"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Best metal album...EVER!?

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Best metal album...EVER!?

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 38 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 38 1 2 Last
Jul 31, 2009 8:44 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I'm sitting here listening to Appetite For Destruction and I've realized that there isn't a single bad song on this album. In fact, by 80s standards, if GNR's biggest hit was My Michelle, they still would've been bigger than Skid Row. Now, I realize Axl is approaching Michael Jackson-level crazy and saying this might make me fag, but goddamn this album is good! So, what is the best metal album ever? And I don't mean greatest, which includes cultural impact. Best refers solely to music. Example: Nirvana's Nevermind is a greater album than A4D because of it's social impact, but musically A4D is better. Full disclosure: I've given this topic almost zero thought prior to posting, therefore I assume I've passed over quite a few worthy nominations.

Jul 31, 2009 10:14 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Any album by Pantera is up for nomination imo. (let's ignore the power metal years shall we?)

Ride the Lightning (Metallica)

The Apostasy (Behemoth) Personal taste though...

Crack The Skye (Mastodon)

That's all I can think of, and I challenge anyone to tell me any of those albums suck.

Jul 31, 2009 10:24 PM ET #3 (permalink)

The answer is impossible! I really don't want to answer because I'd inevitably be insulting other bands simply because I ran out of time or they slipped my mind.

Jul 31, 2009 10:35 PM ET #4 (permalink)

As my buddy DIE mentioned.. this is truly a tough one to answer.!!

Deep Purple - Machine Head
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell/Mob Rules = Tie
Black Sabbath - Born Again
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti ( or any other album from their entire collection)
Saxon - Denim Leather
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengence
Scorpions - Blackout

Ah Fuck It... there's WAY too many to pick just one!!

(This post was last edited on August 3, 2009 at 7:45 PM ET.)

Aug 1, 2009 4:04 AM ET #5 (permalink)

I'm surprised Reign In Blood hasn't got mentioned yet. No matter what anyone says, it's a great record start to finish and helped to lay the foundations of death metal.

Practically 80% of Judas Priest's albums are great from beginning to end too. I do love me some Priest!

Ministry's "Psalm 69" is perhaps the best Industrial Metal album of all time too.

Aug 1, 2009 7:34 AM ET #6 (permalink)

As much as I now detest Metallica, I gotta put Ride The Lightning at the top.

Aug 1, 2009 9:53 AM ET #7 (permalink)

Egad! That's a difficult one. I mean, Carcass' Heartwork had a massive impact on metal, pioneering a new genre - and it's also a great album. But Reign in Blood, as mentioned before, set out much of the framework for death metal.

I can't decide. My brain asplode.

Aug 1, 2009 10:54 AM ET #8 (permalink)

Arsis - A Celebration Of Guilt. Simply fuckin amazing.
Rust In Peace
Mr. Bungle's s/t

Aug 1, 2009 11:14 AM ET #9 (permalink)

Wow. That's a tough one. There's no way in hell I could decide; for me it varies day to day by what I'm in the mood for.

But somewhere near the top I'd have to place Mastodon's "Crack the Skye," Bathory's "Blood Fire Death" and "Under the Sign of the Black Mark," any of Metallica's first 3 albums (AJFA was good, but the bass - or lack thereof - kind of ruins it for me), and Megadeth's "Rust in Peace" and "Peace Sells."

But I'm sure there's a ton that I'm forgetting about.

Aug 1, 2009 5:33 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Red

Oh well, that's a hard one, let me think...er...Far Beyond Driven Pantera, it has everything on it....a darn I hate that question I could change my mind at any time !

Aug 2, 2009 4:43 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Black Sabbath - s/t, Paranoid, Master of Reality,Vol 4
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power, Far Beyond Driven
Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know

and the list goes on and on....

(This post was last edited on August 2, 2009 at 4:45 PM ET.)

Aug 2, 2009 4:53 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Y

Melissa

Aug 2, 2009 6:07 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Reign In Blood by SLAYER!!!!!!!!! I think that it's number 1 by a long shot.

Aug 3, 2009 12:59 AM ET #14 (permalink)

I dont know, but Im pretty sure Tony Iommi is playing on it.

Aug 3, 2009 1:07 AM ET #15 (permalink)

Yeah, impossible question that leaves out an ungodly amount of worthy nominations. But, based on personal preference, my top 3 are (at the moment):

Judas Priest - Painkiller
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden

Aug 3, 2009 1:48 AM ET #16 (permalink)

Slayer - Show No Mercy
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
Dio - Holy Diver
Anthrax - Among The Living
UFO - Phenomenon (Not really metal but, a great fukking album!)

I can listen to any of these albums for weeks!

Aug 3, 2009 3:45 AM ET #17 (permalink)

Eww...Dio. He's got a good voice, but I'm not a fan of his band. He was/is great in Sabbath though.

Aug 3, 2009 4:34 AM ET #18 (permalink)

hey guys, you forget megadeth rust in piece and peace sells !i say also maiden : somewhere in the time.

i approve slayer reign in blood and ride the lighting from metallica.

For appetite of destruction, it's very a good album also

Aug 4, 2009 2:16 PM ET #19 (permalink)

I'd say Peice of Mind over Caught Somewhere in Time for Maiden for sure. I'd also give a nod to Among for Anthrax, Crack the Skye for Mastodon, Slayer goes without saying (28 minutes of pure hell), and Peace Sells to Megadeth (although Rust was a close second). Burn My Eyes from Machine Head was stellar. Blast Tyrant from Clutch is also great front to back. DRI - Full Steam Ahead was another one. I'd agree that there's no way to capture all of them, but I thought those were definately worthy of mention in a thread such as this.

(This post was last edited on August 4, 2009 at 2:17 PM ET.)

Aug 4, 2009 2:20 PM ET #20 (permalink)

Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavoured Water

Aug 4, 2009 2:21 PM ET #21 (permalink)

Blindgreed1: DRI Fuck yeah!!!! 4 got about that Full Steam Ahead. Good lookin out. Have 2 pull that out.Been a long time.

Aug 4, 2009 2:29 PM ET #22 (permalink)

Oz: LOL! You go on with yo bad self.

Pestilence: Fuck yeah brother. That wole album kicks serious ass. Unfortunately, my ex traded it for meth. Can ya hook a brother up?

Aug 4, 2009 2:49 PM ET #23 (permalink)

I don't know Blind, I think The Blackening tops everything MH has ever done.

Been listening to alot of Cradle of Filth today. Damn I really like this band. Pre-Cruelty, not so much. Everything after is fucking win.

Aug 4, 2009 2:54 PM ET #24 (permalink)

The Blackening was good, but front to back I think Burn was more complete. Sometimes i'll skip through some songs on The Blackening, but Burn always goes front to back (without pause I might add).

Aug 4, 2009 5:51 PM ET #25 (permalink)

Blindgreed1: Fuck. For you sure thing bro.\m/\m/
Hate when people trade music for meth.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum