Nov 29, 2010 11:35 AM ET #23 (permalink)

after the burial \m/
& vildhjarta!!! (don't know 'em?? check 'em out right NOW!!)

Nov 30, 2010 5:26 PM ET #24 (permalink)

Good bands n0thinghead! Those were sweet! I think I like After the Burial a little more than Vildhjarta.

Nov 30, 2010 5:51 PM ET #25 (permalink)

well 'jarta still doesn't even have an LP out yet. alotta "djent" fans have been waiting for their debut to come for almost a whole yr or so and still no word on even a release date!! and speaking of new albums, did u even like atb's new album, "in dreams"?? not many did, including myself, but it did grow on me tho. i just loved the rareform re-issue (with anthony, didn't like grant's vox) so much that this newer one was kind of a letdown with more melody than groovy parts, but still great nonetheless.

on topic: i'm also getting addicted to these sorta technical, actually musically-skillful breakdowns, specifically "djent" sounding. just starting to like veil of maya. anyone else got any good ones??

Reply to Discussion or Return to Core forum