"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

To all the old school metalheads...

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> To all the old school metalheads...

Displaying 8 posts
Displaying 8 posts
Aug 2, 2009 6:29 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I'm only 20 years old and have been a metalhead since 8th grade. I wanted to create a post where the people who were there in the beginning can recommend the younger generation of metalheads some bands that have been forgotten in time.

I know some bands like Exhorder, Possesed, and I recently found the Canadian thrash group Sacrifice after I saw the singer of Warbringer wearing their shirt at one of their concerts.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 2, 2009 9:57 PM ET #2 (permalink)

I actually wasn't into the underground stuff when I started out (most people aren't), but I discovered some gems from a few extreme compilations like Exhorder and Cerebral Fix that got me buying their albums. The production on those wasn't terrible either, which was a big issue for a lot of the old school metal for me. That's about all I have to offer from the old-school underground.

Aug 2, 2009 10:36 PM ET #3 (permalink)

"I know some bands like Exhorder, Possesed, and I recently found the Canadian thrash group Sacrifice"

If you like those 3 bands then you will most likely enjoy

Razor (CAN)
Mortal Sin (AUS)
Violent Force (GER)
Whiplash (US)
Vio-Lence (US)

If you enjoyed these bands then, let me know and I'll give you a few more.

Aug 2, 2009 10:57 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Y

I'm only 18, so I haven't even been alive for 20 years and I've heard of all of those bands.
People in the underground will never let the past die!

Aug 3, 2009 9:27 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Metal Blade in the '80s had lots of good stuff. The two bands that I can still never get enough of are Hirax and Trouble. Both are still playing in some form or another.

Aug 4, 2009 11:24 AM ET #6 (permalink)

Bolt: Agreed. Anything metal during it's inception usually came off Metal Blade or a foreign label. Overkill is another great one (even though I can't stand Bobby's vocal).

Aug 6, 2009 4:05 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the recommendations, I will start checking out the bands today. I do know Overkill though, I have one of their dvds, but I just find his voice silly yet still enjoyable.

Aug 6, 2009 4:24 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Good shout with Hirax! One of my favourite thrash metal bands along with Onslaught.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum