"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Processing powerhouses; Eventide, TC Electronic...

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> Processing powerhouses; Eventide, TC Electronic...

Displaying 3 posts
Displaying 3 posts
Aug 29, 2010 7:13 AM ET #1 (permalink)

A friend of mine is expanding his recording studio (which he plans to commercialize), and he's looking for a madhouse effects processing unit. Kinda "as much as possible in one box" deal and I hear he's pretty much made up his mind about which unit to get, but he would like to hear some "real life - in use" feedback about certain units.

Since I know there are plenty of audioheads around here with good knowledge on equipment, I would like to know if anyone has feedback on the following units:

- Eventide Eclipse (upgraded or stock)
- TC Electronic FireWorX (same deal)

I know he's covered on the basic Fx side, but he's really looking for a unit which can do something a bit special. Therefore I can see why he's interested in these two units.

As always, All feedback welcomed! Thanks.

Sep 16, 2010 12:44 PM ET #2 (permalink)

haven't heard either of them, but i have always liked TC over eventide, but both put out amazing products. in the end it's about which YOU prefer. so have your friend check both out.

personally i prefer all my FX processing in the box cause it's overall more flexible for me (more FX on more tracks) and i find they give a better visual of whats going on with delays. Also an effect is an effect... unless of course it's reverb, which is very intensive. for reverb i'd prefer a dedicated hardware unit, though, once again, there are amazing software reverbs out there (convolution reverb is amazing in general). in the end it's about where you want to spend your money and what you feel most comfortable with and sounds and does the best with what you are working with...

To summarize, it's very subjective (and trying to match your needs) after you get passed $1,000.

Sep 17, 2010 1:04 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback, Zack.

Basically, what my mate is looking for is a "special" / "out of this world" unit, and I believe he is going for the TC Electronic FireWorX, also known as the "The Fragile" Processor as apparently Trent Reznor used it all the time during that album.
Looking at the fx list of that unit, I can hardly wait to hear what sonical terror we can create this time! ;)

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum