"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Equipment for a starting metal band

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> Equipment for a starting metal band

Displaying 15 posts
Displaying 15 posts
Aug 15, 2010 10:39 AM ET #1 (permalink)

Me and some of my friends have started a band and we have the basic equipment like drums, guitars and amps but we wanna know what else u need when u start performing...

Aug 16, 2010 5:21 AM ET #2 (permalink)

think a loud pa

Aug 16, 2010 5:29 AM ET #3 (permalink)

Ok sweet...is that about it?

Aug 16, 2010 5:30 AM ET #4 (permalink)

You're gonna need cash to support yourselves.

Aug 16, 2010 8:00 AM ET #5 (permalink)

extra guitar picks, hell, an extra guitar. The first gig my band played my guitarists low E string snapped the first song, and we would've been royally fucked if we didn't have a second guitar to use, lol.

Aug 16, 2010 5:27 PM ET #6 (permalink)

I have an xtra guitar...fuck pa systems are expensive but we need it so i just have 2 buy it...look out 4 Betray the Grave ppl!!!

Aug 17, 2010 9:53 AM ET #7 (permalink)

That's weird, my bandmates and I never bought a PA system. We just used a guitar amp. It works pretty much the same.

Aug 18, 2010 4:57 AM ET #8 (permalink)

well yeah thats true only a amp will be enough when you are practicing
but when you want to hit the road you will need a good sound system

good luck on starting your band
what kind of metal you all will be playing
you will do cover songs or your own stuff
if you do covers these are fun to play but if you do try to get as close as you can to the original song
it sucks and it can make or break you band if you play lameass cover songs

Aug 18, 2010 10:29 AM ET #9 (permalink)

We wanna do covers and our own stuff...were mostly thrash with a few death elements in...thanx for the advice, we need all the help we can get...there are no thrash metal bands in south africa so we wanna bring that alive a bit more here.

Aug 18, 2010 8:53 PM ET #10 (permalink)

My ears are awaiting some tunes , man!
Look forward to hearing it DD

Aug 18, 2010 11:20 PM ET #11 (permalink)

South African Death-Thrash. I'm interested!

Aug 19, 2010 6:08 AM ET #12 (permalink)

I second that, Numb3rs (that's your new name)

Sep 15, 2010 12:45 PM ET #13 (permalink)

YOU ALREADY HAVE ENOUGH ALL YOU NEED NOW IS GUTS AND A LOT OF BEER

Sep 27, 2010 4:31 PM ET #14 (permalink)

a basic studio setup in your rehearsal studio so you can record jams and improve and if it's good use it as a demo and save mad cash in the long term if you are serious and are planning on staying together as a group. in the end it's about spending thousands of dollars upfront in the hopes of making tens of thousands in return over the next few years. it's a big investment...

Sep 27, 2010 5:11 PM ET #15 (permalink)

^i like huseys post better. Guts and beer in capslock sounds way more awesome than rehearsing and investing in a reasoned out paragraph.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum